Thread: Hi I just joined to learn more about frogs

JennTigercat

Smile Hi I just joined to learn more about frogs

Hello my name is Jenn. I am not new to reptiles as I have 7 corn snakes and 3 leopard geckos but I am new to frogs. I took in two little Amazon milk frogs from some one who couldn't keep them. Right now they are in a 5 gallon terrarium cause they are so small. I do plan on putting them in a 20 gallon aquarium when they get bigger. I know that they need lots of plants and branches to climb on which I have. I do have one question though. They are in my bedroom and I normally don't keep the curtains open cause I live in an apartment complex and don't like people looking into my apartment. I have a light that is on a thermostat so that it doesn't get to hot but I am wondering if that will confuse them. Is there a light that doesn't produce much heat that I can leave on all day so that they have the right day/night cycles? There temp right now is at about 78F on the light side and 76 on the cool side. Their humidity is at 74% at the moment. Also should I wait a day to let them settle in before I try and feed them or should I go ahead and feed them tonight?

BG

Default Re: Hi I just joined to learn more about frogs

Hi Jenn and welcome to the forum. They are one of the coolest frogs. There is alot of knowledgeable people here who have them. Keep us updated and we love pics.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the Forum! It's a great place with lots of knowledgeable people. I don't know much about milk frogs; I only have pacmans. There are a wide variety of bulbs for different purposes. If you are just looking for light and not too much heat, you can put the light on a dimmer switch and adjust it to where you need it to be. A Lower wattage bulb would work also. With regards to feeding, it is normal for a frog to take a day or two to get used its new environment; sometimes they will not eat while they are adjusting. Some frogs adjust right away and have no dip in their appetite. I would try to offer food. They may or may not eat it, but give them the option. If they seem stressed out, let them be. Give them some quiet time and space and try to feed them tomorrow. Good luck!

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh, and BG Really love seeing frog pictures so post some as soon as you can! We would love to see your little guys/girls. Keep us updated!

vixxy

They have spiral and regular florescent bulbs that don't give off much heat but are made just to give UV rays. I have a spiral called a 2.0 Reptiglo and it fits in any lamp or socket and u could put it on a timer. Or, like someone else said a regular bulb would prolly work.

JennTigercat

Quote Originally Posted by vixxy View Post
    They have spiral and regular florescent bulbs that don't give off much heat but are made just to give UV rays. I have a spiral called a 2.0 Reptiglo and it fits in any lamp or socket and u could put it on a timer. Or, like someone else said a regular bulb would prolly work.
    I have the spiral reptiglo 2.0 bulb and have been using that

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Welcome Jenn!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

bshmerlie

Welcome to the forum Jenn. Your temps sound just right. Just keep an eye on it because it doesn't take much for a five gallon to overheat.

JennTigercat

I know the light is on a thermostat to help keep if from getting too hot. though I know even those aren't fool proof

Thread Information