Thread: Frog/Toad Id help

sebastianbawn

Default Frog/Toad Id help

Hi,
    I was hoping someone may be able to ID my critters for me. Any help would be great
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Frog/Toad Id help

1. Agalychnis callydrias, red-eyed leaf frog
    2. Bufo marinus, marine or cane toad
    3. Litoria caerulea, White's treefrog
    4. Its awfull familiar, but I can't quite place it. I will have to mull it over and get back to you. I am thinking it might by a Litoria species, but I am not sure at all.
    5. Mantella aurantiaca, golden mantella

sebastianbawn

Hi,
    Thanks again Kurt, was just wondering on the one you were unsure, possibly phrynohyas venulosa? I dont know a great deal about frogs so just a guess

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianbawn View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks again Kurt, was just wondering on the one you were unsure, possibly Phrynohyas venulosa?
    Thats what I thought at first, but after looking at pics of Trachycephalus venulosus (the new name) I thought differently. I thinking Litoria or maybe a Rhacophoridid.

sebastianbawn

Pic 2 was labelled at the wildlife place as a Curu Toad. I probably havent got exactly the right name but it was something like that, thats what stopped me labelling it as a Cane Toad

Kurt

I looked for Curu toad and only found a web site on eco-tourism in Costa Rica. Oddly enough the marine toad is a native of Costa Rica, so it is possible they are one in the same.

sebastianbawn

Wow thats interesting to know. Thanks Kurt, you are always a help

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Originally I was going to call 4 Phrynohyas resinifactrix (or a similar species) but given how uncommon they are in the trade and after looking at the picture some more i'm thinking that it is actually Litoria infrarenta (White Lipped Tree Frog)

sebastianbawn

Thanks Tylo. I thougt the wite lip would be quite a giveaway but its not as asy to identify as I thought! will check out your thougts though, thanks

Kurt

I have to disagree, I have kept a few Litoria infrafrenata and this little guy doesn't really look much like one.

Kurt

I just tried to post a picture of my most recent L. infrafrenata, but it doesn't seem to have taken. The pic can be see in my photo album in my profile.
    Last edited by Kurt; January 27th, 2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: more info needed

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

After scouring AmphibaWeb I have opted to agree with Kurt. Most like not Litoria, although I have seen some very similar White Lippeds. Given that 2 of the other 4 are Costa Rican, i'll assume that this one could be also, in which case it is probably Phrynohyas (=Trachycephalus) venulosa (us). This species is highly variable in its appearances so it wouldn't surprise me if it was at all. I would again like to express my dislike of all these name changes, but thats just me.

14. This member thanks tylototriton for this post:

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by tylototriton View Post
    I would again like to express my dislike of all these name changes, but thats just me.
    Tell me about it. I am writing a book on the subject and its a lot of work to keep up with it. I know that as soon as I am finished with it, I will have to go back and rewrite it.

wesleybrouwer

I know it is an awfully old topic, but it is indeed Trachycephalus venulosus
    Just came past it searching trough old topics here

Thread Information