Thread: African Clawed frog wont eat or stay submerged, Sick, Disoriented, or?

Dennis Whitmore

Default African Clawed frog wont eat or stay submerged, Sick, Disoriented, or?

First off I would like to apologize for this being jumbled and almost incoherient. It is almost 3am here and I am quite sleepy.

We had two African Clawed Frogs, and recently the first one died. We think they got something from the feeder fish I was feeding them. They used to be lively and now they wont eat.

So the first one died. We cleaned out the tank, treated the water, switched pumps. Now the other frog will not eat or even sink. He almost seems disoriented. He has been floating on top of the water and seems like he can not stay sunk. He used to stay at the bottom of the tank and come up for air. Now when he tries to stay down he has to anchor himself on some decoration.

We have tried everything we can think of and are using this as a last resort. Is there anything we can do to help or are we just stuck waiting it out?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jimbok3

Default Re: African Clawed frog wont eat or stay submerged, Sick, Disoriented, or?

Can you post some pictures of it? It should help with identifying what the problem may be.

Dennis Whitmore

Default Re: African Clawed frog wont eat or stay submerged, Sick, Disoriented, or?

Here is a picture.Superman is just staying at the top of the tank,Not eating,Not swimming that much.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dennis Whitmore

Ive read other threads on here and we are going out right now to get a liquid test kit and Lymnozyme.

Jimbok3

Unhappy Re: African Clawed frog wont eat or stay submerged, Sick, Disoriented, or?

He does not look good. you should get him in a holding tank with shallow water, and you need to get him to a vet a soon as you can.
    Good Luck, and keep us posted

Dennis Whitmore

Thank you.we just made a tiny holding tank with good ph levels and nitrate because his big tank had high ph levels.Should i add salt to the tiny holding tank and formalin and malachite green? We went to our local pet store and they said they have never heard of Lymnozyme.

Jimbok3

first what was the ph level at?(this may be the reason he was acting odd) Hold off on adding things to the holding tanks water for now, first lets see if he perks up in the holding tank, if he does not the best thing for him would be to take him to a vet.

Dennis Whitmore

The PH is at 7.4, and the Nitrate is the shade of a 1.0 but slightly darker. I just went to the pet store and they told me to turn the pump back on and that would help the high Nitrate and Ammonia levels. I'll have to double check but I do not think we have vets around here that will take him.

Jimbok3

The water might have been the problem, if he starts to perk up you will know it was the water. You should also change the water in the big tank. If he hasn't eaten in a while you can try to hand feed him crickets, just hold a live cricket in front of him (knowing African clawed frogs when they can catch the food they will)

Dennis Whitmore

We already changed the water.Hes not perking up.His eye and hand is inflamed but i think that's because that's the only hanging out of the water for days.We tryed to feed him a tiny piece of earthworm his favorite and no response really.I just dont know what to do. Going to check the levels again.

Dennis Whitmore

Anyone know how much the pH level should be for a african clawwed frog tank?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It appears that the frog is bloating. One of the symptoms is difficulty in swimming. I suggest moving the frog to a "hospital" tank. You can use Maracyn II® and Maracyn Plus® for treatment. Adding a little salt to the water will help too. Bloating is caused by bacteria and if not treated can cause kidney failure and death. Good luck with your frog.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Dennis Whitmore

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    It appears that the frog is bloating. One of the symptoms is difficulty in swimming. I suggest moving the frog to a "hospital" tank. You can use Maracyn II® and Maracyn Plus® for treatment. Adding a little salt to the water will help too. Bloating is caused by bacteria and if not treated can cause kidney failure and death. Good luck with your frog.
    Okay we could only find Maracyn II locally. We are going to order the plus online I guess. He has seemed to get slightly better but he still will not eat. His left eye (The one out of the water the most) has gotten really red and swollen. I do not know if this is because it is dry and irritated or another symptom of something but we thought it would be a good idea to post it and we also have a picture albeit a very bad one.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry for the confusion, you can use either Maracyn, no need to get both (I should of wrote "or" and not "and"). The injured eye is of some concern, however the treatment for the "bloating" problem may help heal the eye.

Dennis Whitmore

Okay good! There seems to be some good news finally. He can SINK!!! Yayy. His eye looks a bit better also. Now should we finish up the 5 day treatment of maracyn in the hospital tank (only 1 more day) or can we put him in the regular tank? He really hates the small tank we have him in. I am so happy for him to not just float there looking miserable. Hopefully he can eat soon. Should we continue trying for earthworms or should we try reptomin? He has never been keen on dry food but we will try what is best for him.

Dennis Whitmore

Well, his eye got so swollen it seems to popped from the pressure. Is there anything special I should do or just wait and see? Is there anything I can add to the water to help the open sore to keep from getting infected?

He is getting more active and staying submerged.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about the frog's eye. I am glad to hear that the frog is becoming more active and behaving normally. About the eye, I would continue the Maracyn treatment for a couple of days to prevent any further infection. ACFs can survive quite well without eyes. The frog is designed to live in murky water where visibility is limited. Studies show that vision is used to watch for prey above the water's surface, not in the water itself. The lateral line system will help the frog in locating food. It would be great if the frog will eat pellet food, but many individuals will not touch the stuff. Feed the foods that it likes, earthworms and blackworms will work nicely.

Also, there is a product called Lymnozyme, a probiotic, that will help prevent bacterial infections.

Dennis Whitmore

Again, thank you so much for the help.

He is getting more and more active though still very sluggish and inactive compared to what he used to be like. His eye looks like he is healing up. We have moved him back to his regular tank since today was his 5th day in the hospital tank. We figured we would give him a bath in the hospital tank once or twice a day for say 30 min with the maracyn and quick cure. Does this sound okay?

What should we do about food? He hasn't eaten in at least a week to a week and a half and I don't know how long they can survive with out food! We have tried live worms, floating reptomin and trying to hand feed both or let them float. He just isn't interested or even acknowledging them. I am starting to get worried. We have frozen bloodworms but he didn't like them when he was fine, we haven't tried those yet. Could we chop up the bloodworms and maybe stick an oral syringe in his mouth or is there a better way to go about it?

Thread Information