Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long does springtail usually take to produce

Sublime

Default Re: How long does springtail usually take to produce

Haha your posts are always comical, yet informative at the same time with all the side related comments and gestures. That sucks that it took over a year to get a colony sustained to use. How long is the average time of reproducing starting with a fairly large size starter colony for Woodlice in the right conditions?

I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity as well; my goal is to just have a few frogs at most - maybe a little more. Give them enough attention and husbandry they require to live healthy lives. My mentality might change in the upcoming years in this hobby and I just might require having 50 frogs to get my fix, lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Herpetologicalgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    That sucks that it took over a year to get a colony sustained to use. How long is the average time of reproducing starting with a fairly large size starter colony for Woodlice in the right conditions?
    I would say it depends on the size and maturity of your starting cultures. At this point in the game I've been able to start brand new 64oz cultures and have them be fully "matured" in about 3 weeks. Here's the trick: Keep them in your reptile room, in the dark. The warmth and darkness makes them breed like rabbits! I've been able to turn MY average maturity time from about 2 months down to 3 weeks.

I just checked in on my master culture yesterday and it's time for me to thin it out again because I have woodlice coming UP THE SIDES of my container hahaha. I think it's safe to say that I have MILLIONS of them in there. I've never seen anything like it haha. Good news: My darts will be little fatties for a little while, at least until I can get some of these cultures moving LOL. Do frogs go into food comas? @.@

And thank you, Mark. I'm a very colorful person, and it's even better in person (I've been told). I'm glad you enjoy my manner of speaking

EDIT: I have 3 weddings to go to this weekend so I apologize in advance if I don't get back to anyone else until Sunday evening (after I've successfully pulled all of my hair out) who wanted those free 8oz springtail cultures. I'll try to respond sometime in between all this madness, I promise!! <3

bshmerlie

Mark, the magic number is 50 frogs??? Oh no....I already hit that number. But now that most of my babies are now grown up I should be able to cut that number in half as I just keep pairs. Unless we're counting tadpoles and froglets.

Sublime

@Abby Oh I see, that's helpful advice. 2 months to 3 weeks, wow that's a drastic change in time. Yes I'm sure they will go into a food coma, lol. Sad thing is, the people you see on YouTube feeding their frogs (Primarily pixies and pacmans) literally do go into a food coma.

No problem.

@Cheri Wow that's a ton of work Cheri! That's good that you'll be able to sell some off though; are you going to be able to let your babies go? Now you're just left with your main priorities and have extra time to give them more attention.

I don't count them until they go through full metamorphosis; If we did that would be too much to count, lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information