Thread: Help choosing new frogs please!!

redross

Default Help choosing new frogs please!!

Hello,

I would like some help to choose some new fun frogs or toads if anyone here could give me some
    advice on what to choose.

At present I have FBT that I love they are very funny, I also have Green Tree frogs Hyla Cinera a bit noisy but fun
    Now I would prefer that they are Diurnal so I can se some more of them during the day and that they do not call as loud as the Hylas I already have.

I have read about Whites tree frogs and Red-Eyed Leaf Frog but as far as I understand they are both nocturnal.

Thankful for all the help I can get

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help choosing new frogs please!!

If you want a dinural species, you can forget pretty much every tree frogs, unfortunately. My knowledge about toads is very limited, but if you want some active, bold and dinural frogs, poison dart frogs are probably your best bet.
    Rana temporaria (Vanliga groda in Swedish) is active most of the day, but I have no idea how common they are in the hobby.

Hope this helps!

redross

Thanks for your quick answer.
    I had a feeling most frogs were just as you say nocturnal and that does not leave many left to choose from.
    Which are the best nocturnal frogs that does not sound to much do you think? RETF I am guessing
    Do you know if we have any good reliable breeders of dart frogs here in Sweden?
    Thanks also for your suggestions.

Badger

Yeah, almost all tree frogs are nocturnal...As for poison dart frogs D. tinctorius, or D. Leucomelas are probably the boldest I know of, and are very active.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by redross View Post
    I had a feeling most frogs were just as you say nocturnal and that does not leave many left to choose from.
    Well, most tree frogs are anyway.
    Which are the best nocturnal frogs that does not sound to much do you think? RETF I am guessing
    Red eyes are not un-loud, but they are not so frequent callers (at least not mine). A few times every 2 hours or so, perhaps, but it varies from night to night and frog to frog. Besides, their call is beautiful, so I would love if they called more often

Do you know if we have any good reliable breeders of dart frogs here in Sweden?
    Actually, dart frogs are almost the only species that we have breeding here in the country on a regular basis. Now, I don't want to link to another forum here, since I do not know if that's against any forum rules or not, but if you look at pure Swedish reptile/amphibians forums, you can found dart frogs of several species quite easily for sale (especially in the souther parts of Sweden, so you probably have to travel more south than Sundsvall to get them).
    If you want some more direct info on which forums, please PM me or add me on skype.

Thread Information