Thread: Heating my tank

Kerry1968

Default Heating my tank

As you may know I've made a vivarium out of an old fish tank (24" x 12") I have a 9inch netted section on the front for access and ventilation and the rest is glass.

So far all I've got is a very small heat pad on the back oif the tank (about 4" square) and I 'borrow' an Exo Terra canopy overnight with a 15 watt moonlight bulb in it, from the crested geckos vivarium.

This means the average temperature of the tank is about 18 degrees. Now the weather is getting colder I need to sort out a more permenant way of heating their tank. I'm not really happy using a heat mat as it only really heats the portion of glass it sits on, I was thinking of some kind of light set-up above the tank, but I'm worried about the heat cracking the glass.

Has anyone got any ideas? What kind of bulb? How could I fix it to the top of a glass tank? How would it work out with day/night temperatures?

Thank you, Kerry.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Heating my tank

You could try a ceramic heating bulb (they don't give off visible light) in a dome, a larger heat pad on the wall, or a heat cable in the substrate (use a thermostat on that last option for safety).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kerry1968

Thanks John, I don't have substrate I have water instead, but the ceramic heater sounds a good idea. Would you think they need heat at night? Would a heat mat be sufficient heat for night time and the addition of ceramic heater for the day?

I'm not sure how I would fix a ceramic bulb, I'll have to look into it.

priya

hi, kerry, what kinda frogs do you have? ive been worrying about the same thing for whites tree frogs. in the day time i use a normal 40watt bulb above the tank and a heat mat stuck to the side of the tank on the outside. but i am not happy with it as at night when the light goes of i think i may get a bit cold for them (wtfs) i also worry that the frogs might burn themselves if they sit on the side of the glass with the heat mat.

StephenLS

Hi All

Your frogs are most unlikely to burn themselves on a heatmat mounted outside the tank.

I've always used heatmats and , thus far, have never had a problem!

Personally I have just invested in some higher wattage (30w+) heat mats and a couple more thermostats for my current collection and pending Dyeing Dart Froglets!

Alternatively if you provide a large water section for your frogs you could pop an aquarium heater in there and stick it on the highest temperature - the evaporating water should help heat the tank a little - but not to the extent of a heatmat!

(Also to improve heat retention from a mat consider mounting card over the side it is on - and the other sides of the tank to improve insulation - every little helps!)

Hope some of this helps!

Kerry1968

Thanks Stephen. Do you find heat mats raise the temperature enough in the entire vivarium? If so, I would rather use heat mats than a light fitting as it will be difficult to mount on a glass tank. Insulation for the tank is something I haven't thought of, I will get something sorted this weekend, can't have my frogs getting cold!

Priya, I have Whites too. Perhaps there is some ideas in this thread that'll help you out too.

StephenLS

If the heat mat is large enough yes, although there is always a small temperature gradient!

My dart frog tank varies from 25c at the hot end to 22c at the other.

For my Malayan horned frogs, that require a constant of about 25c I've had to mount 2x30w heatmats on one side of the tank completely covering it!

There is a lot of trial and error involved!

Thanks for the extra reputation point!

Kerry1968

Sorry to spoil the illusion Stephen, the pep point wasn't from me! You got one now though!

Thread Information