Thread: wanting something new...

pj1298

Default wanting something new...

HEY EVERYONE
    so christmas is coming very soon and i have a spare 10 gallon tank. i have a american toad and 5 fish tanks and i decided to go amiphibian with the 10 gallon. ive read that a pacman frog can live in here so i decided this is what i want. is it a bad idea to put him in their? and also what should his habitat look like and what should i feed him? and any good websites where i can order one and know what hes gonna looks like would be awesome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sublime

Default Re: wanting something new...

Hey pj. Well the 10 gallon if it were a fish tank, it wouldn't be ideal for pacmans. Fish tanks are designed to have more height which isn't the best for pacmans. Since pacmans are terrestrial frogs they prefer a tank with more space on the bottom floor (Width) then height.

Habitat: Soaking dish (Shallow) - pacmans aren't good swimmers, artificial plants for cover - hiding, thermometer/hygrometer, 40 watt incandescent clear bulb, eco-earth coconut fiber for the substrate (bedding), dechlorinator (Reptisafe) for removing nasties found commonly in tap water, spray bottle, and optional a hollowed out hide log to hide under.

Food fed as a staple: Crickets, roaches, earthworms

Food fed as a treat or variety: Mouse/rat, worms excluding earthworms, captive bred minnows, guppies, shiners, mollies

Read through the care sheet written for pacmans to get a better understanding in depth description of what you're going to be taking care of and its husbandry needs.

Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

Also, do not feed your frog feeder fish unless you are well informed on how to captively breed them and rid them of parasites. Stay away from feeder fish sold at pet stores - only breed your own.

Estimated price with pacman (Not including food): $114.00

Sublime

Also forgot to mention that you'll need supplements and vitamins. Calcium w/ D3 and a multivitamin.

Websites for pacmans:

Jelas Phat Phibs | Phibs, Beardies and Feeder Roaches

Josh's Frogs - Largest online herps feeders and reptile supplies store

Reptile Supplies, Reptiles, Amphibians, Invertebrates, Cages, Feeders, and More

There's also a breeder on this forum named "IvoryReptiles" if you want to check their site out (From what I understand, they exclusively breed Cranwelli's, have to get confirmation on that though):

IvoryReptiles : Home

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

yea they are pretty easy to keep i plan on breeding my pacs and ivoryreptiles breed cranwellis and very nice people i would buy from them if you dont mind the shipping cost
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

Nationality
    [United States]

When you use a light as an extra heat source buy a lamp that has a dimmer switch so you can accurately control the light and heat output of the bulb. A light to use at night for extra heat is neccissary a lot of the time as well. Purchase a 40to or 50 watt infrared bulb. They need a tempreture gradient. You'll have to buy a under tank heater(UTH) and place it on the side of the tank NOT the bottom as these are burrowing frogs and could burn themselves on the glass and also they burrow to cool off during the day and sleep/rest. They won't understand why they can't cool off if they burrow over the UTH so place it on the side. To provide a temp gradient place the UTH on the side opposite the water dish so the forg can choose to be warm or cool. The lamp can be placed over the center of the tank.

They are nocturnal so be sure to feed your Pac at night.

BG

Sounds like a plan PJ. Pacman are real kewl frogs. They are colorful. Fun to watch them eat. Once they get older and established ,you can handle them for a little bit. They are very smart frogs. They can form a feeding habit to wait for a meal at a sorting time. My concern with fish tanks is the cover. I suggest you use a glass top. This way you dont loose the humidity.You spray them once a day according to the humidity in your house. What type of top are you planning to use . The screen top is no good.

pj1298

i dont have a lid for it yet because i didnt know if it needed anything special like that so i will get a glass top for it. its not very humid in my house so it will definitly help. for feeding i will probably crickets most of the time. i also breed guppies and because they are livebearers they have babies all the time so i would be more than happy to give him a few. and for the lighting i need a 40 watt incadescent light and a 40 watt infared light. the heater goes on the outside of the side on either side and put the water bowl on the opposite side. and then just get some hiding spaces and plants to make it feel more outdoors. i will probably get most of this stuff for christmas and use the money i get to buy the rest.

pj1298

and what heater should i use? a link to petco or petsmart would be appriciated

Nationality
    [United States]

Pj, welcome .

The guys have given you excellent advice! I purchased my pac this summer and thanks to their guidance here he is doing great!

You're going to love your pac, if you chose one! When you look for one ask the seller to feed him while you're there. Some are aggressive feeders and some are secret feeders. They are ambush feeders. They burrow in their substrate and sneak attack . Fun to watch. Some that follow a routine will be waiting for you, ready to eat. My baby waits at the front glass . There are different types of pacmans. Some are better eaters than others.

Their homes are easy to maintain.

Whichever you chose, keep us posted. We love pictures!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Sprout

Good luck with your pacman! Remember to keep his tank clean and water fresh and you should have an interesting and rewarding pet

Thread Information