Thread: RETF sleeping a week straight?

JayF

Default RETF sleeping a week straight?

I had my 3 RETF for over a year and they been doing great. There is one now though that has been sleeping for over a week straight. I am up to at least 3 a.m everyday so I believe he is not waking up. He is on the back of the glass. Very fat but doesn't wake up for some reason. Is this a problem or do they do this from time to time? Never seen them do this before? Color looks good. He is a dark green because he is in a darkish corner. I have a 18x18x18 tank. Temp during the day 75-85 night 70-75. Humidity around 75-80.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They do sleep more/less than usual from time to time. However, a week sounds long. How is the day/night-cycle? Are is his enclosure dark after the light is out? I'm no expert, but it sounds like he's to afraid to venture out in the tank. Have you changed anything recently, that he could still be stressing about?

JayF

Default Re: RETF sleeping a week straight?

His day and night cycle is 12 hours. Light are on 9:30 a.m to 9:30 p.m. I did clean out there tank about 2 weeks ago. Everytime I do I always make it look different, rearrange stuff. He has always been fine with this. The only change that I can think of is that I run a night time bulb now because of weather starting to get cold. I run a incadesent bulb for heat purposes. Like I said looks fine just hasn't moved from the same spot in about a week.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

I would recommend you to stop rearranging to often, as this is likely to stress him. They seem to do better when they know their envoirment. The are creatures of habit (to some extent at least). This is actually quite easy to see when I feed them, for example. They always, and I do mean always, take the exact same route to the feeding bowl every time.

If his sleep increased si dramaticly at the same time as you started to use some lightning at night, it is quite possible that it does not get dark enough. If you can manage the temp for a night or two, try to turn the night lamp off and see if that helps.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Red Eyed Leaf Frogs seem to dislike night lighting and I read of some having no problems with it but mine have big issues with any light on at night.
    I have had mine sleep or stay in the exact same place for a week though and it may be he/she is going back there after making the rounds when the place is quiet and no ones around.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

JayF

going to see if i can manage the temp with no lights on at night for a day or two see if that helps.

Iceemn360

If the frog looks otherwise healthy, then I would imagine that perhaps the enclosure is on the drier side. Perhaps misting more heavily/frequently especially at night just before feeding to give them a chance to wake up and molt. The only time I see my red eyes become less active is if kept too cool or too dry.

Nationality
    [United States]

JayF,
    I live in NY. If you are in the north east as well---this time of year is hard to get things balanced as the weather changes; especially as the heat in the house comes on and off. I use a black light ( 50 watt) over the quarantine tank and a ceramic bulb ( no light) over the main enclosure. As always, any heat source needs close monitoring til things are right , making sure there are no hot spots.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

My retf's are pretty tolerant, but I too have had to adjust the heat and lighting accordingly to get a somewhat steady result in the last couple weeks. I have run my day lights and infared lamp spread out during the day with close monitoring and extra misting. It seems to be enough to keep the tank warm through the night when I shut them off at night. My quarantine tank has a side heater that works well. The house is dry from the furnace running. I have been misting at least 3x/day. My pacman's tank too.

It took all of my frogs about a week to adjust though and their sleep cycles were off. It is also dark outside early now, so I have been leaving my bedroom lights on during the day so they'll sleep. So far so good.

Good luck!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

JayF

My house is fairly humid because I have 5 saltwater fish tanks in my house. Humidity is always between 75-85 for my RETF.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's good .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

JayF

He finally woke up last night. Didn't see move around the tank but he was sitting on a log when I went to go look at him. Did he explore the tank, not sure went to bed after I seen him on the log. Kept the infared light and he woke up, so time will tell. Is there a way I get get another heat source besides the infared bulb. Don't want a heat pad that sticks underneath either cuz i tried that before the bulb and it did nothing for the tank. Got one bigger for the company required also. It was a Zoo-med heater pad that either sticks to the bottom or sides. What is a ceramic bulb? Never heard of it.

Iceemn360

Quote Originally Posted by JayF View Post
    My house is fairly humid because I have 5 saltwater fish tanks in my house. Humidity is always between 75-85 for my Red-Eyed Leaf Frog.
    Glad the frog woke up! Lots of saltwater eh. are you on Reefcentral? I've got a 125 salt of my own.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JayF View Post
    . Don't want a heat pad that sticks underneath either cuz i tried that before the bulb and it did nothing for the tank.
    And under tank heater (UTH for short) is best when place higher up on the side of the tank. This way, it will increase the ambient temperature of the tank. When place under the tank, it will only warm the substrate. An UTH is a good choice if the frog is very sensitive about lightning at night.

What is a ceramic bulb? Never heard of it.
    A ceramic bulb is basically a light bulb that does not generate any light at all, just heat. Like a radiator in bulb shape. Same thing here, you can add heat without adding light. However, be VERY careful when experimenting with these. Even a 60W ceramic can get extremely hot. You do need to place it in a ceramic lamp holder since a plastic one will melt.
    Exo Terra : Heat Wave Lamp / Ceramic Heat Emitter

JayF

Thanks, have to look into those bulbs. I go on Reef Central sometimes, but I belong to a reefing club called Boston Reefers. So i basically go on that site a lot.

Thread Information