Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK...how big do Brazilian's really get?

Jcal

Default OK...how big do Brazilian's really get?

i have read and read so maybe i'm not looking in the right places. i have heard the legend of the 10inch frog, but i haven't seen any pictures. so how big do these things really get?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sublime

Default Re: ok...how big to brazilian's really get?

Reports of 9-10 inches in the wild; a large dinner plate. This is not a credible source though, so there's still more research to be done on these guys in their natural habitat.

Captive breeding reports, they started popping up a couple years ago in the US. FrogRanch and Phillipe's crew successfully bred these guys for the first time. I'm not sure if they have any updated information on these guys growth.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Look up the the Manchester Zoo in England. They have a 30 plus year old Pacman named Sumo. He looks to be this large. Closest frog to the legend that I can get for you.

Deejay Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Look up the the Manchester Zoo in England. They have a 30 plus year old Pacman named Sumo. He looks to be this large. Closest frog to the legend that I can get for you.
    Manchester zoo's ornate is big but its not the biggest. My big girl is bigger. I will upload some pics taken by me of the one at manchester zoo.

thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay Mayweather View Post
    Manchester zoo's ornate is big but its not the biggest. My big girl is bigger. I will upload some pics taken by me of the one at manchester zoo.

thanks
    Thanks. Maybe the guy that's holding Sumo is really small Lol! He looks wider than the guys head. I can't believe he's 30 years old.

Deejay Mayweather

Thanks. Maybe the guy that's holding Sumo is really small Lol! He looks wider than the guys head. I can't believe he's 30 years old.
    kool. hey dont get me wrong its huge but svl not bigger than mine, In width it may just hold the title its quite difficult to judge when hes behing a glass viv.
    His age is ltterally amazing it startled me for years even now. I would love to know what they feed it because they dont give it insects/rodents i asked the guy who cares for it but he kept it secret.

thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay Mayweather View Post
    kool. hey dont get me wrong its huge but svl not bigger than mine, In width it may just hold the title its quite difficult to judge when hes behing a glass viv.
    His age is ltterally amazing it startled me for years even now. I would love to know what they feed it because they dont give it insects/rodents i asked the guy who cares for it but he kept it secret.

thanks
    Yeah I don't see them giving up a secret like that so easily. Its probably a mixture of crude protein/fat/and vitamines pact into a compact food source. Maybe even fed worms. Or some other invertebrates. I really couldn't determine what they could be feeding that big guy. Maybe its a food source like that Pacman food made by Samurai Japan.

Jcal

Thanks guys. Its sound like the ornates still have the crown for biggest pacman. Ill save my 300+ and skip the brazilian.

Eel Noob

Are there any pictures or links of Sumo on the web?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Are there any pictures or links of Sumo on the web?
    I stumbled upon it on accident. I was looking at images of pacmans on google images and that was one of the sites. I don't remember the link though. The tital of the article was something like "frog shows no sign of croaking." You should be able to find it.

Eel Noob

I stumbled upon it on accident. I was looking at images of pacmans on google images and that was one of the sites. I don't remember the link though. The tital of the article was something like "frog shows no sign of croaking." You should be able to find it.
    Thanks

Jcal

I had a hard time finding it but if i do i will post the link

EpicFrogMan

they get like 5 to 6 inches MAX. Very overated is the Aurita.

Eel Noob

Wow Sumo is AMAZING!!!

Found the link
    Return of Sumo, the giant frog who shows no sign of croaking | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

Jcal

Quote Originally Posted by EpicFrogMan View Post
    they get like 5 to 6 inches MAX. Very overated is the Aurita.
    Thanks. This is the info i was going after. And what i secretly suspected.

Jcal

Thanks noob!

Nationality
    [United States]

You're welcome. I was amazed myself. I can only strive to take such good care of my Paxs like that zoo has.

Sublime

Yeah I came across an article on Sumo awhile ago browsing the internet for pacmans. I can't believe the guy is being stubborn and not sharing his diet. I mean I could see if it were something like how to breed them, but diet... Really? Maybe I should respect his experience and credibility a little more. Just a little annoying that he can't share some factual information that has been proven to keep frog hobbyists pacmans alive a lot longer for enjoyment.

I'm sure also taken into consideration, even if some other people had their pacmans on his 'secretive' diet... They wouldn't live 30 years, this is just one exception of a strong healthy pacman. Truly amazed how long this frog has been living, doesn't seem possible.

@Grif I'm sure it's a formulated blend they made that has been tested for years with the animals they're keeping. Obviously a lot substantially more nutritional than Pacman Food sold by Samurai Japan. You're right on point though talking about a varied compact food source, excluding fat. There would be a minuscule amount of fat in their diet anyways.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Yeah I came across an article on Sumo awhile ago browsing the internet for pacmans. I can't believe the guy is being stubborn and not sharing his diet. I mean I could see if it were something like how to breed them, but diet... Really? Maybe I should respect his experience and credibility a little more. Just a little annoying that he can't share some factual information that has been proven to keep frog hobbyists pacmans alive a lot longer for enjoyment.

I'm sure also taken into consideration, even if some other people had their pacmans on his 'secretive' diet... They wouldn't live 30 years, this is just one exception of a strong healthy pacman. Truly amazed how long this frog has been living, doesn't seem possible.

@Grif I'm sure it's a formulated blend they made that has been tested for years with the animals they're keeping. Obviously a lot substantially more nutritional than Pacman Food sold by Samurai Japan. You're right on point though talking about a varied compact food source, excluding fat. There would be a minuscule amount of fat in their diet anyways.
    I'm not angry that the man doesn't share his recipe. I'm come on how many families have secret recipes for chili/pies/and cookies that they won't share Lol! I respect the man as well. He abviously had some help though. I'm sure this food source was tested in a lab and definetly has little fat judging by how unobese Sumo is.

Capojames

There great frogs and worth the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information