Thread: Amazon milk frog sexing

xxrlo19xx

Default Amazon milk frog sexing

I bought a pair of milk frogs a couple weeks ago i believe them to be a male female pair. can someone help and tell me if im right or wrong 1 frog is a lot larger and fatter. i believe it to be female and ive heard a call a few times over the last week. Also maybe someone can tell me y she spends most of the time down in the substrate. He spends most of the day in a plant and the 1 i believe to be female usually stays in the substrate behind a plant
    Name:  009.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  26.6 KBName:  012.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  34.2 KBName:  011.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  25.2 KBName:  010.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  52.4 KBName:  013.jpg
Views: 2613
Size:  52.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: Amazon milk frog sexing

What's your temp/ Humidity? Size of enclosure?

xxrlo19xx

enclosure is a 18x18x24 zoo med terrarium. House is kept about 75 degrees i dont heat my frog tanks. couldnt tell u exatc humidity. its a live planted terrarium like all my other frog enclosures. with a large water bown in it damp substrate and i mist twice a day.

Badger

You should get a humidity gauge, preferably one with a probe. Your temp is a little on the low side but it is acceptable. What substrate do you use? The humidity can cause some frogs to stress and stay at the bottom of the enclosure. You're humidity should be pretty high, around 80%. If this is too low that could be the reason they are on the bottom of the enclosure.

xxrlo19xx

the 1 i believe to be a male spends most of his day in the brom. she comes off the bottom at night and usually is in a plant or in the water bowl. I use eco earth for a substrate. 1 of my other tanks in the same room setup the same way humidity is usually 60-70% most of the day and increases when misted. which i do twice a day like previously stated.

Badger

Alright, then I would assume it's natural until something else out of the ordinary happens. Make sure you monitor it and note any changes in eating habits/ weight loss etc.

xxrlo19xx

i believe it to be a female and she is rather large and fat. a lot bigger and fatter then the other milky.

wesleybrouwer

Seems male and female alright

You could send in some stool to a vet who knows about frogs enough.
    It might just indicate the frog has worms or flaggelates, but it might be nothing as well, just better to be save then sorry.
    Lots of frogs stress out by getting a new environment, lowering their natural defense against those parasites.

You might wan't to put in some hollow cork piece(s) or other hide outs.
    Here they loved spending the days inside a hide out, i provided this by a hollow cork tree and some hollows i created for them where some water collected, also great to lay their eggs in.

xxrlo19xx

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybrouwer View Post
    Seems male and female alright

You could send in some stool to a vet who knows about frogs enough.
    It might just indicate the frog has worms or flaggelates, but it might be nothing as well, just better to be save then sorry.
    Lots of frogs stress out by getting a new environment, lowering their natural defense against those parasites.

You might wan't to put in some hollow cork piece(s) or other hide outs.
    Here they loved spending the days inside a hide out, i provided this by a hollow cork tree and some hollows i created for them where some water collected, also great to lay their eggs in.
    It has a large hollos bamboo log thing that lays across the bottom of the tank in the evening she will sit on top of it but not go in it. was standing up they stayed away from it then so i layed it down. when i got the frogs there was no live plants in it and a very thin layer of eco earth substrate with dry frog moss on it. since i got them a couple weeks ago i put about 3in of eco earth in the bottom with some live moss that is starting to spread some and a bunch og llive plants with a large water bowl. since then ive heard the male call atleast 2 nights. They have a strange call i couldnt figure out what it was the first time. thought it was my dog that sleeps in my room.

Thread Information