Thread: New and have an SOS!

frogmama

Default New and have an SOS!

So happy to find frog forum tonight, but unfortunately came across the site while looking for answers for an African Bullfrog emergency. We've had our first frog for about three months, and he appears to be very ill this evening. He's about 3 1/2 inches nose to tail, though I don't know his exact age. He has not eaten well this week, and he started falling over late this evening. We were hoping he had gotten too cold and picked up a heat lamp while out to dinner. We returned to find him belly up, though not dead. He's under the lamp but doesn't look good. We also haven't seen where he's pooped in more than a week. We've been diligent about cleaning his aquarium, feeding every other day, watching the moisture and providing a clean pool. He's been on a diet of purchased live crickets fed Fluker's calcium supplement. Any ideas? Appreciate your feedback ASAP. Our 10-year-old son cried himself to sleep afraid that "Huck" won't live to see tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Jcal

Default Re: New and have an SOS!

I would give him good long soak in warm water to see if that perks him up. A few questions though.

When was the last time hes pooped?
    What substrate are you using. How deep.?
    What kind of water are you using?
    When was the last time he fed?
    Temps and humidity?

frogmama

We've sprayed with very warm water and have him under a lamp now;he's perked up just a bit. He normally poops in his water, and it's been about a week and a half since we've seen poop. We're using the coconut substrate, about 2 1/2 inches deep, and use only distilled water. He normally eats five crickets every other day, and my son has only been able to get him to eat a couple of crickets at the last two feedings before today. He was only able to get him to take one cricket this morning, and though he shows some interest, he doesn't have the energy to catch one on his own. He'll open his mouth, but isn't able to lunge far enough. We've tried feeding him with tweezers, but he shows no interest. We don't have a temp/humidity gauge, which I have quickly realized is a mistake. I'll be picking one up first thing in the morning. The temp in the room upstairs where we keep him is normally 78-83 during the day, but we have had a temperature drop here in Houston in the past two days. He spent most of the past two days burrowed, and my son began to worry when he wouldn't come out to feed and had not been in his pool for the past two days. One other note: I read in the care sheet in the forum that using moss is not recommended. We have been using moss based on the recommendations we were give at the pet store and are concerned that he may have ingested some and have a blockage. That could explain the lack of poop. We'll definitely eliminate the moss from now on. Thanks again for your help; we're just sick worrying about him and hate to think we've done something to hurt him.

frogmama

Forgot to mention- we mist him and the soil every day and change his pool water as well.

Jcal

Distilled water isnt good for them. Its so pure that it sucks vits and minerals from the frog. I would just use treated tapwater.
    At 3+ inches they dont need to be feed everyday. Its good to give them a few days off food per week.
    My advise(im not expert) is to give him another good soak in water tomorrow. Nothing too deep. Depending on how weak he is i would worry too much about feeding and focus on getting the temps right. Leave him alone for a day or so. He could be stressed.
    after giving him a break i would soak again and try feeding in the container hes soaking in.

Do you coat the crickets with calcium?

frogmama

Not coating the crickets; feeding it to them via a Flukers cricket food. We were told by the frog guy at the pet store that was the most efficient way to get the calcium to him without over treating. Took your advice and soaking him now. He's perked up quite a bit. Our tap water is really hard; full of calcium and lime. Will that hurt him even if declorinated?

Jcal

Nope. Start using that water. Calcium is super important. I cant believe that guy told you that but please start using it. Its very important that you start using calcium with d3.

Look over the caresheet
    Frog Forum - African Bullfrog - Pyxicephalus adspersus - Care and Breeding

Sublime

Sounds either stress related or developing MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). Keep him in a quiet room where there isn't a lot of distractions - if you like and this helps... Cover 3 sides of the tank up with a dark material excluding the front view so he doesn't feel overwhelmed. Try to refrain on checking on him so much including handling if you guys are (Keep minimal as possible). Let him rest and try to give him a 'warm' soak tomorrow to help loosen his bowels to expel waste (15-20 minutes should do the trick).

The day temperatures are good that you have him at; how cold has it dropped since you've had a weather change. Does your pixie burrow completely under the dirt or keep his body out? Keep your frog on a daily feeding schedule, not all over the place. For example, since they're nocturnal - feed them at night every 2 nights at around 8:00-10:00 PM. At your pixies size they only need to eat every 2-3 days for 15-20 minutes.

Jcal mentioned about distilled water not containing beneficial minerals for them to absorb which is true. Since distilled water is produced through reverse osmosis it leaves pure H20. Buy Reptisafe dechlorinator at any local pet supply store - it will remove chlorine, ammonia, chloramines, metal traces, and additionally add calcium (Electrolytes) to the tap water.

Since the traces of calcium found in crickets after eating 'fortified calcium gutload' is minor, it's recommended to purchase a calcium supplement for dusting foods during the week. Calcium is useless though if it does not contain the Vitamin D3 in it since this essential vitamin is synthesized through a chemical process in the skin from the natural sun UVB wavelengths. For frogs, it's not recommended to keep them under UVB bulbs (UV radiation) - so that's why we supplement in the Vitamin D3 they lack in captivity that helps absorb and process the calcium throughout the body. Calcium w/ D3 should be supplemented every other feeding. It's also important to purchase a multivitamin to dust on their food once a week. Brands: Rep-Cal, Repashy, Flukers, T Rex, Reptivite.

If you're only feeding crickets, you should also be offering other foods in their diet. Earthworms and roaches are another great staple food. You can purchase earthworms priced a lot lower than pet supply stores at Walmart in the sporting goods sections. Just buy the ones that don't have any additives (Scents, dyes, flavorings, nitrogen).

Your pixie may be developing MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) from several of factors you've mentioned. Cold weather impairs digestion and calcium absorption, lack of vitamin d3, and inadequate protein in their diet.

Don't listen to that guy at the shop, he obviously hasn't been keeping frogs. Unfortunately this will happen with employees leaving customers misinformed information about proper husbandry for these animals. From now on, come here for support. It's hard to determine whether or not your frog accidently ingested some moss, but that was the right move to remove it from your tank. Hopefully he didn't lunge at a cricket and ingest some of it which is very hard to pass given the right circumstances.

Sublime

As far as trying to feed him since he may appear weak, try rubbing the food up against his mouth or dropping it right in front of him. Since they are ambush predators they will appear 'lazy' to people who think they should be moving more to catch their food. In his state of health, you really need to be helping him during feeding. Not at the point of force feeding it to him though - if he doesn't want it then try again tomorrow. He'll become even more stressed if you're agitating him too much trying to get him to feed. Doesn't seem like his stress came from environmental factors (Improper husbandry) - in your situation it's more than likely from profuse human exposure.

frogmama

Thanks so much to all of you. Unfortunately, we lost him around 1:35 this morning. He seemed to be rallying after a warm soak, but was gone when I checked on him about an hour later.

Mark, we kept handling to a minimum as a practice, only handling to clean his tank. Though from your post it appears he wasn't getting the calcium he needed and I also wonder whether the moss was a factor. I wish we had had this advice from the beginning. I did research care when we brought him home but didn't find care sheets as comprehensive as the one posted here.

You've all been a tremendous help, and we will be so much better informed when we try again. We all got quite attached to him, so we may wait a little while.

Jimbok3

So sorry for your loss, I just lost my fire belly toads. Tell your son that somtimes bad things happen but remember that you gave "Huck" lots of love and he had a beter life with you guys than he would have had at the pet store.

Sublime

I'm sorry frogmama for your loss . Inevitably it wasn't your fault. What I mean by this is so many people get advice from inexperienced employees at chain pet stores that don't know what they're talking about and leads to customers losing frogs. We learn from our mistakes and hopefully you guys pick up a new one after researching through this site.

Tell your son that there are many more out there and that your other frog is in a happy place.

Jcal

That sucks and im sorry we couldnt help you sooner. If you have anyother questions for us just let use know.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry for your frog death! I'm new to forum and frog keeping too and can relate to your loss.

Thread Information