Thread: Zilla Terrarium Liner

ScumBum

Default Zilla Terrarium Liner

What do you guys think about the Zilla Terrarium Liner ? The local pet store recommended it . I found this chart online that says its good for Toads . http://www.zilla-rules.com/assets/003/9123.pdf

I've tried EcoEarth , but it sticks to the toads , gets in their water and when they tried to eat a cricket they get a mouth full of EcoEarth . Then I tried the FrogMoss , Live Moss , and its nice but the crickets hide in it . One of my Toads is a good hunter and can find the crickets but the other two aren't that smart , so I'd have a bunch of crickets living in the tank .

I might go back to my old setup , which is a floating Island and the tank half full of water with a filter . What setup up do you think the toads would like better , Terrarium Liner or Floating Island set up ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: Zilla Terrarium Liner

I love the look of the island, looks very cool...the liner just looks....plain. lol.

ApxWingman

I have to agree the liner looks blah...the island looks much better. I would add some rocks at the bottom of the tank to give it more of a natural environment

ScumBum

Thanks for the feedback . I had the water , Island setup , then saw an episode of Pet Keeping with Marc Morrone and he said frogs like lots of water and toads like more land , so use the Live Moss . So thats why I changed it . I might go back to the Island setup . Anyone have tips on spot cleaning the Liner ? The toads have found a spot they like to poop and its getting smashed into the liner .

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
    What do you guys think about the Zilla Terrarium Liner ? The local pet store recommended it . I found this chart online that says its good for Toads . http://www.zilla-rules.com/assets/003/9123.pdf

I've tried EcoEarth , but it sticks to the toads , gets in their water and when they tried to eat a cricket they get a mouth full of EcoEarth . Then I tried the FrogMoss , Live Moss , and its nice but the crickets hide in it . One of my Toads is a good hunter and can find the crickets but the other two aren't that smart , so I'd have a bunch of crickets living in the tank .

I might go back to my old setup , which is a floating Island and the tank half full of water with a filter . What setup up do you think the toads would like better , Terrarium Liner or Floating Island set up ?
    neither. you've gone from one extreme to the other!!. plan on doing something in between and you may have something more desirable for them to inhabit.

Badger

Contrary to popular belief, a fire bellied toad, is actually a species of frog. Best FBT setup is 2/3 water 1/3 land.

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, a fire bellied toad, is actually a species of frog. Best FBT setup is 2/3 water 1/3 land.
    is this based on how they actually behave in the wild or how your setup is done? research shown me to find they spend a considerable amount of time land based. the setup i built reflected this, so made their enviroment a 50/50 ratio so as to please them either way. result from the project shows that in the 16 months this setup has been utilised they spend approx' 80% of the time in the "woodland". p.s. the pool area was given a larger volume of water area after a refurbish but the same % prevails. it's the reason i always suggest this ratio to others but by no means a rule of course. again with this ratio, as i've pointed out before, is that the demeanor of the frog/toads will dictate what they prefer from the setup they are in, like you will find one will prefer being aquatic mostly, on terra firma or may like both situations, so by being 50/50 you please each and every toad. IMO anyway
    nic

ScumBum

Quote Originally Posted by s6t6nic6l View Post
    is this based on how they actually behave in the wild or how your setup is done? research shown me to find they spend a considerable amount of time land based. the setup i built reflected this, so made their enviroment a 50/50 ratio so as to please them either way. result from the project shows that in the 16 months this setup has been utilised they spend approx' 80% of the time in the "woodland". p.s. the pool area was given a larger volume of water area after a refurbish but the same % prevails. it's the reason i always suggest this ratio to others but by no means a rule of course. again with this ratio, as i've pointed out before, is that the demeanor of the frog/toads will dictate what they prefer from the setup they are in, like you will find one will prefer being aquatic mostly, on terra firma or may like both situations, so by being 50/50 you please each and every toad. IMO anyway
    nic
    Do you have problems with crickets hiding in your woodland area and the toads not finding them ?

I have an idea for a different setup with my tank . I'll post pics when I change it around .

Badger

I personally do not keep FBT's, but this seems to be the general consensus as far as I've found.

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
    Do you have problems with crickets hiding in your woodland area and the toads not finding them ?

I have an idea for a different setup with my tank . I'll post pics when I change it around .
    no. i actually built the setup this way also to prevent cricket escape(all build details in my sig) so as to let the toads eat as and when the need arises. i find it more natural too this way for them. the trouble with the mostly aquatic setups is you lose to many thru drowning or you end up with lazy toads due to being "pampered" by hand feeding. the pool is even a safe place for crickets too as there are plants, a vine and the bank of the pool helps prevent them from drowning.

yeah, any pics of FBT setups always nice to see, however they're built

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My firebellies had about a 40% land to 60% water ratio and most definitely spent more time in the water. They especially liked when I added water plants and used to sit in them all of the time .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I personally do not keep FBT's, but this seems to be the general consensus as far as I've found.
    well that's it then, sorted. thanks.

ScumBum

Quote Originally Posted by s6t6nic6l View Post
    no. i actually built the setup this way also to prevent cricket escape(all build details in my sig) so as to let the toads eat as and when the need arises. i find it more natural too this way for them. the trouble with the mostly aquatic setups is you lose to many thru drowning or you end up with lazy toads due to being "pampered" by hand feeding. the pool is even a safe place for crickets too as there are plants, a vine and the bank of the pool helps prevent them from drowning.

yeah, any pics of FBT setups always nice to see, however they're built

I went back to the island setup , but got a really big cork island so they have more land .
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Thread Information