Thread: Breeding Pac Man Frogs

ConVexity

Default Breeding Pac Man Frogs

I heard before I breed my frog I have to give them a dry season for 3 weeks? No food, mist, or attention for 3 weeks. It says they will burrow deep together for the entire time. <--- Is that true?

Then after that I should put the frogs in an aquarium with that is two inches deep then I let them mate inside there and she will lay her eggs in the water. <- correct?

Anything wrong or anything else I should know?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

IvoryReptiles

Default Re: Breeding Pac Man Frogs

Most of us who do breed the C. cranwelli are not willing to give out the specs for breeding them this easily. When we started there was literally NO information to be had other than "Inject them with hormones to get them in the mood"......we were not willing to go that route and wanted to try doing it naturally.
    Every breeder does things in their own way. We did research on their natural habits and took it from there. We rarely aestivate our frogs, we don't want to risk losing them! We do give them a 3 month break from breeding November to February.
    Do NOT keep the frogs together unless they are breeding and only then for a couple of days at a time......our female has injured males when she is not in the mood.
    And yes, there is TONS more you need to know before you just jump into breeding them. We kept the frogs for over a year while we did research on it. We learned as we went along. It can be done without the hormones, but it isn't common.

Good Luck!

4. This member thanks IvoryReptiles for this post:

ConVexity

Thank you.
    You always seem to help me out.
    I'm going to do a lot more research.

IvoryReptiles

You are very welcome!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

yea do alot of research before trying to breed i plan on breeding my pacs and ivoryreptiles helped me out on how to take care of the tadpoles and what to feed them
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

There are lots of different ways to breed them. I kept my frogs in the mid to low 70's for 2 months. Then used basically a "snake" rack and heated the tubs up to about 84 degrees. I fed them until they had good weight on them. I tested the use of a kiddy pool from walmart. They are about 5ft in diameter and 18inches tall. Took 1/2in pvc and constructed a rain system over the pool and attached the pump. I waited til a rain system moved in and put the frogs in the pool. 3 nights later my samurai blue pacman laid eggs. About 48hrs they were hatching. I did not raise the tadpoles past 2weeks. After my 2nd water change they all passed.

It is IMPORTANT to have warm water in the chamber for the frogs. I kept the water set for 82 degrees.

frogsanity12

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    There are lots of different ways to breed them. I kept my frogs in the mid to low 70's for 2 months. Then used basically a "snake" rack and heated the tubs up to about 84 degrees. I fed them until they had good weight on them. I tested the use of a kiddy pool from walmart. They are about 5ft in diameter and 18inches tall. Took 1/2in pvc and constructed a rain system over the pool and attached the pump. I waited til a rain system moved in and put the frogs in the pool. 3 nights later my samurai blue pacman laid eggs. About 48hrs they were hatching. I did not raise the tadpoles past 2weeks. After my 2nd water change they all passed.

It is IMPORTANT to have warm water in the chamber for the frogs. I kept the water set for 82 degrees.

that sucks. I hear a lot of horror stories about water changes

Mercedesherp

While you think you can condition and successfully spawn your animals, should you not be prepared, nor, understand the most simple
    aspects of basic water chemistry, you may have doomed yourself to failure. Thats for ( Mikey )

IvoryReptiles

We've been lucky so far and have not had a die off like that Mike. We've gotten eggs that were not fertilized, but once we get tadpoles, we keep the water clean. Daily water changes because they exude so much waste and we do NOT want them to tox out on us. I'm sorry you lost them. It sucks. ConVexity, good luck!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Boy this thread is old.lol.

I looked at a few of the albino tadpoles and they have a bright yellow arrow on there back. I'm hoping they are solid yellow.

frogsanity12

Yeah sorry to dig up an old one. I've been researching. I'm even doing it at work My job is very boring this time of year.

Thread Information