Thread: Anyone here know anything about breeding African Dwarf Frogs?

pac10dave

Default Anyone here know anything about breeding African Dwarf Frogs?

My frogs just started amplexus, and have had a batch of eggs for the third time in eight days. Tried unsuccessfully to save some of the eggs the last two times, but they didn't hatch; fairly certain after more research that the water isn't warm enough.

I've read about all there is to read online about hatching and raising the tadpoles, but was hoping to actually find someone to discuss it with. Anyone on the board that has experience with the little guys?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FrogLines

Default Re: Anyone here know anything about breeding African Dwarf Frogs?

Hello, I am new to this also, so will post my experience and hope to hear from others. My two African Dwarf frogs finished amplexus and there were a lot of eggs just under the surface of the water. At the end of the second day the eggs had all sunk. My frogs were tearing up the eggs by swimming and racing around the aquarium.

With a turkey baster I sucked up what I could and transferred them to a smaller container. I see four eggs in the gravel, with tiny tadpoles swimming around inside. I assume they will not need food until they hatch as they are using the egg material for sustenance.

My camera did not capture them as they are still too small.

Helpful site I have found for care and breeding: http://davidcecere.pipidae.org/

Kimba

Default Re: Anyone here know anything about breeding African Dwarf Frogs?

My frogs had babies October 23, 2014. I tried using a turkey baster to remove them but a lot of them stuck to the inside of it. I then used a table spoon it worked good. I placed them in a small glass container. They began swimming a couple of days later. I ground up the mom and dads food pellets until it was a fine powder. They did well until I read that I should give them more room. When I transferred them I lost all but seven of them. I placed them back into the other container I used. I still have six and they are beginning to grow legs. I feed them frozen baby brine shrip and ground up tadpole pellets. I change there water daily with the parents water and switch bowls about once a week. I truely love watching them grow.

Thread Information