Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What can I keep in a 50 gallon fish tank?

DJMonty

Default What can I keep in a 50 gallon fish tank?

Hi, everyone.

I've recently had a 50 gallon fish tank come into my possession, and I want to stock it with something unusual. Frogs, reptiles, amphibians, etc.

My question to you is: What can I keep in this tank? It's about 3 feet long, 2 feet tall, and 1 and a half feet wide. In the centre it's about 2 inches wider than the sides.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: What can I keep in a 50 gallon fish tank?

You can put almost anything in there. what kind of frogs do you like? you could put a few tree frogs in there, or a group of leucs...all depends on what you like.

Badger

If you like unusual look at mossy tree frogs. What's your budget?

DJMonty

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure what kind of frogs I like; I've never kept anything besides fish. Poison Dart Frogs look cool, but I'm a bit wary of keeping anything like that as my little brother has access to this tank.

My budget is just about anything. I don't plan on stocking this for a while, I just want to get some ideas down. Preferably under £50, though.

Poly

There are many reptiles/amphibians you "can" keep in that tank, but I think the bigger question is which ones suite your lifestyle with their care needs.

Before buying any reptile or amphibian make sure you can make time for it's needs, or that it fits into your daily schedule.

~Royce

DJMonty

I'm hoping most reptiles/amphibians fit into my daily schedule. I'm generally out from 7am until 4pm (school), and from 4pm to 11pm I'm generally in the same room as the tank.

Badger

That's gonna be hard...frogs and supplies get expensive. 50 pounds is roughly 80 USD, and Including frogs, I just spent 120 USD on my recent tank, and that was low budget. If this is your first frog, I suggest 2 or 3 White's tree frogs. they are hardy, tolerant to handling, and easy to care for. You can take a look at my thread (Hexagon Vivarium journal/advice) for ideas. That tank is for 2 white's tree frogs. In the US, these frogs for for about 20 USD, so if they go for the same price there than they are around 12.5 pounds.

DJMonty

Thanks for the info.

When I said I had a budget of £50, I meant per frog. I wasn't factoring in equipment.

I'll be sure to check out the White's tree frogs, though.

Poly

Tree frogs are great, but for a begginer, they require a large enclosure, you may want to start off with a terrestrial frog such as a Pacman or Tomato frog, as they only require a 10-15 Gallon set-up.

Badger

Ahh alright, then White's is a great choice. Keep us posted.

DJMonty

Pacman frogs and Tomato frogs look pretty cool.

Which would you say is the best for a first frog? Pacman frogs, Tomato Frogs, or White's Tree Frogs? Or any other type of frog/reptile?

EDIT: I've just seen some Poison Arrow Frogs... How good are these for beginners? Do they pose any serious risk to young children?

Poly

Poison Dart Frogs loose thier poison when kept in captivity. They are not a good begginer frog.

I would go with a Pacman, they are not picky eaters and their care needs are extremely easy.

EDIT: Also, you will love the colours of these frogs, their like a big dart frog They come in green, red, yellow, and more!

Plus, their cheap to purchase, anywhere between 20-60$.

DJMonty

Thanks for the info.

Are Pacman frogs best kept on their own, or in groups? Do they get scared by larger spaces?

Badger

They aren't poisonous if that's what you are wondering..they get it from the food they eat in the wild. All of the above are good starter frogs, but you have a pretty big tank, so I figured that you could take adcantage of all the space. I have not yet owned a pac or tomato, but I know that pacs cannot live together. Only 1 per enclosure...not sure on the tomato though. White's are usually fine in groups. The dimensions of your tank are 36 7/8 x 19 x 19 5/8 correct? It could be taller, but that should be fine for them. I love my white's, but they are nocturnal, so they pretty much sleep all day...but one's the lights are out they explore/hunt/ etc.

Poly

Pacman frog's must be kept alone. They will try to eat anything moving that is their size. Just take a look a a Pacman CareSheet.

Poly

Tomato frogs can be kept in small or large groups with no issues.

DJMonty

Thanks for the info, guys.

What is the ideal number of White's Tree Frogs to have in a tank of this size?

What is the ideal number of Tomato Frogs to have in a tank of this size?

How active are the White's?

How active are the Tomato frogs?

How active are the Pacman Frogs?

Badger

White's aren't very active during the day, but still very cool. You could comfortably fit 3-4 White's in there, but no more than that.

Poly

In a 55 Gallon, you could have upwards of 10 Tomato frogs. Tomato frogs are fairly active, digging, hopping, hunting etc. which they do during the day and night.

Pacman frogs are not an active frog, they will half-burry themselves and stay like that for most of the day, until night when they start to hunt.

DJMonty

Thanks for the information, guys. Thanks to you guys, I've narrowed my choices of inhabitants from thousands down to three. I'll keep you posted on what I decide to stock.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information