Thread: My frog past away about 3 weeks ago..

2oh1

Default My frog past away about 3 weeks ago..

reason unknown but i thought something was wrong with him even before i bought him...he wasn't aggressive during eating, barely buried, and was barely eating. in the pet store they said he was there for a while so i guess that was my fault for choosing him, but any who i got a new albino pacman, lil guy was basically the size of a quarter, i put him in a ten gallon right away and he settled down quick buried himself as soon as he got in. he has a mini uth and a 100 watt light bulb, no uvb and what not. only problem I'm having is keeping the humidity up because i don't want to get a large bowl in case he can't get out of it but i guess ill have to figure out how to solve that. heres some pictures Name:  IMG_20111017_162933.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  45.1 KBName:  IMG_20111017_163131.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  47.9 KBName:  IMG_20111017_171246.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  12.9 KBName:  IMG_20111017_232314.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  15.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sublime

Default Re: my frog past away about 3 weeks ago..

Yeah, unfortunately you need to carefully examine frogs sold in pet stores to make sure they aren't already displaying symptoms of being weak and sick. Sorry for your loss. Dude 100 watt bulb is way too intense for a 10 gallon; 45-50 watt is plenty for a 10 gallon. Just buy a spray bottle and fill it with dechlorinated water to spray the sides and dirt for getting to the humidity level required for these guys.

Achieving high humidity by just leaving a water bowl set in there isn't going to get a lot of moisture in the air. That's cool you picked up a new one and is healthy; hopefully you have a better experience with this one. Since these guys don't require large water bowls, it's not necessary. Most importantly is to buy one that is shallow or fill enough water to where it sits right under their throat. You can buy a large bowl, just make sure it's shallow.

IvoryReptiles

Get rid of the light!!!!! They are nocturnal and the albinos are sensitive to the lights, they can burn from them.
    I use peanut butter jar lids for soaking dishes with just enough water to hit the bottom lip of the frog so it doesn't drown.
    What are you feeding it & how often? Are you making sure to use ONLY de-chlorinated water in it's enclosure & soaking dish??
    you can use saran wrap on the screen lid to cover 3/4 of the lid to keep the moisture in and help with the humidity levels.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

1. Make sure you are using dechlorinated water. You had mentioned previously that you thought your frog was showing signs of toxing out. Using non-treated water is the most common cause of that.

2. 100 watts is much too high. You shouldn't go above 50. The heat and light can damage your frog's skin and eyes. The high wattage will also burn off the humidity much faster. Another way way to keep the humidity up is to cover approximately 2/3 of the vented area with a damp towel or something similar.

3. Sometimes such a large tank can be overwhelming for a small, young frog. Not necessarily, it varies by frog. It helps to have a few plants to shade them and for them to hide under. Your pictures are too dark to tell if you have that. Also, covering the back and sides of the tank can limit visual distraction and make the frog feel more secure.

4. Stick with a small water bowl for now. Pacmans are not the best swimmers. The water should not go above their nose when they are sitting in the water.

Best of luck. Take care of the little guy/girl!

Sidius

Losing a pet is always hard. I see moss in that photo, and that's what I used to use, humidity stayed around 70-80%. However after following some advise from others on these forums I switched to eco earth, and my humidity jumped up to about 85-90%, seems to hold moisture a lot better. As far as water, I just keep a few gallons of spring water on hand from my grocery store, just read the label first and don't make the mistake I did and accidentally get distilled water as I've read it will hurt your frog by leeching out all the minerals in your frog.

2oh1

its cold in my house even with the 100 watt and the ugh the cage has trouble getting to 80 degrees i tried a 50 and the temp wouldn't go higher then 70 as for the large tank he fit in great right now he's completely buried somewhere don't no exactly where and yes I'm using tap water but dechlorinated it with aqua safe. i just got him yesterday put in 3 crickets diddnt eat them I'm guessing he's just not use to the cage yet and the moss was what he came with cage is all eco earth.

IvoryReptiles

Quote Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
    its cold in my house even with the 100 watt and the ugh the cage has trouble getting to 80 degrees i tried a 50 and the temp wouldn't go higher then 70 as for the large tank he fit in great right now he's completely buried somewhere don't no exactly where and yes I'm using tap water but dechlorinated it with aqua safe. i just got him yesterday put in 3 crickets diddnt eat them I'm guessing he's just not use to the cage yet and the moss was what he came with cage is all eco earth.
    What you need is a larger UTH if it isn't heating properly....and place it on the side of the tank, NOT on the bottom! Again.....GET RID OF THE LIGHT! It is TOO strong. If you MUST have a light, use a blue or red night light. They are NOCTURNAL animals and spend their days burrowed in substrate to avoid the sun. As stated previously, the albinos are particularly sensitive to it.
    My opinion is that the aquarium is too large for such a small frog. Move him into a smaller enclosure until he grows a bit. Try variety in his diet......red wigglers, bits of night crawler, Dubia Roaches(small), baby Mollys or Guppies. Make sure the foods you offer are the appropriate size for him. If you insist on continuing to use the light, do not use it directly on the enclosure....place it so it is near enough to emit heat, but the light is in-direct to the enclosure. If your house is so cold, perhaps you should re-think your choice in a pet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sometimes they won't eat if its to cold or not the correct humidity. Break the hind legs off the crickets so they are easier for your frog to catch. Get rid of the moss and use only Eco Earth coco fiber or Top soil. Buy a lamp that has a dimmer switch and buy a 50 watt basking spot light that has a tight beam. Even as a 50 watt this light bulb with a concentrated beam will raise the temps in your tank where they are needed. They are not too bright either just make sure you have some sort of fake plant for the frog to hide from the light as the beam will burn an albino if its turned up too hight. Place the plant under where the beam comes down onto the substrate. Exo Terra and Zoo Med make these bulbs and they work great. Make sure you dust the frogs food with calcium dust with D3 and use a multivitamin dust. Calcium every other feeding multivitamin once a week. Try a variety of foods as babies and juviniles need to be fed daily. Keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

On second thought I agree with Jessica. Forget the basking light I told you about and use the night time blue or an infrared bulb. Its much safer. You could also buy a ceramic heat emmiter. These are all safer for albinos. Jessica breeds these frogs so if I were you id listen to her.

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    On second thought I agree with Jessica. Forget the basking light I told you about and use the night time blue or an infrared bulb. Its much safer. You could also buy a ceramic heat emmiter. These are all safer for albinos. Jessica breeds these frogs so if I were you id listen to her.
    the light is a night light

Nationality
    [United States]

the light is a night light
    Infrared or Moonlight Blue? You didn't specify whether it was a night time bulb until now. 100 watts is still way to high. 50 is the limit for Pacmans. Maybe you should try a ceramic heat emitter. They have no light but do produce a lot of heat. You do need a larger UTH as well. One sized for a 10 gallon tank and make sure you put on the side of the tank opposite the water dish when you get a shallow water dish. They need a temp gradient.

2oh1

its a moonlight its not even bright thats why I'm not really worried about the lighting u could barely notice its on and as for the heat the frog buries in the middle the temperature in the hot side is about 87 degrees so I'm pretty sure he's not getting burned but then again i could be wrong so I'm just going to go to the pet store and get a 50 watt light bulb i guess

Nationality
    [United States]

its a moonlight its not even bright thats why I'm not really worried about the lighting u could barely notice its on and as for the heat the frog buries in the middle the temperature in the hot side is about 87 degrees so I'm pretty sure he's not getting burned but then again i could be wrong so I'm just going to go to the pet store and get a 50 watt light bulb i guess
    87 is WAAAAAYYYYY to high. 80 to 85 day time. 75 to 79 night. Try a larger heating pad for a 10 gallon tank too. It should compensate for the lesser light bulb.

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    87 is WAAAAAYYYYY to high. 80 to 85 day time. 75 to 79 night. Try a larger heating pad for a 10 gallon tank too. It should compensate for the lesser light bulb.

87 is the hot side nd today it was 70 degrees outside during the night I switch to my 75 Watt moonlight bulb nd just leave the pad on keeps it at about 70 75 degrees

Nationality
    [United States]

87 is the hot side nd today it was 70 degrees outside during the night I switch to my 75 Watt moonlight bulb nd just leave the pad on keeps it at about 70 75 degrees
    Purchase a 50 watt and a larger heating pad. You'll find that these combined will keep teps more adiquitly.

BG

Another pacman bit the dust .Sorry to say, you cooked your pacman.You had your setup all wrong. Thats why you had and don't have. Where did you get your care sheet from. Hopefully next time you get it right. I see 4 things wrong with your info.! tank too big.2 light tooooooo strong.3I'm afraid to ask where you had your uth. 4 no humidity. Thats a setup more for a beardie. Sorry to tell you there was nothing wrong with your pacman and if it was you made him wurst for him.

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Another pacman bit the dust .Sorry to say, you cooked your pacman.You had your setup all wrong. Thats why you had and don't have. Where did you get your care sheet from. Hopefully next time you get it right. I see 4 things wrong with your info.! tank too big.2 light tooooooo strong.3I'm afraid to ask where you had your uth. 4 no humidity. Thats a setup more for a beardie. Sorry to tell you there was nothing wrong with your pacman and if it was you made him wurst for him.
    the last frog that i had died wasn't with this set up he had the heating pad a smaller tank and the humidity was always high right now the humidity has been perfect same for the temperature i get paid thursday thats when ill buy myself a 50 watt and a larger uth and see how that works out this lil albino is still alive and I'm hoping to keep him that way hence why I'm switching the light bulb and the uth as for the size of the tank i honestly don't think he minds he jumps around and buries all day

BG

@oh1,Thank god ,you had me there for a minute. Dont use the light. Be careful you dont get a oversized uth for your tank. Install it on the side of tank.OK.

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    @oh1,Thank god ,you had me there for a minute. Dont use the light. Be careful you dont get a oversized uth for your tank. Install it on the side of tank.OK.
    ATM I have the small 5-10 gallon Ithaca I guess ill bump it up to the next size get a 50 Watt blue day bulb nd I'm thinking about getting a regular 25 or 50 Watt black light bulb for the night

Thread Information