Thread: Woodhouses toad housed with grey tree frogs?

Lady medusa

Lightbulb Woodhouses toad housed with grey tree frogs?

Would a toad and grey tree frogs be housed together if they are of similar size? They have been quarentined ( i know thats not spelled right) for 60 days and all of them look healthy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

Default Re: Woodhouses toad housed with grey tree frogs?

Absolutely not. No amphibian should be kept in the same tank as another of different species. They can/will produce toxins that will cause cause the other frog or toad to become ill, or even kill each other. For both their safety, keep them apart.

Badger

What he said ^

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    What he said ^
    Tisk Tisk Dalton... lol Not much effort put into that reply... Hahahaha

Badger

Lol, I didn't wanna repeat everything you just said, so that seemed the easiest solution.

Lady medusa

Boooo! Fair enough i know u can keep certain reptiles together and actually lots of zoos make community vivariums. Some of my larger lizards after getting an OK from a vet i put them in a community vivarium and everythings been great. BUT they dont produce toxin. Now i have seen people keep different species of dendrobates or mantellas together so it kinda crossed my mind since they are from the same habitats to do a native species vivarium.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Well, there is a big difference between what you can do, and what you should. I personally look at it this way:
    Can it be beneficial for the animals? No
    Is there a possibility that it could harm them? Yes

For me, that pretty much makes it a no-brainer.

Badger

Even if they live together in the wild, there is most likely miles between them, not inches. All amphibians produce some toxin of their own, even if it's very mild it will still harm other species if kept together.

Lady medusa

I know amphibians have different ranges of toxin, just like corals do. (i know they r two completely different things!) i just kind of wondered cause even though corals r toxic to eachother was well certain species of fish, they can still be kept with other species without getting stressed and live happily as well.

And i just want to say my lizards that are in community terrariums are very healthy and happy in their enclosures. They have strong colors and healthy bodies. Infact there has been breeding going on in two of my enclosures so thats gotta say something right? Just saying

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

About the lizard breeding in community tank:
    The thing is they would most likely have bred if they were alone as well, so the community living did probably not add anything good in itself. Like I said in the first post: It might not always hurt the animals, but it's never beneficial (at least when we're talking reptiles ans amphibians).

A little off topic, but nice to see more people with an interest in both reptiles and frogs

Lady medusa

Im not saying community living was benificial in causing them to breed. Reptiles wont breed if they are stressed. Stressed reptiles are unhappy reptiles and the same goes for amphibians. So if they must be relaxed in their set ups. Id never keep an animal in a situation where its unhappy or my become hurt. Thats not what a responible keeper does. But in the same since how can you say something absoluetly wont work if no one tries it. Not saying it should be done with amphibians but with certain reptiles i think it is possible with peaceful happy coexhistance IF the enclosure is large enough and all their needs are met. But theres got to be plenty of cover and space for territories, plenty of food, and actually if one speices is nocturnal and one is diurnal its less likely there will be stress or aggression. Hey i live and breath fish,reptiles, and amphibians

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

I think you are missing my point Lady medusa, let me try to make my point clearer

Yes, it can probably be done without hurting the animals (stress, toxins etc.), if you have a very large enclosure, they are from the same region an so on. However, what I'm trying to say is that it's never actually good for the animals. It does not make them healthier or less stressed. I might not stress them, but it will not relieve stress.

If you make a list of what might happen, it would probably look like this:

Pros:
    -At best, they will not harm each other

Cons:
    -Might cause increased stress
    -Poison each other over time (amphibians)
    -Possible aggressiveness

Do you see what I'm saying? I'm not saying that it can't be done properly, I'm merely saying that even if you do it correctly, it will at best do nothing for the animals.

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    I'm not saying that it can't be done properly, I'm merely saying that even if you do it correctly, it will at best do nothing for the animals.
    Amazingly put Martin. That statement sums up the entire point of your argument!

Lady medusa

No i had gotten the point i just didnt want u to get the wrong idea about my creature keeping methods. In the end im not placing the two together. Which im not heart broken about it. I just means i get to make one extra vive . Which is kool cause since ive been upgrading my my snake enclosures (since everyone is growing) i have a few small empty set ups i donno what to do with.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

More viv-building = more fun, that's another good point, haha!
    I wish best of luck to all you animals, no matter what kind it is!

Badger

This was quite entertaining to read lol. Best wishes to you and your animals!

Thread Information