Thread: Soon be getting a White's tree frog with my son!

rosaphile

Smile Soon be getting a White's tree frog with my son!

Hi, just wanted to pop in here and introduce myself before jumping into any other conversations. We do not have a frog yet but I'm doing all the preliminary research so that I can help my son take care of his pet. He is just a few weeks away from earning the chance to have a pet. He's only 8 years old but he has loved frogs all his life! I plan to have him take care of the frog for the most part but I am making sure I learn as much about them as possible so that I can be sure he takes care of it properly. Also, I confess, doing the research has made me excited to get a frog, too!

At first he thought he wanted a fire-belly toad, but he's decided on the White's tree frog because it is more amenable to handling. (I have made it clear that while he *can* handle the frog, he shouldn't do so every day or anything, and also about cleaning his hands before and after, etc.) I have to admit that I didn't realize how expensive it would be to set up a nice terrarium - I'm looking at an Exo Terra Rainforest terrarium kit (24" high by 18"x18") and it's looking like all together it will cost about $340, without getting a stand (hoping we can use an aquarium stand we already have). Does that seem way high or am I pretty much on track? At any rate his dad and I have committed to letting him have this frog if he meets the requirements, so we'll spend what we have to! Besides, I realize we're not talking about a critter that will only be around a couple of years.

I'm glad to have found this forum and looking forward to learning lots more!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Soon be getting a White's tree frog with my son!

Welcome and nice choice for the new frogs home. I too used a 18x18x24 ZooMed and WTFs and you can do so much in design with it.
    Think about live plants since it makes the tank more interesting and actually easier to maintain.
    Simple Bromeliads, Snake plants, and Pothos with a few branches and vines make great climbing, hiding and perches for your new frog.

Again, welcome and hope you hae a great fun experience with the frog and the people you meet here.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Thread Information