Thread: Will golden and splended mantellas use vertical space?

Lady medusa

Talking Will golden and splended mantellas use vertical space?

I am trying to make plans for my mantella vivairum upgrade. At the moment they are in a 10gal viv. I have two hexagon tanks that i could use. One is a 30gal the other is a 20 gal. The 30 gal i was going to utilize some of the upper areas for climbing. But im not 100% that they will actually use this space, so will they climb up walls and branches if they have them to use? If not i have other animals that i could put in this tank instead. Any input would be aewsome!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Will golden and splended mantellas use vertical space?

Sorry you didn't get a response to this sooner. Most mantella species will climb, but they are mainly terrestrial. I personally would go for something more horizontal than a hexagon terrarium, but you could always use the vertical space to grow more (and more elaborate) plants.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Lady medusa

Thanks so much for replying! I had a feeling they were more terrestrial but ive seen my golden mantella climb all the way to the top of his 10 gallon so that got me kinda curious. I think i am goin to proceed with the 30hex, either way there will be more room then in a 10 gal. And considering ive found some prehistoric looking "air ferns" the vertical space would be best. Thanks so much!

wesleybrouwer

Depending on type of mantella they do climb, the aurantiaca and pulchra can be kept quit simmilair in conditions.
    When kept to warm they will die from 'heat-related-muscle-spasm-syndrome', altough it's mainly the aurantiaca you have to be carefull about.

Mixing both species might seem to be a good idea because of this, but you better keep them seperated.
    The Pulchra are quit nervous and the aurantiaca is rather bold, this may cause the pulchra to stress out.
    Not to mention the different skin secretions and possibility of cross breeding.

I would use the high tank for the aurantiaca since they are more secure and will use the open climbing space.
    For the pulchra you do best by providing floor space with lots of hiding spots.
    In both tanks a large amount of leaf litter is something that can't be missing from the tank.

Lady medusa

Thats good info! Since i want to breed mantellas i am making sure they are in a species only set up. I dont want to end up with some lil hybrid monsters lol though the coloration combo would be interesting. So yea using a vertical setup would be good for my golden mantellas. Plus a vertical set up would be easier to keep cool. I think i am goin to have to move my mantella set ups into a cooler room for now though, we had to turn on the heater this week for winter and i noticed higher temp range in their tanks.

Thread Information