Thread: Is it because he is a baby?

heeyyparis

Default Is it because he is a baby?

Since he has been in his new home for a few days now, Thor moves around a little more. and I noticed that he is kind of hesitant, and a little wobbly, and he can only jump maybe a half an inch, and even then he lands awkwardly - most of the time when he is trying to jump on the vines he finds himself on the ground. he isnt abnormally skinny, and he doesnt look sick. his skin is beautiful.
    Im probably just over-thinking it, but he's my baby so im allowed to
    Is this normal for a baby? when i say baby, i mean baby. he is a red eyed tree frog- and barely the size of a guitar pick.
    Name:  013.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  70.8 KB
    Name:  026.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  38.3 KB
    The first picture is just to show how tiny he is - but ofcourse since he was sleeping he was all curled up, he is slightly bigger when he's all stretched out! -i also see him trying to kick the dirt off his skin, i keep the dirt really moist so im not sure what to do in order to prevent him from getting irritated with it. ground cover with moss maybe? but then he will lose his food? advice on this too would be awesome.
    The second picture is just of him on the ground, after trying to jump to his plant to sleep.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Do you have a picture of his home? They move well when traveling branch to branch or plant to plant. Perhaps he would like more plants?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

heeyyparis

Default Re: Is it because he is a baby?

i have only one plant in there right now, because i was told that if the tank is full of plants he will have a hard time finding his food since he is so little- as is his food.
    but i would definately love putting those other plants in there - unless it does in fact make it difficult for him.
    the main vine is to the right, but i have smaller ones going through the entire thing, and the plant is going into the vines because i thought it would make it easier for him to get into it. and the vines also go down to the ground so he can get up onto them when he finds himself on the ground.

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  74.8 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

He's beautiful!

Well, does he eat well for you and poop? He looks fine. The substrate will stick to him just because he is moist and sticky. They usually cling to the glass, branches, or plants. It's a lot of surface area for the little guy with lots of substrate. I'm guessing that's the only reason. Maybe try just one more plant. Preferably one with leaves large enough for him to rest on. I betcha he'll climb up and sleep on it. They are not really walkers or hoppers along the ground. They more like fling from branch to branch or plant. With the substrate stuck to his feet it may be tough. I'm not positive though.

When I got my RETF Stickers she spent a lot of time on the lower rocks and low plants. A few friends here advised me to add branches a plants and she's rarely on the ground anymore . My new baby does the same.

My little baby's tank is just a 10 gal with moist paper towel bottom, one plant on the ground, and one vine and plant along the glass wall. She spends most of her time sleeping on the ground plant leaves or in the corners of the glass.

I hope someone else will post for you and offer some advice or help.

Good luck! Keep us posted . And congrats on the beautiful frog!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

heeyyparis

Thank you! i will put the live plant in his home tomorrow and post a picture of it! and i cant really tell if he is eating or going potty much, but he has food available to him always. i put fruit flies in there and apparently way too many because there were at least fifteen that found themselves in a water dish. anyways, tomorrow ill check out the scene for some tiny little thor droppings! im sure he has been eating though, he has to be hungry with all the exploring he's done. every morning so far ive found him in a different corner of the tank!
    and thanks, i think he is beautiful too

Nationality
    [United States]

You're welcome . P.S. Stick a little piece of fruit in there that's too big for Thor to swallow. The fruit flies will quit drowning themselves . Mine did that too .

heeyyparis

thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Any time

Thread Information