Thread: Buying WTfs?

rosaphile

Default Buying WTfs?

So it's looking like I will have to order online since I can't find any in the pet stores and I can't find any breeders around here. I hate having to order these online and pay $40 for overnight shipping, though! They are supposed to be so popular and common, so (a) why can't I find any locally and (b) why do they cost so dang much? ($20 to $30 most sites I have found, even for babies).

I am really new to the whole frog/herp thing so maybe I am missing something. Is there an easier way to find a local breeder than Googling? Where do most people get theirs? My husband is going to go all purple in the face if I tell him it's going to cost $70-$100 to get a pair of WTFs.

Posting in the Wanted section at the bottom, hopefully that will get me somewhere....

PS. Also recommendations on online dealers would be good, I guess.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: Buying WTfs?

Post in all the forums wanted sections, (Dendroboard, kingsnake etc.) And search Faunaclassifieds and other classifieds. Kingsnake has a great classifieds section.

rosaphile

Thanks, Dalton. Looks like Dendroboard won't let me post in "Wanted" until I have 25 posts on their boards. No luck with Kingsnake classifieds but I have posted a request so hopefully someone will respond!

More than ever I am wishing my son would have chosen FBT's, sigh. Petco had some really nice-looking ones for like $6 apiece.

Badger

It gets frustrating, I know.

Given that they can live 15-20 years, $70-$100 seems like a bargain for a pair of them. Not even a penny a day each.

So none of the pet stores near you carry them or are they just out of stock?

You can also try looking for upcoming reptile/amphibian expos near you.

Also check kijiji or craigslist. Even in my rural area I've had a few ads from people looking to get rid of theirs pop up over the past year.

Best of luck!

rosaphile

Good point, Brian. I sort of talked myself into that idea, myself, last night. I used to have cockatiels and I know I paid $50 apiece for them (hand fed, from a local breeder). Talked my husband into it, as well. He said wistfully, "You don't think there's any chance he might change his mind to fire bellied toads?" But he's philosophical about it.

I confess I didn't ask the employees at Petsmart and Petco (yes, those are literally the only pet stores around, other than a couple of tropical fish stores). But they didn't have any enclosures labeled for White's or dumpy tree frogs.

Where would I find out about upcoming reptile/amphibian expos? I did check Craigslist but I will look at kijiji as well. Never heard of it before now.

Thanks!

Theres a show in Columbia SC Nov 4 and 5th....

rosaphile

Thanks! It's definitely worth considering.

artes

Most PetCos carry them, so I bet even if your PetCo doesn't have any right now, they could order two for you. It certainly never hurts to ask, and would save you the shipping charge.

rosaphile

Thanks maybe I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by rosaphile View Post
    Where would I find out about upcoming reptile/amphibian expos? I did check Craigslist but I will look at kijiji as well. Never heard of it before now.
    Google with the terms "Amphibian Expo" or "Reptile Expo" and "North Carolina" or whatever state you are willing to travel to. Especially if it's a far trip it's probably a good idea to get a list of vendors for the show beforehand to make sure there are some frog vendors there to avoid disappointment (you could also try contacting the vendors directly to see what they are bringing as well). These show will usually have an entrance fee, so with gas you might not be saving any money but I think it's worth going to a decent sized show at least once in your life.

artes

If you get Reptiles magazine, they run a list of shows on the last few pages.

Nationality
    [United States]

It doesn't hurt to ask the fish shops. Many of them have access to herps even if they don't carry them. You may even get a better deal if you offer to pay up front (which they will probably ask you to do anyway)
    Steve Schindler

samtheman

yes brian has a good point. i paid in total, by the time i had got everything i paid more than £100. frogs were £14 each (i have 2), and the viv i bought online. you will need a lamp, bulb, substrate, and cricket powder, and crickets. a baby whites needs feeding most days.
    make sure u do your research!!!! another great easy to keep treefrog is the gray treefrog (native to usa). i fancy some of those myself, they are so hardy and cute, with a bird-like call. they might be cheaper than a whites tf

schwabem

I don't have an answer for you but I did have almost the same question and didn't want to post almost the same topic twice. :-)

My local PetSmart has a "Blue Dumpy Tree frog". My brief internet search shows that's the same thing as a White's TF, but if anyone can let me know that they are really the same critter I'd appreciate it.

artes

Quote Originally Posted by schwabem View Post
    I don't have an answer for you but I did have almost the same question and didn't want to post almost the same topic twice. :-)

My local PetSmart has a "Blue Dumpy Tree frog". My brief internet search shows that's the same thing as a White's TF, but if anyone can let me know that they are really the same critter I'd appreciate it.
    Its the same critter.

rosaphile

In spite of all the ideas in this thread, I ended up just ordering online. I have heard so many good things about Josh's Frogs in this forum that they felt like a known quantity (as opposed to just searching the Internet for the cheapest deal). I am happy with our frogs - they are a nice size (2 to 2 1/2") and very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by rosaphile View Post
    I am happy with our frogs - they are a nice size (2 to 2 1/2") and very pretty.
    Unfortunately we won't believe you until you back this up with photographic evidence.

Congrats on the new pets. I've never ordered from Josh's Frogs myself, but they definitely have a great reputation

artes

Awesome! Grats on your new babies.

rosaphile

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Unfortunately we won't believe you until you back this up with photographic evidence.
    Aha! I'm way ahead of you. There are a couple of pics in this thread: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-our-wtfs.html

And their viv, such as it is, is posted up in that forum.

Thread Information