Thread: New Amazon Milk frogs

JennTigercat

Smile New Amazon Milk frogs

Hi I have two new Amazon Milk Frogs. They are so cute but so small. I just got them today. They are just over an inch in length. Neither one have names yet as I don't even know what sex they especially with them being this small.

The first three are of the same one she/he likes to hang out on the glass. The last two pics are of the other one who likes to hide in the leaves.
    Name:  100_9891.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  71.8 KBName:  100_9892.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  68.2 KBName:  100_9900.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  34.6 KBName:  100_9903.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  74.9 KBName:  100_9897.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  81.7 KB

My only real concern is how to make sure they get the full daytime light they need without adding anymore heat there temp on the warm side is 80F and on the cool side it is at 76F. Also like most reptiles do they need a little acclimation time before they will eat?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Amazon Milk frogs

Jen, they're lovely frogs. Thank you for sharing the photos. These are nocturnal frogs - they don't need daytime light.

Secondly, these are not reptiles. Unfortunately people tend to (wrongly) lump amphibians into the same group as reptiles when talking about them. From a scientific point of view, they're a completely different taxonomic class, just as mammals are a completely different taxonomic class. Humans have arguably more in common with reptiles than frogs do. For example, you have a 4 chambered heart. So does a reptile. Frogs have a 3 chambered heart like fish.

They may require a few days to get used to their new home. Milk frogs can become very bold though and will usually take food from tweezers after a few weeks.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

JennTigercat

Thanks John, yeah after reading a little more I saw that they were nocturnal and didn't need the day light. I seem to like the nocturnal animals the most lol. They were very active last night which made me happy and it looks like one of them did eat a couple of the crickets. I will start feeding them with tweezers though in a few days to make sure both are getting the right amount of food.

Believe me I know they aren't reptiles and have their own separate taxonomic group as I am a Zoo student. Though I didn't know that they had a three chambered heart. I don't think our teacher ever went over that in class.

erini

They're beautiful! Are they active? I was really surprised by how active mine were right away.

JennTigercat

yes they are active and they are right next to my bed so I can hear them thump against the glass when they jump at it.

MonsterPyxie

very cool looking frog!

bshmerlie

I think Milk frogs are some of the most beautiful frogs available.

JennTigercat

They are definitely gorgeous. I have been researching them since I saw pictures of them last year. Glad to finally get some

I am happy that the one I nicknamed Peek-A-Boo has eaten. He/she took a couple of pinheads last night. The other one hasn't eaten yet.

Thread Information