Thread: Roaches as a General Topic?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Roaches as a General Topic?

Hey guys,

I think sublime may have said this before, so if I do appear that I am stealing his idea, trust me I am not. But what would you guys think of having Roaches as a forum topic under General Topics? There we could place stickies and caresheets for them as well. Since there are so many species of roaches, and they can be eaten by so many species of frogs, what do you guys think??? It seems that if you look in the feeders section, it just appears that over half is about Roaches. I guess what I am trying to do is to see if this is a good idea. Please feel free to talk about the negatives that this includes as well. I was going to message John, but I feel that this idea must be polished a little first. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sublime

Default Re: Roaches as a General Topic?

Yeah, this would most likely go under this section as a sub section if it were approved by John. We have a strong source of information coming from Jeff and are dwindling information. Could grab people's interest over crickets and start a market for these guys on this forum. Would just be another great contribution to this forum to help people being introduced to the benefits of these feeders. A great idea nonetheless, just not sure if John will consider it or not.

Nationality
    [United States]

Exactly, and even the fact that Jeff is linking people over here is a great thing. It would kinda be like a library, and sort of be like a nice little sub-forum or something. Any other ideas, or thoughts?

Nationality
    [United States]

Subliminal messages don't work; so I'm just throwing them out there for the world to see

In all seriousness though; I'm not sure a specific subforum is really required for these guys in the Feeder section. While its true that roaches are a prime subject to discuss, there are still plenty of questions going around about fruit flies, earthworms, crickets, etc etc. A sub-forum would be nice, but I feel like it would result in sub-forums being made for many of ther other feeder options out there. Not saying I'm against the idea (I'm a roach enthusiast, afterall!) but perhaps it might be a better option down the road a bit... if things keep going the way they have been and roach topics are always at the top of the list, it might be nice from an organizational standpoint to have their own forum, but for the time being I don't think its a requirement. Mods can always move roach topics into a sub forum later after its made to keep everything "on file." But thats just my humble opinion =D

I'm down to talk roaches whenever no matter what happens, I plan on sticking around here. Not only can I continue to convert others into my roachie cult [soo excited to see others having interest in these] - but I'm actually developing slight interests toward amphibians after reading some stuff on here. Never thought my collection interests would expand past snakes and lizards... but some of the the frogs I'm seeing are just too cool!
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

Sublime

Subliminal messages work on me! Haha.

Yeah, that's a good point. While it seems that roach discussion have grabbed some people's interest on this forum and has been discussed slightly more lately... Not everyone will particularly like them and will want their own sub forum for discussion on other feeders. I mean more likely than not our discussions will stay at the top of the feeder section for the time being so it's a good step so far. You could just create sub sections for the 'families' of feeder invertebrates like - roach family, cricket family, worm family. Maybe an additional vertebrate sub forum for rodents, etc. Would narrow it down to like 3-4 sub sections and you would get to know everyone that hangs out in that section. My opinion differs a little bit from yours; I think it is required to have a section for these guys. However, I do understand that it will take some time deciding whether or not to make sub sections for all the other feeders on top of it and moving all those threads into there. That could take some time...

It's good to know that you're going to stick around here because your like the strong foundation of roach discussion as of now on here, lol. Without you I mean we mine as well call it a day. It's comforting knowing I can get information from a guy that has kept and bred many species of roaches for years a long with everyone else that helps out (steest, Monster, Kream, and whoever else's name I forgot).

Yeah you'll definitely get hooked on some of the frog species on here.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah I totally understand about that. I guess what I was saying was that making it a sub forum would make it seem less like spam to someone not interested, and having them condensed would be an option. But then, naturally everything would be have a sub-forum, and that may take away from simply 'browsing'. But yeah, I guess that once we get a more developed how-tos and such (i actually am building a special roach enclosure that I am documenting for other people, but you won't find a spoiler here!)

I suppose that I am putting the cart before the horse haha!

Thread Information