Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stones in my Eco Earth.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Stones in my Eco Earth.

I just prepared some Eco Earth to change Grif's substrate and I'm finding stones that look like Quartz in the substrate that are a little smaller than a pea. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm really not happy to find these in my Eco Earth and fear for my frogs if I don't get them all out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jcal

Default Re: Stones in my Eco Earth.

I found a bunch of white plastic strips in my last batch.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    I found a bunch of white plastic strips in my last batch.
    Might have to write them a letter or send an E-mail. I don't like finding hazardous thing in my frogs substrate.

Badger

I would complain, maybe you could get a couple free bags lol. But on a serious note, that's not good at all, I would try and sift it through a strainer maybe? Just try to get as much of it out as possible.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I would complain, maybe you could get a couple free bags lol. But on a serious note, that's not good at all, I would try and sift it through a strainer maybe? Just try to get as much of it out as possible.
    I had to grind it up with my hands because it didn't expand right like is supposed to. So I'm looking as I'm grinding because I have no way of sifting it right now. I'm really not happy about that.

Badger

I wouldn't be either. If you're mad enough call em. I had to grind mine up as well, but not a ton. I am disappointed in exo-terra.

BG

For now change the brand to plantation soil. I would call them and tell them so they can fix the issue. We cant afford an incident. I'm sure they would send you a coupon for a free brick. The bricks are machine made. Thanks for looking out.

Badger

Or try another brick if you have one.

Nationality
    [United States]

No one around me but my vet carries Plantation soil. I've been wanting to try it. Ill see if I can get some and ill call about the Eco Earth having stones tomorrow. Hopefully the resolve the issue. I don't want to lose any of my frogs or any of you losing yours.

Badger

Keep us posted!

Nationality
    [United States]

This are what I found in the EcoEarth:
    Name:  20111023223236.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  36.2 KBName:  20111023223247.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  46.0 KB

I find this very disturbing. I previously used All Living Things; Jungle Blend. The label said 100% coconut fiber but I found it had quite a bit of sand in it. I was worried about the sand irritating my frogs' skin. I don't know if the sand got in their from the grinding process or if they put the sand in to make the package heavier (since it is sold by the ounce). I have also used Fluker's brand and found pebbles in that, although they were smoother, reddish/ brown stones whereas the ones in the EcoEarth appear to quartz. But the still pose danger to my frogs and that is NOT ok! I realize that pacmans can pass smaller stones, but I would rather not risk it. I also take ethical issue with this false marketing that appears to be going on. If the package says 100% coco fiber, then there should not be anything else in the contents. Unless their math is really bad (100% coconut/ 10% rocks?) or rocks come from coconuts (??) then there is something else going on here. I doubt anyone will answer if I call this late on a Sunday night, so I will have to call them tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Badger

Those are pretty big. Not good at all.

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    This are what I found in the EcoEarth:
    Name:  20111023223236.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  36.2 KBName:  20111023223247.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  46.0 KB

I find this very disturbing. I previously used All Living Things; Jungle Blend. The label said 100% coconut fiber but I found it had quite a bit of sand in it. I was worried about the sand irritating my frogs' skin. I don't know if the sand got in their from the grinding process or if they put the sand in to make the package heavier (since it is sold by the ounce). I have also used Fluker's brand and found pebbles in that, although they were smoother, reddish/ brown stones whereas the ones in the EcoEarth appear to quartz. But the still pose danger to my frogs and that is NOT ok! I realize that pacmans can pass smaller stones, but I would rather not risk it. I also take ethical issue with this false marketing that appears to be going on. If the package says 100% coco fiber, then there should not be anything else in the contents. Unless their math is really bad (100% coconut/ 10% rocks?) or rocks come from coconuts (??) then there is something else going on here. I doubt anyone will answer if I call this late on a Sunday night, so I will have to call them tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it goes.
    I don't think I've seen a more perfect substance for impaction...

Lucky I have toads and can use sand, I'd loose it if I found ROCKS in 100% PURE COCO-FIBRE...

Keep us updated Grif!

Amphibious

It makes so much sense now! I just keep find small amounts of very gritty sand in Harold's soak dish. I use Eco Earth, too. I would be furious if I was you though.

Nationality
    [United States]

That is frustrating. I am amazed that their would be rocks and other objects in such a widely recomended substrate. I will have to be much more careful. Are we finding these mostly in bricks? I buy the huge bags.

Also, if anyone needs to get plantation soil, you can get from Josh's Frogs (a forum sponser).

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, here are the results of my phone call to Zoo Med. I explained the situation, got transferred to quality control, explained the situation again emphasizing how unhappy I am about this. The women I spoke to said to email the pictures of the rocks to her (which I did) and that she would forward it to quality control and they would "look into it." A little flimsy sounding, if you ask me. They are supposed to send another brick as replacement. I am also supposed to contact them if I find any more. Annoyingly, I just purchased 2 3-packs of bricks. Jack's aquarium had them on sale buy 1 get 1 free. The rocks were in the first one I opened. Now I am wondering if the other 5 have rocks as well.

The woman also told me that the bricks are already processed and in brick form before they get to the Eco Earth plant. They just put the wrappers/labels on them. She didn't say who their supplier is, but apparently the coco fiber is left out in the sun to dry, sometimes for years and debris can blow into it. That's pretty disturbing. I would presume that other brands use a similar process, which would explain why I found sand and pebbles in them. Who knows, maybe they even use the same supplier? They get away with saying 100% coco fiber because they are allowed a margin of error for "debris." You know, like how chocolate can have a certain number of insects...

I don't feel any better after this call than I did before. What these companies consider a reasonable margin of error is a potentially deadly issue for my frogs. THAT IS NOT OK! I will certainly be keeping a very close eye out. I am looking into using plantation soil. Anyone use it for their pacmans? Do the frogs seem to like it? Anyone had any problems with it? I am very cautious about any substrate product after this. Things are hardly ever what they seem. In the mean time, I think I might run over to Home Depot and pick a screen. I'll try to jerry-rig something up so I can sift through the substrate and make sure I don't find any more surprises.

Badger

That's ridiculous. Wow. I coulda sworn it was exo terra, but now that I think about it, yeah..it is zoo-med. anyways, that's messed up. Good idea with the sifting though.

Eel Noob

I have found twig and plastics but no rocks yet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    I have found twig and plastics but no rocks yet.
    I have 6 bricks because it was on sale. Buy one triple pack and get a second free. I told them when I go through the other bricks I'm going to call every time I find rocks or any other potentially hazardous objects in their substrate. I just can't believe I found this I a brand that's supposed to be the safedst and best for frogs. I had to warn you all.

R3N3G4D3

I buy this [http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ctId=11147195] at PetSmart and have had zero problems with it. Maybe you can try that after you finish your bricks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information