Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heating Problems!

R3N3G4D3

Default Heating Problems!

Ok, so the temperature has dropped into the fifties and sixties here in Jacksonville. As a result, my Pacman Frog's habitat has as well. Last night, I went out and bought a 10 gallon terrarium (because the XL plastic tote wasn't maintaining heat well), but his/her new set up is actually staying around the same temp. (70 to 73 degrees) as his/her old one! I bought the appropriate size tank heater and it's mounted on the side opposite the water dish, so I can't figure out why the habitat isn't heating properly. He/she is buried near the heater and moving, so I know he/she is ok for now - I really need to get the temperature raised though, so what are some suggestions for all you experienced keepers who have braved the winter?

Some side information:

I have my apartment's heater set at 73 degrees.
    The terrarium is sitting on a book shelf, which is close to the patio glass door.
    Humidity is at 80%.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Heating Problems!

Quote Originally Posted by R3N3G4D3 View Post
    Ok, so the temperature has dropped into the fifties and sixties here in Jacksonville. As a result, my Pacman Frog's habitat has as well. Last night, I went out and bought a 10 gallon terrarium (because the XL plastic tote wasn't maintaining heat well), but his/her new set up is actually staying around the same temp. (70 to 73 degrees) as his/her old one! I bought the appropriate size tank heater and it's mounted on the side opposite the water dish, so I can't figure out why the habitat isn't heating properly. He/she is buried near the heater and moving, so I know he/she is ok for now - I really need to get the temperature raised though, so what are some suggestions for all you experienced keepers who have braved the winter?

Some side information:

I have my apartment's heater set at 73 degrees.
    The terrarium is sitting on a book shelf, which is close to the patio glass door.
    Humidity is at 80%.
    First thing I would do is get the frog away from that patio door. The cold air can easily pass through the glass and affect the terrarium temps. Buy a lamp with a dimmer switch with either a basking light bulb with a concentrated beam so it doesn't have to be bright to produce heat. Or purchase a infrared light bulb. 50 watts no more than that. The lamp with the dimmer switch will allow you to control the amount of light and heat coming from the bulb. I purchased Grif at the end of last febuary so I haven't been through an entire winter but its still pretty cold at that time and that is what I did. Definetly move the enclosure away from the patio door though It will severly affect temps.

R3N3G4D3

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    First thing I would do is get the frog away from that patio door. The cold air can easily pass through the glass and affect the terrarium temps. Buy a lamp with a dimmer switch with either a basking light bulb with a concentrated beam so it doesn't have to be bright to produce heat. Or purchase a infrared light bulb. 50 watts no more than that. The lamp with the dimmer switch will allow you to control the amount of light and heat coming from the bulb. I purchased Grif at the end of last febuary so I haven't been through an entire winter but its still pretty cold at that time and that is what I did. Definitely move the enclosure away from the patio door though It will severly affect temps.
    Alright, I moved the enclosure into my bedroom (warmest room in the apartment) for now until I can find a permanent residence. My cats can be a little too curious, so I have to find a place where they can't stress him out. I'm going to see how the temp. reacts before buying a lighting fixture, but where can I get one with a dimmer switch? Does PetSmart or PetCo carry them?

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright, I moved the enclosure into my bedroom (warmest room in the apartment) for now until I can find a permanent residence. My cats can be a little too curious, so I have to find a place where they can't stress him out. I'm going to see how the temp. reacts before buying a lighting fixture, but where can I get one with a dimmer switch? Does PetSmart or PetCo carry them?
    Yeah Petsmart carries them. That's where I got mine. I use the lamps with the dimmer because it makes it much easier to control temps and brightness of the bulb. You can leave the lamp on all the time if you buy a night time bulb like an infrared and they don't affect night time cycle.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also lights burn off humidity so you will have to mist a little more often but the temps will be maintained.

R3N3G4D3

Would you suggest for me to purchase two light fixtures - one for the 50 watt basking and the other for the 50 watt infrared, so I can maintain the temp. through the day and night? Or just one and rotate the bulbs? The temp. has risen a little since I moved it into my bedroom, but it needs to be closer to 80 degrees.

Badger

As opposed to the two separate fixtures, get a double light fixture such as a hood, or a cheaper double deep dome by zoo-med

Hood: 18" fluorescent hood fixture
    Double deep dome: Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp

R3N3G4D3

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    It doesn't have the dimmers or am I missing something? I've read they can be in a temp. between 65 to 75 degrees at night, so I might not have to worry about a night time bulb.

Nationality
    [United States]

k
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    As opposed to the two separate fixtures, get a double light fixture such as a hood, or a cheaper double deep dome by zoo-med

Hood: 18" fluorescent hood fixture
    Double deep dome: Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp
    They don't make duel fixtures that have a dimmer switch to control light and heat output. In the end the cost would be the same. I reccomend the purchase of both bulbs and only one lamp with a dimmer switch and swap out the bulbs rather than changing lamps when it becomes dark. Also you save a little money buy just buying both bulbs and one lamp. For the day time bulb you can get an Exo Terra Sun-Glo tight beam and they also have a good infrared as well. Deep don't have a dimmer either and usualy produce too much heat. I purchased one and it is only good for fluorescent bulbs which you don't want to use for a heat problem because they don't produce suficient heat output and are too bright for Pacmans.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also you can't use fluorescent bulbs with lamps that have a dimmer switch only incandescent bulbs. Buy two seperate fixtures if you like but it is cheaper to just buy the two bulbs and swap them out from day to night. It is much easier to control the temps and light output with a lamp with a dimmer. You'll find that it really helps to control the enclosures climate.

R3N3G4D3

Do I need an infrared bulb for night? I set my heater set at 73 degrees, and I've read a temperature between 65 and 75 degrees at night is appropriate. Is that true? Should I purchase a night time bulb?

Exo Terra Day Glo Neodymium - Heating - Reptile - PetSmart
    Exo Terra A19 Night Glo Bulb - Lighting - Lighting - PetSmart

Are these bulbs you are recommending? Except at 50 watt, of course.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do I need an infrared bulb for night? I set my heater set at 73 degrees, and I've read a temperature between 65 and 75 degrees at night is appropriate. Is that true? Should I purchase a night time bulb?

Exo Terra Day Glo Neodymium - Heating - Reptile - PetSmart
    Exo Terra A19 Night Glo Bulb - Lighting - Lighting - PetSmart

Are these bulbs you are recommending? Except at 50 watt, of course.
    For a baby you must not go below 75 degrees at night just because they can handle it does not mean they should be put through it. To far of a temp drop can cause stress and make them stop eating. I reccomend that you buy the infrared if at night the temp drops below 75 in the enclosure. The bulb will not affect the night time cycle of your frog. Babys especially shouldn't have large temp drops at night. Best is only a drop of 2 to 3 degrees from the 80 degree daytime temp. They are capable of handling a lot but you must prevent as much stress as possible.

R3N3G4D3

For a baby you must not go below 75 degrees at night just because they can handle it does not mean they should be put through it. To far of a temp drop can cause stress and make them stop eating. I reccomend that you buy the infrared if at night the temp drops below 75 in the enclosure. The bulb will not affect the night time cycle of your frog. Babys especially shouldn't have large temp drops at night. Best is only a drop of 2 to 3 degrees from the 80 degree daytime temp. They are capable of handling a lot but you must prevent as much stress as possible.
    Alright, thanks a lot for the advice. Would you suggest the blue light I linked or the red infrared one?And, I'm going to follow your suggestion and buy one light fixture to rotate the bulbs in. Now, I just gotta find a place to keep the enclosure because the night light will keep my girlfriend up at night.. Decisions, decisions. And, the Sun Glo bulb I linked was the one you suggested, right?

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright, thanks a lot for the advice. Would you suggest the blue light I linked or the red infrared one?And, I'm going to follow your suggestion and buy one light fixture to rotate the bulbs in. Now, I just gotta find a place to keep the enclosure because the night light will keep my girlfriend up at night.. Decisions, decisions. And, the Sun Glo bulb I linked was the one you suggested, right?
    The Day Glo is a full spectrum light. They are warm but are bright. The Sun Glo has a tight concentrated beam that is warmer than the day glo and isn't as bright. Find the Sun Glo not the Day Glo. Go with the infrared bulb. They they don't produce a lot of light and aren't bright by no means. The infrared shouldn't keep her up at night.

R3N3G4D3

The Day Glo is a full spectrum light. They are warm but are bright. The Sun Glo has a tight concentrated beam that is warmer than the day glo and isn't as bright. Find the Sun Glo not the Day Glo. Go with the infrared bulb. They they don't produce a lot of light and aren't bright by no means. The infrared shouldn't keep her up at night.
    It says Sun Glo on the picture, but Day Glo on the title. Weird, haha. I'll have to check it out in store, and I'll go with the infrared. Thanks again for all your help, you've helped me become a good frog parent.

Nationality
    [United States]

It says Sun Glo on the picture, but Day Glo on the title. Weird, haha. I'll have to check it out in store, and I'll go with the infrared. Thanks again for all your help, you've helped me become a good frog parent.
    Thanks! We all learn from each other here. I certainly didn't know much when I first joined this forum, but I asked a lot of questions and paid attention to the answers. I just want these frogs to have long, happy, healthy lives. They are beautiful creatures and deserved to be taken care of and treasured by their froggie parents.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; October 22nd, 2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: bah, typing on phone.

R3N3G4D3

Thanks! We all learn from each other here. I certainly didn't know much when I first joined this forum, but I asked a lot of questions and paid attention to the answers. I just want these frogs to have long, happy, healthy lives. They are beautiful creatures and deserved to be taken care of and treasured by their froggie parents.
    I agree! Will be picking up the fixture and bulbs later today. On a side note, is it ok if the humidity rises to 90% on occasions? The new glass terrarium holds moisture way better than the XL plastic tote I used before, so I'm still adjusting to how much I have to mist. And, I use drinking water from the store - that's ok, right?

Sublime

Yeah It's completely fine if the humidity is 90%, better for more than not enough. Spring water is fine, but they do benefit from some of the minerals left in tap water after dechlornating. Plus it's just a lot cheaper to fill a water bowl or spray bottle with tap water and dechlorinate it.

Pick up a bottle of Reptisafe (Dechlorinates the water and adds calcium) and dechlorinate your tap water when you get home. You'll be good.

R3N3G4D3

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Yeah It's completely fine if the humidity is 90%, better for more than not enough. Spring water is fine, but they do benefit from some of the minerals left in tap water after dechlornating. Plus it's just a lot cheaper to fill a water bowl or spray bottle with tap water and dechlorinate it.

Pick up a bottle of Reptisafe (Dechlorinates the water and adds calcium) and dechlorinate your tap water when you get home. You'll be good.
    Interesting, I will pick some Repti-Safe when I go by the store for my lights. Thanks for the tip!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself Lol!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information