Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saved a retf from the petstore

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Saved a retf from the petstore

I went to peek at the fantasy frog I still want to purchase from the local mall pet store yesterday and found this little skinny retf living with a gecko and some other lizard.

He has several healed scratches on his back and is sooo skinny.

So, I took him home.

He is currently in quarantine and did well last night. He is currently sleeping on the wall under a plant at the front of the tank. He hopped around exploring last night.

He seems otherwise healthy, but time will tell. I hope I can strengthen and fatten him up a little he should be fine.

I'm presuming the scratches are from living with a lizard with nails and the thin frame are from competing for food.

Wish me luck!

Gosh, my Stickers makes him look like a bean pole.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

Default Re: Saved a retf from the petstore

Congrats on saving him! Beautiful frog!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Shanny

Sad, I'm glad u saved him though! Pet stores like that should not get these animals if these don't know anything about them.
    In fact I just rescued two baby red eyes (the size of a penny) from a local pet store that I didn't even know carried reptiles and amphibians until now.
    It was sad, I went there looking for a water pump and found that this store was now selling reptiles, they are know for there huge supply of fish n I never was so disappointed in them until this past Monday. These poor babies were in a small critter carrier, the woman said there were 3, I took a closer look and yes there were 3, one was sleeping on the wall and looked to be the more healthy, the other was up roaming around in the middle of the day (not a good sign) and the other poor lil guy was dead still in the tank
    I could feel that they were keeping them warm enough, but these poor lil guys had absolutely no humidity, they had a water dish and bone dry moss, lil guys were being sucked dry from this desert like heat and just dying slowly so I had to try and save them, I would have felt horrible just buying the healthy looking one and leaving the other just to die. So I did something that I've never done before and I asked the woman if I could get the both of them for a discounted price and she agreed thankfully! She then made me even more concerned when she was running around looking for something to put them in... She came back with a small dusty cardboard box, threw some gross dried up moss in it and my two new lil friends, I was so horrified.
    I have two semi adult red eyes already that I had purchased in may from twin cities reptiles in st. Paul, mn... Which I am very happy how they handled there animals. They used small cleaned Tupperware containers w hole in top to send ur new pets home with u and they made u sign a paper saying you know and have to means to properly take care of them... This was not the case at all at Forest Lake Pets in forest lake, mn... I would recommend no one purchase or sell any reptiles to that store, they know nothing about the care that is needed and the lady openly admitted to me that she knew nothing about the frogs I purchased, nothing about where they came from or how to care for them.
    As for my two new lil guys, I truly do feel I saved them from death and they seem to be doing much better, last night the healthier of the two ate the other one is now sleeping during the day too, I believe all they needed was the correct environment (heat AND Humidity) and now they can get a fair start at a nice life.
    I would post pics of them and there progress, but I am using an iPad haha.. I do have pics on my fb profile tho, I just upload from my cell phone. So if there's a way I can upload pics onto here from my phone then that would be cool.

Nationality
    [United States]

Crazy, isn't it? My pacman was a rescue also. If they don't know how to house and care for them then they shouldn't purchase them for resale. It's so sad. I think my new baby will be fine. He doesn't show any signs of disease. He's just very malnourished.

He slept during the say today, so that is good. Now hopefully he'lleat tonight and poop. If he ate last night, he hasn't pooped yet. I am hopefully.

He really is a pretty frog. Just have to toughen him up .

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

He's lovely! Hope he does well!

Great save.
    I'd phone the ASPCA about the shop because the conditions they were kept in were beyond animal cruelty, I mean leaving a dead frog in there is just disgusting and is a complete lack of knowledge and care for the frogs I doubt the people who work there actually care about any of their animals.

LazyEyedFroggie

I hate some pet stores I went to a Petcetera in my town, and 2/3 of there fish were dead or extremely weak. Tree frog setups in pet stores are usually really terrible as well. No climbing furniture, bad substrate, lack of water, short tanks... The list of faults in pet stores could go on forever but I'm so glad you were able to rescue this Red Eyed Frog Excellent work!

Shanny

Yes he is beautiful, he does just look like he needs to eat and I'm sure he will be just perfect!
    Il be sure to get in contact with some sort of authority to make sure they cannot sell these animals anymore, that's a good idea I didn't even think of it

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.926661,-93.081288

artes

You still haven't bought that little pacman? Get on it woman! But grats on the red eye, he's going to be really, really lovely soon.

Badger

Lol @artes.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hee hee! He's still there waiting for me . Trying not to anger the husb, lol! He mentioned "after the viv is done". He's not big on tanks everywhere. Will only be 3 after viv is done . Lol! I'm at mall getting hair done. I'll go peek at him after I leave here . Ha ha!

artes

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Hee hee! He's still there waiting for me . Trying not to anger the husb, lol! He mentioned "after the viv is done". He's not big on tanks everywhere. Will only be 3 after viv is done . Lol! I'm at mall getting hair done. I'll go peek at him after I leave here . Ha ha!
    I was just getting my hair done, and he hopped in my lap! Honest!

Nationality
    [United States]

Awe!

Nationality
    [United States]

I love getting my hair done! They make me coffee and I get to just relax. I could just fall asleep with her brushing my hair, ha ha! It's nice to be spoiled .

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    I love getting my hair done! They make me coffee and I get to just relax. I could just fall asleep with her brushing my hair, ha ha! It's nice to be spoiled .
    Sure is although I now do cut my own hair and don't have enough hair to brush :-)
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

Ha ha! Well, would just have to treat you to coffee then .

Nationality
    [Canada]

I just came from Petland, to pick afew things up. I had a quick peek at the frogs and found at least 3 Retf's, that I could see in a display case that i would guess to be 2 gallons. They looked healthy (for now). I mentioned it to the only person I could find there and all she said was its not my dept. I wish my viv was ready I would have brought them home.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh goodness! Poor little guys! It's tough. I wish I could just save them all. I know we all love frogs, but a large percentage of us have rescues. It's pretty scary to think of how many of us, honestly. 2 gallons, that's tiny. I wish there were tighter regulations.

Badger

My recent addition, Pikel, was being kept with another white's in a ten gallon, with 5 or 6 southern toads :l I'm going back soon to get the other white's P:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information