Thread: Hyla Versicolor care

Harry

Default Hyla Versicolor care

I've read the excellent faq on keeping tree frogs that is posted on this site.

I have never kept a frog, but just took in an H. Versicolor from my deck outside. I have some questions...

IMMEDIATE NEEDS
    Is there something that I should do immediately for him? For example, the faq refers to getting rid of parasites. I have several pet cats. Is he likely to carry any organisms that could pose a threat to their health? Right now, he is in a box with leaves on the bottom. I have misted him with warm water twice.

HABITAT
    I have an empty fish tank, about 20 inches wide, 12" high, and 10" deep. I am hoping to use this as a habitat.

Since this is a local frog, is it still preferable to purchase top soil rather then use some from the environment he came from?

If I purchase top soil, the faq refers to building up helpful bacteria- is something supposed to be done to facilitate this? Does the soil need to be changed periodically?

FOOD
    What are my options here? I don't relish putting bugs or mealworms in my refrigerator. It is cold outside, no moths have come to my outdoor light. He is about the size of a half walnut shell.

Will he eat only live food? I feel like I'm getting in over my head with this little guy, but don't want to put him back out again.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Harry

PS If you live on Long Island and would like to adopt him, drop me a note...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hyla Versicolor care

Unless your cats are eating his feces then it's highly unlikely he'll be able to transmit anything to them.

The tank is a little short in height - they like tall tanks, but it would do the job.

Substrate - I don't see why you couldn't use local soil, provided it is free of insecticides and herbicides.

Bacteria wise, it's a naturally occurring process. You don't have to do anything.

The soil should be spot cleaned for feces regularly, and in a small terrarium I would clean out at least half of it every 3 or 4 months.

Food wise, and please don't take this the wrong way, but if you aren't prepared to provide the appropriate foods (as you seem to indicate), then you should probably let the frog go. Insects are a fact of life when looking after frogs. In the winter time you'll have no choice but to purchase and store live insects in order to feed your pet frog so either get used to the idea or please let the little guy go again.

Yes, he will only eat live food.

Why adopt him to someone? Just let him go near where you found him.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Harry

Hi John,

I do very much appreciate your insights and taking the time to share them. When this frog returned after I took him a long distance away and released him, I felt a sense of responsibility. Seeing him climb up again onto my deck and just collapse there in the middle of the day moved me to try and do what I could for him. Also, at this time of the year, I thought that his chances outside of building back up his energy stores for winter, and of finding a good place to winter over would be poor.

I have been feeding him waxworms and crickets, and currently have him in a 10 gallon tank. I am doing my best for him.

At the same time, I have thought that someone from this forum might be in a better position to care for him.

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Seeing him climb up again onto my deck and just collapse there in the middle of the day moved me to try and do what I could for him.
    What do you mean by collapse? Was it visibly unwell or injured?

It's great that you want the best for the little frog, but keep in mind that they generally know what they are doing. Unless it was in some sort of distress or trapped in something it should have no problems finding shelter on it's own when the weather conditions tell it to.

Best of luck in any case

Thread Information