Thread: A lil help and info needed guys!!!

Deejay Mayweather

Default A lil help and info needed guys!!!

Ok so as most of you know i recently added a ceratophrys cranwelli to my collection and about 5mins ago when feeding with zoo med plastic forceps he latched onto them and now in a result of that his lower lip is split slightly and sticks out abit. Have any of you had this problem before? Is it curable? Will it heal itself?

Thanks in advance.

Ps; pics soon to follow

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

Default Re: A lil help and info needed guys!!!

Soory to hear that! Hope it heals on it's own!

That's the reason I never liked using forceps. You could try wrapping them in plactic, or medial tape, this would make them softer, and it wouldn't be able to cut itself on them.

Sublime

Well I would get some Neosporin (No painkiller) to apply it to the cut with a Q-tip to avoid any possible infections. It will heal, although it will leave a scar on his or her bottom lip. Royce makes a good point about wrapping the ends of the forceps in some tape with a few layers. Some electrical tape or gorilla tape would work.

If you don't want to do a homemade 'soft coated' feeding tongs, pick up these:

Exo Terra : Tongs / Feeding Tool

Other than that, you just have to let him or her heal on their own. Try keeping your Cranwelli on a earthworms (e.g. night crawlers) for awhile while his or her mouth is still recovering from the split. That way it's not like trying to crunch down on something that has an exoskeleton like a cricket, roach, and superworm.

Hope your Cranwelli recovers fine, sorry about that.

dsmalex97

This happens to me almost every time I feed my ornate... He doesn't split his lip, but he's like a little pit bull! He lunges and grabs the forceps too! I'm going to get medical tape right now and cover them up. Sorry to hear about your little one, hope he gets better soon! Best of luck!

IvoryReptiles

We have a male Ornate that we tried to pair up with our largest female C. cranwelli to attempt getting the ever desired Orwells......she was NOT amused and in a flash of the eye, she grabbed his face & broke his jaw as he struggled to get away. That was 3 months ago.........we were very worried it would not heal. He has a scar, but it did heal and he eats just fine. We were told not to use Neosporin just to make sure his water was cleaned often.

We wish you the same luck with this. We do use tongs to feed, and they almost always bite the tongs as well as the food. But we have not had any injuries due to it yet.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your frog recovers soon! We use rubber tipped forcepts and they work great. We used to use the plain metal ones,but I was always worried that one of the frog might injure themselves due to their aggressive eating habbits.

@ Jessica, what does an Orwell look like? I'm not familar with that cross-breed. Will you post a picture please?

Sidius

This is what I use Amazon.com: Tom Aquatic Gardner Medium 20in: Kitchen & Dining

I don't use them to feed crickets or smaller foods, just a little larger items like fish/superworms/nightcrawlers etc... they are longer than normal tongs and haven't had an issue using them. I'm sure a lot of people have their own "special tool" for feedings though, just thought I'd share. Hope your little guy heals up quickly.

Poly

When you feed with tong/forceps you have to make sure that the flat, smooth end is facing towards their upper and bottom lip, and the narrow end is facing the sides of their face, this way, even if they bite the tongs, they won't be able to split their lip.

Deejay Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Well I would get some Neosporin (No painkiller) to apply it to the cut with a Q-tip to avoid any possible infections. It will heal, although it will leave a scar on his or her bottom lip. Royce makes a good point about wrapping the ends of the forceps in some tape with a few layers. Some electrical tape or gorilla tape would work.

If you don't want to do a homemade 'soft coated' feeding tongs, pick up these:

Exo Terra : Tongs / Feeding Tool

Other than that, you just have to let him or her heal on their own. Try keeping your Cranwelli on a earthworms (e.g. night crawlers) for awhile while his or her mouth is still recovering from the split. That way it's not like trying to crunch down on something that has an exoskeleton like a cricket, roach, and superworm.

Hope your Cranwelli recovers fine, sorry about that.
    Thanks for the info and kind words guys and gyals or should i say jessica...lol.
    Went and got myself a pair of them exo terra's.

thanks

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

All things considered, that's a pretty minor wound. I would do as Jessica suggests - just keep the water clean and let it heal on its own. Frogs get injured regularly in the wild. They are built to survive things you and I wouldn't.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information