Thread: Details on vivarium plant selection?

rosaphile

Default Details on vivarium plant selection?

Hey guys, can you direct me to any good specific guidance on plant selection for vivariums? Ideally I'd love to see lots of examples of vivariums with good photos and all the plants labeled. Maybe I should go look at the local library, I'm pretty sure hey have at least one big vivarium book.... Just was wondering if there are any websites out there that will give me detailed info on plant selection and care.

ETA: Hmm, no sooner did I post this than someone mentioned Black Jungle and they seem to have really nice selection and recommendations. I'd still be happy to know of any other sites you love!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Details on vivarium plant selection?

Josh's frogs has a good selection too. Frankly there aren't many (any?) frog-specific web sites when it comes to plants. You sort of have to filter through forums like this one or dendroboard. For what it's worth, it's been playing on my mind for a long time that an article needs to be written on this topic. Having said that, I don't think I'm the one to write it because despite my constantly growing knowledge of tropical plants, I don't consider myself an expert on them.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Badger

Black jungle/ Josh's are the only ones I know of but Some nice plants to look for are any bromelaids, snake plants, and pothos.

rosaphile

Thanks, guys.

Lady medusa

I actually look up the species of plants specifically and sometimes its cheaper to find certain species at home depot or lowes honestly BUT make sure to was out all the soil in the potted plants before transplanting them. I actually like to use exotic angel brand plants and most of their care info on the tags it pretty similar to what they would need in a vivarium. Personally the plant species ilike to use is pothos, philodendron( the vine not the orchid), plumosa fern, traditional medium light ferns, money wart, and arrowhead. Lately ive ventured into using purple passion, silver tree, and draceana species but i cant yet tell you how easy they are to care for.

rosaphile

Thanks! I will definitely check those out!

I also found that we still have a book out from the library (overdue, oops! I better renew):
    http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Encycl...9506445&sr=8-1

The reviews make it sound underwhelming, but it might have some good info for a newbie like me. We got it originally just to look at frog species.

Badger

I actually have the same book out of the library now...It's ok, some info is off, but it is mainly geared for REEAAALL noobs. Most of the care articles are off though. They claim that White's need a basking lamp...Big no-no. lol. Haven't looked at plants yet though

rosaphile

This book is pretty much useless for plant selection. Darn. I was hoping it would have *something*. I'll have to see if I can find a better one.

Badger

New England Herpetoculture has a decent plant selection, you should check out their site. New England Herpetoculture - Home

rosaphile

Thanks, will do!

Thread Information