Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RETF vivarium almost done :)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default RETF vivarium almost done :)

It's for my red eyed tree frogs ....

Well, it's nearly done. Just need to finish the waterfall.

Any suggestions on keeping my plants healthy? I have the GE 6500 day lights. I mist 2-3x/day with distilled water. Should I also water the plants and how often? I have been gently watering 2x per week just enough to remoisten the substrate. I do not want any mold but want the plants to stay healthy and living . I'm good with critters, not so much with plants.

The viv has a false bottom, then layered with aquarium gravel, sphagnum peat moss, then Eco earth substrate. I did not keep the plants in their pots. They were planted in the substrate after all roots were cleaned and rinsed thoroughly, until only the roots were visible.

I'd love any suggestions .

My photo upload from my phone is misbehaving, so I'll load some pictures when I get home. Oops!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

Default Re: Retf vivarium almost done :)

Can't wait to see the photos! The plants should grow great under the 6500K lights!

~Royce

Poly

In my coming Tomato Frof Vivarium, for misting/watering of the plants, I hooked up a small 2" round mist sprinkler head to a 12V 1/8" line water pump, and it works great, leave it on for 5 seconds to lightly mist their vivarium, and leave it on for 15 seconds to simulate rain, then pump the water back out of the false bottom once it's drained through the substrate.

~Royce

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

When I mist the RTFs, twice daily, I usually mist enough to dampen the top of the soil and wet the plant's leaves. This should be plenty for keeping the plants. I also wet down the leaf liter too.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks!

The waterfall will go into the space on the right. Not all of the lights are on it yet. Some are over my terrarium.

Think my retf's will like it?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Yes, definatly a huge improvment. Nice work. What dimensions are the vivarium?

Badger

Awesome! They are gonna love it!

SNAKE

Your tank isn't Good at All !
    For TREE frogs you need a High and fairly long terrarium. The dimensions Must be of 60x50x80 (cm) (Lxlxh) for this specie.
    What didn't you do a back round ou of xaxim with ficus pumilia growing on It. Just that would make It Look much better !
    What are your températures In the tank ?

Snake.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Snake, this is not true. Yes, they need a high tank, but that does not mean it needs to be taller than wider. With your logic, a 100*40*40 is way better than a 90*100*100, which is a strange logic (this example is based on that you actually don't know the dimensions, just that it's wider than taller). Also, I wouldn't say that 80cm is minimum in terms of height.
    However, I'm also curious on the dimensions, which I ask about earlier.

SNAKE

Default Re: RETF vivarium almost done :)

What ?
    I mean that his tank, wich does not Look tall at All, isn't adapted. I agréé With you, a 80x80x100 is MUCH better then à 120x60x50. I'm sorry that I Did not expose my thaughts clearely.

Snake.

Badger

Quote Originally Posted by SNAKE View Post
    Your tank isn't Good at All !
    For TREE frogs you need a High and fairly long terrarium. The dimensions Must be of 60x50x80 (cm) (Lxlxh) for this specie.
    What didn't you do a back round ou of xaxim with ficus pumilia growing on It. Just that would make It Look much better !
    What are your températures In the tank ?

Snake.
    Wrong.

As Martin previously stated, they need a high-er tank, but hers looks at least 18 inches, which is fine.

She's been keeping Red eyeds for a while, I'm pretty sure she has a good hold on what she's doing. As for the background, what suits your taste may not suit hers, custom backgrounds take a lot more time than a normal one. I'm not gonna flame you for, well, flaming, but please keep in mind that we like to be as friendly and helpful here as possible, while keeping the person's feelings in mind.

SNAKE

I do not consider m'y messages like mean. I just ask questions and expose my point of vue. 18" inches make 40vm approximately, no ?
    Well, for europeeans, these dimensions are not at All "reglementary". Not even for a terrestrial specie.
    With the substrate, 30 cm are Left ! Thats ridiculously small !!
    I Hope at leat that the tank is situated at at least 5 or 6 feet High from the ground .

Nationality
    [Canada]

rude!!

Badger

Why does the tank have to be 5-6 feet off the ground? My White's setup is only 2 or 3 feet off the ground and they do quite fine.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

First of all, everyone please remember that what I'm about to type is only my own humble opinion. I'm not saying my opinion is right and everyone else is wrong. I'm not "flaming" anyone personally even if I do not agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Wrong.

As Martin previously stated, they need a high-er tank, but hers looks at least 18 inches, which is fine.
    If you ask me, 18" (45cm) really is on the edge of what's too short. I personally believe that it should be at least 24" (60cm), if one should set a minimum requirement (I really think that you always should go as high as you possibly can).

Quote Originally Posted by Badger
    She's been keeping Red eyeds for a while, I'm pretty sure she has a good hold on what she's doing. As for the background, what suits your taste may not suit hers, custom backgrounds take a lot more time than a normal one. I'm not gonna flame you for, well, flaming, but please keep in mind that we like to be as friendly and helpful here as possible, while keeping the person's feelings in mind.
    Unfortunately, the argument "the person have been keeping this animal for a specific amount of time" does not always mean "the person knows what he/she's doing". Now, I'm absolutely not saying that Heather is doing it wrong, I'm just saying that it's good to keep in mind time itself means nothing. I know people that have kept snakes for over several years, and still are "doing it wrong" (feeding an inappropriate amount, extremly small enclosure, wrong kind of vivarium etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by SNAKE View Post
    I do not consider m'y messages like mean. I just ask questions and expose my point of vue. 18" inches make 40vm approximately, no ?
    Well, for europeeans, these dimensions are not at All "reglementary". Not even for a terrestrial specie.
    With the substrate, 30 cm are Left ! Thats ridiculously small !!
    I Hope at leat that the tank is situated at at least 5 or 6 feet High from the ground .
    First of all, I would not call it mean, but it was perhaps somewhat harsh. However, since it's the good ol' Internet, I personally think everyone should always be prepared that people generally sound meaner here, since you can not hear the tone and the actually voice. Also, you know, people generally ARE meaner online
    Second of all, 18" is (very close to) 45cm, and I do agree that it quite short, especially if you add the 4" (10cm) substrate like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Why does the tank have to be 5-6 feet off the ground? My White's setup is only 2 or 3 feet off the ground and they do quite fine.
    He does have a point, I would say. Red eyes are found about 65 to 130 feet (20-40m) (if I remember the numbers correctly) above ground, high up in the trees. Keeping the tank elevated simulate this (at least to a degree, even if it is small). And to be fair, he did not say that it needs to be, he just hopes so, which I (at least) interpreter as like a recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher
    rude!!
    You are of course allowed to think he was rude, but I think it's very important to remember that Heather asks what people think about her setup. She is doing this because she is a good animalkeeper and wants only the best for her frogs. This way, she can adjust it before letting the frogs move in. Giving feedback to each other is always good.

For the record, please remember that Heather actually haven't given any dimensions as at all. As far as we know, it might as well be 1000*200*200 centimeters.

Lastly, let me write my opening paragraph again, since this cannot be stressed enough. Discussions here lately have gone out of control, and not seldom because of the wrong reasons:
    Everyone please remember that what I'm about to type is only my own humble opinion. I'm not saying my opinion is right and everyone else is wrong. I'm not "flaming" anyone personally even if I do not agree with them.

Badger

Sorry, I know that not everyone who has kept animals for a long time knows whats best for them, I was rather referring to Heather. I don't wanna cause any more tension or anything like that, so I'll let help desk frog diffuse the situation!

Sorry for totally derailing your thread Heather -.-

SNAKE

That is exacly what i wanted to say, viperJr
    I'm really sorry that my messages were token like mean but I just wanted to say my opinion.
    Isn't it the purpose of forum ?
    "For the record, please remember that Heather actually haven't given any dimensions as at all. As far as we know, it might as well be 1000*200*200 centimeters."
    Of course, if you can give them a tank that big, it's better. But you need to keep in mind that in needs to be very well fournished with plants, so that they feel comfurtable and secure.

Snake.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi guys!

No worries in the comments. I am looking for good opinions as to what is best for my babies along with the style I like.

No one has hurt my feelings . It seems to be more frustrating for you guys, than myself.

The frogs, 2 adult, 1 juvenile, are not in the viv yet. I am waiting to try and perfect it before they move in .

The dimensions are 48 inches long, 13 inches wide, 20 inches high. It is a 55 gallon tank.

I can add more vine to the top if needed. The plants are fairly snug together, so prefer not to add more unless you think best.

I started to make a foam background with pots for plants to hang down. It looked cluttered. I may be able to run a strip along the top back and do so. Yet, I was hoping to not. I think I'd prefer running more vine and adding more crawling plants.

Again, no worries. I have not been offended. I was looking for guidance. This is my first live vivarium.

Although, I think it has turned out pretty good so far.

Oh ... and I could not currently purchase the 125 gallon I previously wanted. Maybe another time. I make good money, but financially I have put over $500 into the tank, stand, cover, light, etc. My husb would shoot me if I came home with a $1000+ set-up for my frogs .

Thanks again!

Waiting to hear some advice .....

Badger

Oh, 55 gallon, woohoo. Awesome looking so far! What kinda plants are you using?

Nationality
    [United States]

Ahhhhhhhhhh!
    Does anyone really think that 2 WELL CARED FOR for Red Eyes are going to fail to thrive in this really , really great enclosure ?

Heather -- it's very nicely done.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"