Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you guys met BOO?

dsmalex97

Default Have you guys met BOO?

Dude....

BSRTFAN's Channel - YouTube

This frog is straight up beastly! It literally will stalk it's prey, and stalk it well! I've never seen a pyxie like it! I want to find me a male asap!!

Only thing is I know an all rodent diet is a no no with these guys. But he mentions that BOO doesn't like eating bugs...I found that kind of interesting because my girl is kind of weird with bugs, but when I put a rodent by her she doesn't hesitate. All I know is the sheer size and hunting skills they possess is quite impressive. Anyone a boy for sale haha?!?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: Have you guys met BOO?

Cause thats what they raised her on , A rodent only diet. Yup Boo is one of my fav frogs on youtube. I been watching him on youtube since he was a tiny baby. Too bad the owner is not on the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmalex97 View Post
    Dude....

BSRTFAN's Channel - YouTube

This frog is straight up beastly! It literally will stalk it's prey, and stalk it well! I've never seen a pyxie like it! I want to find me a male asap!!

Only thing is I know an all rodent diet is a no no with these guys. But he mentions that BOO doesn't like eating bugs...I found that kind of interesting because my girl is kind of weird with bugs, but when I put a rodent by her she doesn't hesitate. All I know is the sheer size and hunting skills they possess is quite impressive. Anyone a boy for sale haha?!?

Sublime

Yeah I've seen Boo before, I don't like his overall physique though for a male (Probably due to a rodent only diet). My juvenile male used to do that with crickets when I first got him; it was funny watching how clumsy he was and walking very stealthy like Boo does in this video. Unfortunately the owner isn't very smart feeding an adult sized mouse 'live', at the most that frog should be fed a ween mice frozen and thawed. I know why he does it though - for attention on youtube.

I can bet you in a year or less someone will comment, "How big is he now, etc.." and then the owner will say, "Unfortunately, Boo died 3 months ago.." I've seen this so many times on youtube. Jelasphatphibs youtube channel is sick, wish they had more time to get footage of their beastly male Oz. That boy is huge and gulps a mouse down like a roach.

dsmalex97

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Cause thats what they raised her on , A rodent only diet. Yup Boo is one of my fav frogs on youtube. I been watching him on youtube since he was a tiny baby. Too bad the owner is not on the forum.
    Yeah he's awesome!!

He seems like a healthy boy for someone that has a "bad" diet. I mean I guess on the inside he's not so pretty? Is there proof that an all rodent diet for pac's and pyxie's is a bad diet, or is it speculation?

dsmalex97

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Yeah I've seen Boo before, I don't like his overall physique though for a male (Probably due to a rodent only diet). My juvenile male used to do that with crickets when I first got him; it was funny watching how clumsy he was and walking very stealthy like Boo does in this video. Unfortunately the owner isn't very smart feeding an adult sized mouse 'live', at the most that frog should be fed a ween mice frozen and thawed. I know why he does it though - for attention on youtube.

I can bet you in a year or less someone will comment, "How big is he now, etc.." and then the owner will say, "Unfortunately, Boo died 3 months ago.." I've seen this so many times on youtube. Jelasphatphibs youtube channel is sick, wish they had more time to get footage of their beastly male Oz. That boy is huge and gulps a mouse down like a roach.
    Really? I was kind of impressed by his appearance lol

So there is proof that an all rodent diet is 100% for sure a bad diet?

dsmalex97

Phat Phibs is awesome btw thanks for the link!!!

Sublime

Oh yes, it is very bad. Causes complications later on in their life, kidney and liver failure. Frogs unlike snakes don't come across rodents in the wild for most of their life. They aren't able to break down mammalian tissue and vertebrates with a backbone as easily - i.e. a mouse, rat, chick, and quail without it being problematic if not left to let their kidney and liver synthesize the proteins and do their job breaking down the tissue along with the backbone. That's why the staple diets that are always recommended are invertebrates (Without a backbone). Crickets, locusts, roaches, earthworms are all good which I know you are aware of.

A mouse fed sparingly though is actually quite beneficial for your frog - can offer an extra source of nutritional value and variety. You want to see a couple of big males?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Boo is quite the hunter. But Oz is a freaking monster. A couple of my ABFs are stalker/hunters like that, although none of them are close to Oz's monstrous size. 10 inches is nuts.

Sublime

I asked jelasphatphibs over youtube about what factors you think Oz got that big - diet, housing, etc. They said they got him from a previous owner that exercised great husbandry and a varied diet. They didn't go really into detail, but I'm guessing genetics played the most important factor for Oz's individual massive size.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, isn't Oz wc? It seems like the true monsters are.

Sublime

I'm not entirely sure if he is a wc. I'm leaning on the side of him being a cb since they've never mentioned anything about him related to being wc. His size does resemble those monsters found out in the wild, I agree.

chris2pher

funny i never see anyone showing my big guy .... great posting though

dsmalex97

Quote Originally Posted by chris2pher View Post
    Who's your big boy?

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by chris2pher View Post
    Chubz is a big boy, but I don't think he's fully grown yet. Last time I saw one of your vids you said something like he's around a year old and he looked to be 6-7" svl.

Mikey

Nevermind
    Last edited by Mikey; November 8th, 2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: mistake

7urb0

[QUOTE=Sublime;86103]Oh yes, it is very bad. Causes complications later on in their life, kidney and liver failure. Frogs unlike snakes don't come across rodents in the wild for most of their life. They aren't able to break down mammalian tissue and vertebrates with a backbone as easily - i.e. a mouse, rat, chick, and quail without it being problematic if not left to let their kidney and liver synthesize the proteins and do their job breaking down the tissue along with the backbone. That's why the staple diets that are always recommended are invertebrates (Without a backbone). Crickets, locusts, roaches, earthworms are all good which I know you are aware of.

A mouse fed sparingly though is actually quite beneficial for your frog - can offer an extra source of nutritional value and variety. You want to see a couple of big males?

i'll have to disagree on that. have you seen the poop after it eating a mouse? nothing is left, backbone or fur. just a big pile of sh*t lol. i think the problem is due to the high fat content of mice and rats. similar to human if we were to eat too much cheeseburger. insects to them are like salads to us. that's just my honest opinion.

Sublime

@7urb The feces that you're seeing is the process of an enzymatic reaction composed from the liver and kidney. Would you agree that the high fat content (tissue), blocks and puts up a 'wall' surrounding the chemical break down process in their organs to do their job accordingly compared to something common in their diet (invertebrates)? It's not so much of an issue of the feces containing undigested product, but more of an issue of not understanding the consequences of feeding vertebrates too often (digestive system-process).

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    @7urb The feces that you're seeing is the process of an enzymatic reaction composed from the liver and kidney. Would you agree that the high fat content (tissue), blocks and puts up a 'wall' surrounding the chemical break down process in their organs to do their job accordingly compared to something common in their diet (invertebrates)? It's not so much of an issue of the feces containing undigested product, but more of an issue of not understanding the consequences of feeding vertebrates too often (digestive system-process).
    Yeah, what he said...enyzymey stuff. Yeah. Dang, I'm not bright. Next time "mousey bad, wormy good" will be fine.

7urb0

i think we call all agree that too much rodents are bad and a varied diet are good.

Malachi

I wouldn't say vertebrates cause issues to all frogs general as a fact. I remember reading about the stomach content of ornate pacman frogs in the wild. They had other frogs as their top gut content. Pacman frogs are known to be frog eaters, thus their shape. However they do not live long healthy lives in the wild either. So its possible that a frog diet leads getting them to a breeding/large size the quickest, but might be a risky food item. The disease risk would be very great imo.

It would be very interesting to see what African Bullfrogs have in their stomachs in the wild. It would be my guess that the large male would have a lot large prey items but also a very diverse diet. I wish there was more research and facts that were backed up by documented research. Sublime might I ask where you got your enzyme information from? I am not disagreeing or debating what you said in any way, I would like to read it.

I wish to have my frog live long and healthy. For me it seems like nightcrawlers and the occasional large item are working, so I will continue that route.

It is pretty obvious even if its not proven, that an only rodent fed frog has health problems. Dieng early, lethargic, blind ...ect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information