Thread: Help with the ACF that refuses to grow!

OpaKG

Default Help with the ACF that refuses to grow!

Hi, new here and signed up specifically for advice with my African clawed frogs!
    I currently have a pair that I bought as tiny little 2cm frog-lets just over 6 months ago, they have both been housed together since. One of them has grown rather large, he/she is a good 4-5 inch now but I am worried about the other, currently named Tiny.
    This small one, has not grown much since being a frog-let, literally maybe a few mm that's it. They were bought on the same day from the same batch!

Why is Tiny so... well... tiny!
    One theory i have is that he/she has only one eye. But if that's not it then I'm stumped. Any clue at all ?

Here is fatso:
    Name:  IMAG0124.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  58.2 KB

Here is tiny!
    Name:  IMAG0129.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  70.3 KB
    Last edited by OpaKG; October 24th, 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: adding photos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with the ACF that refuses to grow!

The "one-eye" theory may adversely affect the feeding efficiency of terrestrial frogs, but ACFs rarely use their eyes. Vision seems to be of little use even in clear water and during the day. In their native habitat, this species lives in cloudy waters and as a result, their eyes are poorly developed. The main function of the eyes is protective arousal: when a large object moves rapidly over the aquarium, frogs that have been hanging at the water surface will quickly dive to the bottom to hide. On the other hand, objects passing by the side of the aquarium rarely elicit an escape response. The eye is constructed for seeing what is in the air (above the water's surface).

Probably the reason why Tiny is so small is because of aggressive, hierarchical behavior. Heavier frogs display aggressive behavior more frequently than do lighter ones and more aggressive frogs eat more than less aggressive animals. Although, it is a great idea to keep more than one ACF in the same tank, it is important that the size of each frog is about the same size. Keep Tiny in a separate tank until it reaches the size of the larger one. The fat one looks like a female.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

lisaann177

Hello! Sometimes the smaller acf babies don't get the chance to eat what they would/need too. I have to feed my smaller ones and my baby males with a turkey baster to make sure that they are getting enough food so that they can grow properly. Just give a try...it may work for you also.

Sincerely,
    lisaann177

OpaKG

Ahh turkey baster, i never thought of that. I have tried hand feeding the little one with no luck so i will see what the reaction is like with that, thanks
    I was also considering seperating them but due to space, I only actually have a teeny little tank spare i used for guppy fry, and will feel bad keeping tiny in there.

Thread Information