Thread: (Parasites) Tiny "flea-like" bugs in substrate in WTF tank?!!!

maimedophelia

Exclamation (Parasites) Tiny "flea-like" bugs in substrate in WTF tank?!!!

I discovered tiny parasites that look like miniature white fleas in the coconut bedding of my White’s Tree Frog tank. I’ve never seen these before in my tank and I have been unable to find a description fitting what I’ve discovered online. My vet is out of town until Monday so I’m looking for some info or advice in the meantime. Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime? Is it okay to wait that long or should I drive two hours to the next nearest vet tomorrow?

I have thoroughly cleaned out the tank/furniture and replaced all organic matter completely. I did not use a bleach solution though. I had some commercial pads of frog moss in the tank until about 3 weeks ago and the tank was last cleaned 7 weeks ago. I normally clean the tank every 8 weeks – I only have one frog and I spot clean every other day though (honestly) in the last few weeks this has been more like once every 4 days.
    I have only recently introduced wax-worms into my frogs diet but he normally gets 3 small/med crickets a night and he eats all of them. His appetite is still good but in the last two weeks he has occasionally only eaten 2 of the 3 crickets (typically on nights when he sheds).

Other than finding him on the ground in the morning two days ago (before his day light cut on and he moved up to top of tank like normal) and watching him have a particularly hard time passing some stool that same night (it looked normal but was a bit dry and had a lot of calcium dust in it), his behavior hasn’t changed at all.
    I appreciate anything you might have to contribute.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: (Parasites) Tiny "flea-like" bugs in substrate in WTF tank?!!!

They maybe be fungus flies? You didn't seed your tank with springtails correct? Temp/humidity? I'll do my best to try and figure out what it is

maimedophelia

No spring tails. I've gotten mildew gnats before (is that what you're referring to?) - these are not them - I had an issue with overwatering moss when I first got my frog and that was the end of that. Someone on another forum just sent me some information on mites that come in on crickets.... ? The description sounds spot on...

Badger

I can't believe I didn't think of that. That's probably what they are. I don't know if the prevent-a-mite for reptiles is harmful to amphibians, you will probably have to talk to your vet about that, or someone here that is better with medications than me.

maimedophelia

Thanks! We'll just see what people suggest....

maimedophelia

Actually, I didn't know anything about Springtails at the time that they were suggested but upon more research I think that this is what's in my tank - or what "was" in my tank seeing as they're not there anymore. It obviously wasn't intentional though. Should I still bring my little guy into the vet just to be on the safe side?

Raiden

No.

Having small invertebrates crawling around in your house would be alarming to you, because you are a human, and having those kinds of things in your house often indicates a cleanliness issue.

However, if you think about the fact that many treefrogs live in rainforests, where there could be hundreds of tiny invertebrates in just a cubic inch of soil, you shouldn't be so alarmed. Frogs do not get fleas or other arthropod external parasites to my knowledge, or at least they do not get them frequently. If the creatures in your tank are mites, then you might need to change the substrate out, but a well constructed tank will often have some kind of small invertebrate community in the soil that can help to keep the tank slightly cleaner biologically.

Many people who build vivariums for dart frogs and other smaller treefrogs often inoculate the soil with springtails and sometimes with detritivorous nematodes. The springtails are harmless arthropods that break down dead leaves, feces, and leftover food items with gusto, and the nematode worms perform a similar function.

Badger

Quote Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
    No.

Having small invertebrates crawling around in your house would be alarming to you, because you are a human, and having those kinds of things in your house often indicates a cleanliness issue.

However, if you think about the fact that many treefrogs live in rainforests, where there could be hundreds of tiny invertebrates in just a cubic inch of soil, you shouldn't be so alarmed. Frogs do not get fleas or other arthropod external parasites to my knowledge, or at least they do not get them frequently. If the creatures in your tank are mites, then you might need to change the substrate out, but a well constructed tank will often have some kind of small invertebrate community in the soil that can help to keep the tank slightly cleaner biologically.

Many people who build vivariums for dart frogs and other smaller treefrogs often inoculate the soil with springtails and sometimes with detritivorous nematodes. The springtails are harmless arthropods that break down dead leaves, feces, and leftover food items with gusto, and the nematode worms perform a similar function.
    Yes, springtails are beneficial, but they don't just appear out of nowhere, you have to introduce them into the tank. If you haven't done that, or used any soil/plants etc you wouldn't have them. Mite's are more likely. A vet check wouldn't hurt, but if they are gone then I wouldn't worry too much unless they come back. Mite's can be harmful to phibs, though they can also be a snack for frogs.

Thread Information