Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lateralis (turkistan) Roaches

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Lateralis (turkistan) Roaches

Does anyone use these?

I have 2 leopard geckos and 2 fire bellied toads. I started a dubia roach colony hoping to feed everyone from. The geckos love the dubias, the toads do not. Even if they catch them, they just spit them out. Same with my sisters tree frogs (green tree frogs), they don't spit them out, they just don't eat them. So we've been stuck buying crickets, which I hate. I came across a good deal on Lateralis ($10 for 1000, $10 for shipping), but they were out of everything but new hatch. I bought 1000, and have been raising them. They're not yet big enough to feed exclusively, but the frog and toad reactions have been favorable. They like them. They move around more than dubias and don't hide or burrow. They're much more cricket-like.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sublime

Default Re: Lateralis (turkistan) Roaches

Yeah the Lateralis are a much better alternative to crickets. That's a good deal you got on them too, I would of swooped on that. They're much more active, faster breeders, and favorable size for small frogs at adult size. Also to note, they have the same nutritional value if not better than dubias.

I don't use them; exclusively a dubia colony for me now. Hope all works out for you.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you intend to breed them, I'd highly recommend a substrate. The ooths are notorious for drying out, having something that buffers them from the heat source and holds moisture better is the best remedy for this. I typically use some kind of coir blend.

I have a few stubborn animals that won't eat B. dubia as well, primarily my Rhacodactylus geckos. I generally use lats or E. posticus (Orange Heads) for the guys that needs a little more movement to be encouraged to feed. Dubia have a nasty habit of holding perfectly still and laying flat as possible at the worst times, I swear they have a sense for predation, lol. The lateralis are probably the best roaches for feeding in naturalistic vivaria IMO - don't generally burrow and are more inclined to move about in the open instead of hiding in a nook for hours on end.

Keep them warm, and spray them down a couple of times pet weeks. Not so excessivvely that its always moist in there, but enough to keep humidity up and lightly dampen the substrate. Ooths seem to take forever to hatch, but once they do its like an eruption of tiny nymphs - females lay 1-2 each month and they can have as high a capacity as 40 nymphs and as low as 20 a pop.

PS: Don't let them get into drain ; )
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I hadn't decided whether to breed them or not, but after seeing how much the toads liked them, I think I might. I've got one local guy who buys the extra dubia from me, and bet I could find more buyers, since around here your choices are crickets and mealworms.

The guy is still selling the roaches for that price. I don't know if I am allowed to post a link or not, so I won't, but if anyone wants to PM me, I can give you the info. He has a website, money goes through paypal.

MonsterPyxie

try dipping a paint brush is suger water, and smearing the roaches with it. Maybe they just taste gross.

BG

I have a colony of turks. They are hardier then dubia. They also dont dive into the substrate. I feed these to my T's. I'm also going to feed them to my babie frogs.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Do they need the same temperature as dubia? These roaches seem perfect for my gastrotheca! Finally had my first dubia nymphs, but I'm needing all the dubia for my bigger frogs and salamanders. I'm breeding crickets, but if breeding these turks is a bit like breeding dubia then I'm done with crickets.

Oh yeah, what if one of these escapes?
    Last edited by Niels D; October 24th, 2011 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Forgot a question
    P.hosii/G.riobambae/S.couchii/C.cranwelli/B.orientalis/R.humboldti/M.klappenbachi

MonsterPyxie

Quote Originally Posted by Niels D View Post
    Do they need the same temperature as dubia? These roaches seem perfect for my gastrotheca! Finally had my first dubia nymphs, but I'm needing all the dubia for my bigger frogs and salamanders. I'm breeding crickets, but if breeding these turks is a bit like breeding dubia then I'm done with crickets.

Oh yeah, what if one of these escapes?
    you breed dubia, and havn't thrown your cricket's out the window yet?

lateralis are considered up there with dubia. If it where me, I would stick with dubia, just focus on them and before you know it you will be overrun with the buggers.

I also have lobsters, but I can't stand them. SUPER fast spazz of a roach, and even with my best attempts to have my 3 bearded dragons eat as much as they can..... trying to kill off the colony... they are still out breeding what I can feed off. Even with there insane breeding.... I wish I could just kill them off

MonsterPyxie

just found this

8 Thousands Mixed Blatta lateralis Turkistan Feeder Roaches | eBay8,000 roaches for $85. Seems like one hell of a deal to me!

I have no interest in lateralis, but I'm still tempted by that deal, haha

Edit: then again, looking at it. The seller doesn't have much rating on ebay, and the picture does not look like 8,000 could even fit in that egg crate in the picture. I would be asking the seller for PROOF of the numbers, atleast ask him t knock the egg crates out into the bin, and take a picture of all the roaches in the bin without egg crate, or any hide's.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

I just had my first nymphs, so I'm still needing the crickets. I've fed the gastrothecas small dubia, but I guess they need critters which are more active, cause they hardly gave any response when I put dubia in their tank. Maybe these lateralis will do the trick.
    P.hosii/G.riobambae/S.couchii/C.cranwelli/B.orientalis/R.humboldti/M.klappenbachi

MonsterPyxie

Quote Originally Posted by Niels D View Post
    I just had my first nymphs, so I'm still needing the crickets. I've fed the gastrothecas small dubia, but I guess they need critters which are more active, cause they hardly gave any response when I put dubia in their tank. Maybe these lateralis will do the trick.
    understandable, lucky for me none of my critters have been that picky.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Could they cause an infestation?

Nationality
    [United States]

No - I'm convinced this species (Shelfordella lateralis)won't be able to infest the house. They are prolific breeders, but they're egg cases are simply too sensitive to really be any bother in standard home conditions. They can most certainly survive and will breed and much lower temps than B. dubia and other common feeder roaches, though. I've had ooths laid at temps as low as 72 degrees...whether or not they were fertile is another question and these ooths never hatched out. A heard of rumor of someone having them breed in a shower drain; but it was a quick fix (apparently a very unused area of the basement, giving them a chance to go unnoticed). Other than this, I've not heard a single thing.

My lobster roaches (Nauphoeta cinerea) on the other thand... I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. I guess thats poor wording, but I've witnessed litters being born at temps as low as 69 degrees F. They climb smooth surfaces, breed quickly, and as mentioned by MonsterPyxie, they are fast. Not heard of an infestation case, but I wouldn't put it past this species. I've convinced anything in the Blaptica, Blaberus, and Eublaberus genus could never infest a home even if you wanted them to, though.
    -Jeff Howell

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Thanks. I like the fact that lateralis can't climb, but it would be perfect if they were life bearing. I've red that some people don't use any substrate though.

Nationality
    [United States]

I know - a lot of people don't; but I've had limited success with this species without a substrate. I actually separated a two cultures of about 5k each this summer to be sold: one was allowed a substrate and one only had the bottom of the bin. I was only witnessing about a 50% ooth hatch rate in the bare bottom bin, and a lot of dried up ooths within the mix of frass and skins. Depends on the individual conditions, ambient humidity in the enclosure, what you are using to heat them and the temperature, etc.
    -Jeff Howell

17. This member thanks JeffreH for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I might do something I have heard of other people doing, leaving the colony unheated and fairly dry and hatching the ooths
    separately. I'm thinking yogurt type cups with a damp paper towel and lots of tiny air holes and placed inside the heated dubia
    tank. That way, I don't have to heat a whole colony and can choose roughly how many nymphs I have.

Badger

where would one purchase these? I'm currently only feeding crickets to my wood/ leopard/ and white's. How much more nutrition do these carry? And roaches don't make noise, so that is a huge bonus, because that is the only reason preventing me from breeding crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

badkelpie - I've heard of that working as well; let me know how it goes for you if you decide to try it out. I'm honestly just too lazy to separate ooths every couple of days - so I opt to use the substrate... helps to cover up some smell as well with Shelfordella being slightly smellier than other roaches. If I only had a couple of roach bins it would be practical, but the quantity I have puts me in a position where feeding twice a week takes long enough to not want to add any extra tactics to the mix =)

Dalton - I'll be honest in that I haven't thoroughly looked over this forum's rules for posting links to other classifieds and advertisements, so PM me and I can give you a site with private sellers that usually have the best prices. I can give you a few sites off the top of my head otherwise, but prices for lats are very steep at most:
    Aaron Pauling.com
    Greg's Exotic Inverts Home - Greg's Exotic Inverts
    Home - Roach Crossing
    DoubleDs

The lower three are fantastic roach enthusiast sites (along with Bugs In Cyberspace), these are some of the top names in the roach world for collector species - and quantities of feeder species aren't as high (hence the higher prices in general).

I've placed an order through 'The Bug Pros' before, but they have since been taken over by another company to my knowledge. They sold 1k for about the prices the OP suggested.

Starting to wish I hadn't sold off the bulk of my lat colonies... been getting a lot of requests for them lately. Wish I could help you out = /
    -Jeff Howell

Nationality
    [United States]

Almost forgot, your nutritional analysis!

Firstly, this is NOT my work. This chart is the property of Dexter and Debbie at DoubleDs and Blaberus Home Page

SampleMoistureProteinFat Fiber Ash

B. Laterallis 63.63% 36.5% 5.31% 2.19% 1.95%

B. Dubia 61.18% 35.6% 6.75% 3.25% 2.01%

Meal worms 58.74% 21.0% 15.52% 2.01% 1.18%

Crickets 71.96% 18.5% 6.26% 2.09% 1.29%

G. Portentosa 64.09% 26.7% 5.05% 5.62% 1.37%

Direct link to chart on Dexter and Debbie's site:
    http://www.doubleds.org/newfeederpg.html

This shows that roaches, ALL roaches, are substantially leaner than most other feeder insects. There are some things the chart doesn't account for, but its a good base and I've seen this one used in a number of feeder nutrional guides. G. portentosa = Madagascar Hissing Roach btw...
    -Jeff Howell

Badger

People use those as feeders ?!?! wow. and Thanks a lot for that table!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information