Thread: With or without D3?

Guenhwyvar

Question With or without D3?

Should I get calcium suppliments with or without D3? I have one blue blub and one coralife life bulb over my pac, Jr. Do you think I should get his supplements with or without D3?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: With or without D3?

Your Pacman Frog needs D3 in his/her calcium suppliment, otherwise the Pacman Frog won't be able to metabolize the Calcium.

Make sure your bulbs aren't too hot. Pacman Frog will sometimes sit under their lamp for too long and get burned.

Guenhwyvar

I don't have an albino, so I used bulbs, but they aren't hot at all. They get a bit warm, but he has a plant canopy to shade him. I was told that if I used UVB bulbs, then I didn't need to add D3 to his diet, but I wasn't sure and wanted others opinions. thankyou.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Use the supplements with D3. Like MeTree said, they need D3 to metabolize the calcium otherwise it will pass through their system without being absorbed. Without the calcium they can develop metabolic bone disease. This is not an issue of albino. Small doses (4-6 hours per day) of UVB can be beneficial, but are not necessary. It safer for your frog to get calcium and D3 from a supplement. Almost all UVB lights are florescent; florescent lights are too bright and cannot be used with a dimmer switch. They are too bright and can damage your frogs eyes (again, not just albinos- any pacman). In nature, they live on the forest floor and they are nocturnal so they are not adapted to bright or direct/concentrated light. Even with a plant for shade, they can still cause damage. Better safe than sorry.

Guenhwyvar

Thanks, I ordered the stuff with D3. thanks for all the help guys^^ Jr appreciates it too

Dodo

What is D3, please?

Sublime

Vitamin D3. Naturally synthesized by UVB lighting (Natural sun wavelengths), this goes for: Humans, reptiles, amphibians, and some other land dwelling animals. Helps them metabolize and absorb the calcium into processing for bone growth and development.

Thread Information