Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm scared to force feed my pac man frog

LIZZIE82

Default Re: I'm scared to force feed my pac man frog

I got it a little over 80 degrees, removed the side heater and put it on the opposite end. He moved more towards the wall without heat but is staying in his bowl. How long can he be in his bowl?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Let him rest a little .Theres a reason he is in the bowl. Let him be for know.
    Quote Originally Posted by LIZZIE82 View Post
    I got it a little over 80 degrees, removed the side heater and put it on the opposite end. He moved more towards the wall without heat but is staying in his bowl. How long can he be in his bowl?

LIZZIE82

The moss was REMOVED. If I use a glass top then how am I supposed to get air circulation? I put in fresh coco fiber last night and sanitized the tank. I have only had the frog 2 months. If everything improves and he likes his new enclosure and everything is perfect.... will he get big?

BG

If you use the glass top its good. The glass top is three pieces. Two glass panels,and a plastic panel. the plastic panel is drill able. Drill holes to that piece. Or make a screen panel and replace the plastic one. This way you don't have to mist too much. Drill enough holes so mildew wont grow.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

As BG mentioned your frog is in the water dish because he wants to be in there. He may be detoxing himself/be thirsty/or have to poop. He will get out when he feels he is done. The glass top is a great idea and advice that should be fallowed. Keep the enclosre clean. Change substrate once a month. Toss the soil once a week and change the water every day and every time your frog enters the water. It must be kept clean after each time he enters it. Keep us posted.

LIZZIE82

He seemed OK this morning. I think he got out of the water in the middle of the night and then got back in because there was substrate in the water. He was back in there when I got up though. I cleaned the bowl, gave fresh water but didn't put him back in. I kept him on the substrate next to the bowl. It's up to him what he wants to do now. :-) I really hope he pulls through. Also, I did put a cricket in there and I couldn't find it. Hopefully he ate it. It's been raining here and I've been seeing a lot of night crawlers outside. Can I give him one? What if the ground they've been has been fertilized? Is it safe?

Nationality
    [United States]

He seemed OK this morning. I think he got out of the water in the middle of the night and then got back in because there was substrate in the water. He was back in there when I got up though. I cleaned the bowl, gave fresh water but didn't put him back in. I kept him on the substrate next to the bowl. It's up to him what he wants to do now. :-) I really hope he pulls through. Also, I did put a cricket in there and I couldn't find it. Hopefully he ate it. It's been raining here and I've been seeing a lot of night crawlers outside. Can I give him one? What if the ground they've been has been fertilized? Is it safe?
    Nope. Do not feed him wild caught insects and night crawlers as they might have toxins like fertilizer in them and this will harm your frog and even kill it. Its much safer to go to a pet store and buy your frogs food. If you have a Petsmart or Petco near you go there and ask for night crawlers and red wigglers. Has your frog burrowed at all and is the substrate moist not mud? On the cricket. It probably burrowed into the substrate. It is hard to say whether it was eaten unless you witnessed it.

LIZZIE82

I have both in my town. All they have for live food is crickets. What else can I give him? I plan on force feeding the repta boost for the next three days and then giving 3 crickets forcefully for about a week. Then, I'm going to start feeding in a feeding tank and hopefully he Will hunt/eat on his own.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have both in my town. All they have for live food is crickets. What else can I give him? I plan on force feeding the repta boost for the next three days and then giving 3 crickets forcefully for about a week. Then, I'm going to start feeding in a feeding tank and hopefully he Will hunt/eat on his own.
    Sounds like a good plan. Usually at these pet stores you have to ask for night crawlers and red wigglers. They do not have them on display. You could go t Wal-mart and see if they have night crawlers or red wigglers. You can give him meal worms and wax worms as a treat once every week or 2.

LIZZIE82

Force feeding of the repta boost is a success! He is actually cooperating and opening his mouth. He's still very unimpressed with all of this, though. Kinda hope he stays small because he'll get me back! ;-) I took him out of the water and moved him close to the bowl. He stayed out of it and didn't look good. I put him back in the water after feeding and he looks better. I'm going yo keep him in the water until he doesn't want to stay in, I guess. The temp is still up and I have hope he'll get better!

Nationality
    [United States]

If he is malnurished and under weight which he is. He will look bad and very thin. As long as you force feed him he may recover. This will take time. He needs solids too so try and force feed him crickets while using the booster too. Give him the boost and then 2 or 3 crickets. Keep it up and keep us posted.

LIZZIE82

Dumb question: should I wait for him to swallow the booster and then give him crickets? Crickets one at a time or all together? And, where exactly is his tooth?

IvoryReptiles

Dumb question: should I wait for him to swallow the booster and then give him crickets? Crickets one at a time or all together? And, where exactly is his tooth?
    Let him swallow the booster then feed the crickets one at a time. You could also try a spritz of liquid calcium in his water. He is soaking to re-hydrate and de-toxify. It will take time to bounce back and I'm sure he will grow, but he may not be as large as he should have been in the end.

The "Fangs" are on the top jaw in the very middle......the teeth are all along both top & bottom jaws, they are tiny and extremely sharp!

Pics are in this post :
    http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frogs/11109-teeth.html

LIZZIE82

Yikes! I feel totally comfortable messing with his mouth to force feed him after seeing those pics! ;-)

Nationality
    [United States]

They have some chompers on them huh Lol! Don't worry as long as your frog isn't very aggressive and you're gentle with him/her you won't be bitten unless by accident.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm just going to follow 'Grif' around the forum and learn as much as possible !

I don't keep Pacs but this is really great information.
    Thanks everyone.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    I'm just going to follow 'Grif' around the forum and learn as much as possible !

I don't keep Pacs but this is really great information.
    Thanks everyone.
    Lol! Thanks. I don't know whether to be flattered or stalked I'm no expert I have experience in this situation and others. I try to get as much info as possible and use my knowlege to help others if I can.

IvoryReptiles

Yikes! I feel totally comfortable messing with his mouth to force feed him after seeing those pics! ;-)
    Aaaawww.....anything that has a mouth can bite....even if it's gumming! LOL
    So far we have only been nailed by females (they tend to be easily ticked off!)
    The most damage either of us has gotten is some scraped skin, nothing horrifically gouged or bleeding profusely.
    Your frog will get used to being handled too, so the danger of being bitten hard diminishes with time.
    I'm sure you will do fine!

LIZZIE82

Day 3 of the booster: Pocket (I did not name him!) ate a meal worm!! I had my tongs out and got a meal worm, I showed him and he opened his mouth, I shoved it in there and he ate! I then gave him the booster but I was kind of going in from the side and he has a BIG mouth, lol and a lot came out of the side. I opened him up and gave him 1/2 another dose. I tried with another meal worm and he spit it out and thrashed around... I tried one more time....he kept it in his mouth, spit it out, threw another fit and I decided that I needed to leave him alone.I gave him fresh water, upped his temperature and covered up the viv so he can de-stress again. He's currently sitting in his fresh water. If I look in there he turns around, lol. Tomorrow, I'm going to give him some crickets and the booster. I'm going to try to post some pics of him that I took before he ate today. He still doesn't look so hot. :-(

LIZZIE82

Meet Pocket!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information