Thread: Sick white tree frog

mandysutton82

Unhappy Sick white tree frog

My daughter brought a tree frog home about a month ago with out knowing how to properly take care of it. I have spent a ton of money trying to get everything it needs to survive. We got it a bigger aquarium for him a week go along with the proper lighting. Well I didn't adjust well. For about a week now it just stays in the same spot. Doesn't move I pick him up each day to make sure its alive and to try to move him to another spot. I have no clue what's wrong with him. Just only that he may be stressed from us changing it's enviroment and lighting. I thought I was helping him not makin it worse. It's driving me nuts that it just sits there in the same spot all the time and that it's probably not eating beings it hasn't moved any. I feel like he's maybe dying but don't have money to take it to a vet. I just don't know what to do. I have talked to the pet store. And they said it's probably stressed and to keep a heat lamp on him all day and night. Please help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: sick white tree frog

It's quite possible he is very stressed. I have a few questions regarding your setup though.

1). What kind of bulbs are you using?

2). How big is your tank?

3). Do you have a temp/ humidity gauge?

Pics would help greatly. I don't recommend picking him up everyday due to the oils on our hands that can harm amphibians. Frogs are very sensitive and absorb substances through their skin. Is this a white's tree frog, or Green tree frog? Also, I wouldn't leave the heat lamp on 24/7 if it isn't a red or black bulb.

Good luck!

mandysutton82

We did purchase the red heat bulb 50 watts. I do have a 20 gallon aqaurim with 2 thermometers and hydrometers in it. It is a white tree frog and I have been battling the humidity level a lot. I moistened the moss tonite and I try to spray the tank a few times a day. So far he has not touched any of his crickets I put in there. Oh durin the day I switch to a white bulb that pets mart suggested along with a seperate bulb that is suppose to help them break down there food easier. Not sure. I been going to the pet store once a week getting suggestions.

mandysutton82

Everyday I come home thinking he'll be dead but he is always alive and just sittin in the same spot. I know he'll eventually die if nothing changes. I just hate seein him suffer and not know what to do. How long will he suffer for if the condition of him don't change. I just wish he either get better or hurry up and die. I don't want it to die at all. But I just feel so bad for it.

Badger

I would leave him be, just make sure he has food and water. what is the temp usually at? Also, I have never heard of a white tree frog. White's tree frogs are pretty common in the pet trade though. He could live a while or short amount of time if he doesn't eat. Stress can severely kill a frogs appetite, and new habitat+ numerous other changes = stress. Like I said, I would leave him for a few days without changing anything. Make sure he has appropriate sized crickets (No bigger than the space between his eyes) and a water dish with water. Make sure no lights other than the red bulb are on after dark, 12 hours on/ 12 hours off is a good day/night cycle. Also, dust his crickets with vitamin/ calcium powder wiht vitamin D3, this can be obtained at most pet stores. Petsmart's employees are generally not very knowledgable in the ways of their animals, so take their advice with a grain of salt. Like I said, Picture can help very much, because we can see the frogs condition. Have you read any care articles about your frog yet? If not google some, they help a lot. Lemme know if you have any other questions.

mandysutton82

Lol I get on the internet everyday reading everything I can find on tree frogs. I did dust the crickets with the calcium powder. I'm just hoping the he'll eat them and start moving around. I just been touching him cuz I always think he is dead and want to make sure he is still alive. I will def leave him alone for a few days. During the day I was keeping his temps at 75 to 80 and at night letting it drop down to like 65. Tonight is the first night with the red bulb. I guess time will tell.

mandysutton82

I'm not sure how I even upload a picture on here. I just registered this evening. I will try to figure it out in the morning.

mandysutton82

Ok I have a couple of pics uploaded now

Badger

Alright. I have no clue what kind of frog that is...It resembles a green tree frog, almost, but the color is almost white lol. I hope John or Don or someone else more knowledgeable than me. What room is he in? It's always good to put frogs in a room with as little foot traffic as possible, it's another cause of stress. I hope he/she starts eating soon. Good job dusting them.

mandysutton82

So sad to say he died not even an hour ago. Never thought I could be so sad over a frog. But since I have spent so much money tryont to get him everything he needs I think I'm gonna try another one. Thanks for ur suggestions. And I will move the aquarim to a different room cuz it was in the living room

Badger

Sorry for your loss I suggest a White's Tree Frog if you like tree frogs, they are very hardy and are pretty cool lookin. Another good starter frog is a pacman frog. I love the look of white's though haha. Once again, sorry about the frog, you did everything you could to save him. He may have been sick especially if it was wild caught. Good luck and have fun!

rosaphile

So sorry the little guy died. It sounds to me like there's not a whole lot more you could have done for him. Good on you for making such an effort!

This forum is a fantastic resource for caring for frogs. If you choose to get a White's tree frog, don't miss the care sheet on here if you haven't seen it already. Also I found when I was researching that most care sheets online seem to have pretty sketchy info on the substrate for White's tree frogs; I didn't find out until I came here that the usual recommendations for bark/sphagnum moss etc. are not good for White's tree frogs. The knowledgeable guys on here recommend a false bottom or drainage layer to keep the substrate from getting soggy, and a substrate of Eco Earth/Plantation Soil which is safe for them. I hope I don't sound too much of a know-it-all since I don't even have our frog yet, I'm just repeating what I've read!

Best of luck and once again, sorry you had a bad experience with your little guy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

So sorry to read that your frog passed on. It is tough bringing on in from the outdoors and have it acclimate to a new different captive environment.
    I would suggest if you do purchase a frog, start with a Whites Tree Frog. Have some plants that they can climb on such as smaller Bromeliads, snake plant and pothos. Live plants will help with humidity, creating hiding/sleeping spots. and places to climb and stay off the substrate.
    Since these are tree frogs they like to be up off the bottom. Vines or a branch will help with this.

Again, sorry for your loss and hope this does not discourage you from keeping another.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Thread Information