Thread: Frog night light? I want to see them, but not disturb them.

Trohr

Default Frog night light? I want to see them, but not disturb them.

Are there any lights on the market that create a light spectrum that's not visible by frogs, that's visible by humans, and creates very little heat?

Since getting my White's- every morning when I wake up- I find little foot prints across the glass in the condensation. The leaves draped across the branches in the terrarium are always laying on the ground too.... My White's are pretty active, but I never get to see them. They sleep in their river rock rock cave that I created for them during the day, and run around during night. I want to disturb them as little as possible so once their light goes off I leave it off.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog night light? I want to see them, but not disturb them.

You can get "moon lights" that give a pale light in the evening to let you watch your frogs. They'll come out at night even if there's a weak light (some get so attuned to the time of the day that they'll come out when the lights are on full anyhow).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Trohr

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You can get "moon lights" that give a pale light in the evening....
    Aaaah, awesome, I never thought about trying to simulate moonlight. Going to head to the hardware store tomorrow to pick up some sort of dim light ;]

Thanks~

Nationality
    [United States]

Blue, Green and Red LEDs are great alone or mixed. It doesn't bother the frog and can create some great light.

Trohr

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Highum View Post
    Blue, Green and Red LEDs are great alone or mixed. It doesn't bother the frog and can create some great light.
    Aaaaah, blue could be awesome- definitely going with blue :]

Kurt

There is no condenstaion in any of my treefrog enclosures and there really should be any in yours either. Does your frog have decent ventilation? Treefrogs need good ventilation, otherwise they will slowly die on you.

Trohr

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    There is no condenstaion in any of my treefrog enclosures and there really should be any in yours either. Does your frog have decent ventilation? Treefrogs need good ventilation, otherwise they will slowly die on you.
    I have a vent towards the back of the lid that's covered with a fine chicken wire. I also have two large, dual pump, aquarium air pumps hooked to timers that run for 20-30 minutes every two hours, every day, all week to cycle air. I hope that it's enough....

It's pretty cold in my room, and 70 degrees in their vivarium. I mist it every day with treated water so that every thing is moist, and the humidity remains around 50%. I might open the front of the lid a bit to let more air flow out.

I went and bought a small "iced" touch light that gives off a soft glow- hoping to light up their vivarium a bit with it at night so I can watch em crawl around.

Kurt

My treefrogs all have screen tops, not partial screen tops. They are misted as needed. The only amphbians that have condensation in their enclosures are my salamanders, dart frog, and a few other terrestrial frogs. Arboreals have all have good to great ventilation.
    Your air pumps may seem like a good idea, but they are being run enough. Besides good ventilation is much cheaper than the electricity it takes to run those pumps.

Trohr

My treefrogs all have screen tops, not partial screen tops. They are misted as needed. The only amphbians that have condensation in their enclosures are my salamanders, dart frog, and a few other terrestrial frogs. Arboreals have all have good to great ventilation.
    Your air pumps may seem like a good idea, but they are being run enough. Besides good ventilation is much cheaper than the electricity it takes to run those pumps.
    In that case i'll probably head out the door in a few minutes to go see if I can find myself a screen top for my tank. I worry a bit about temperature though too....

I have trouble keeping the temperature at 70 degrees, and that's with the solid lid, vent in the back, and insulation on four sides. Should I just get a more powerful heat mat? I could lower my light a bit too. My substrate (large wood chips, Sphagnum moss, and river rocks) is fairly thick, and doesn't transfer heat well I think. Should probably just put less substrate in- would give the frogs more vertical room too.

Kurt

How think is the the substrate? You can also get a ceremic heater, which will screw into just about any incandescent light fixture. A dome, clamp-on light will work for this.

Amphibians

I use a Red bulb for heat and leave it on all night, red isnt supposed to disturb them at nightime, and keeps it from getting too cold. You should prolly raise the daytime temp to the 80+ region thats a bit cold for a whites tree frog.

Trohr

How think is the the substrate? You can also get a ceremic heater, which will screw into just about any incandescent light fixture. A dome, clamp-on light will work for this.
    The substrate is about an inch and a half in most places. I need to give the whole thing a cleaning in a bit so I'll experiment with having a very thick area where the frogs can go to cool off, and a very thin area (maybe nothing but sphagnum moss) where it will be nice and toasty. If worse comes to worse I'll try a ceramic heater.

I might not get another top though- I propped the little access door on the top open a few centimeters with a pen, and put a weight on top.... Let it sit for about 30 minutes, and all condensation is gone. Temperature is hovering around 65-70, and Humidity is still 50%.

Might have done the trick~

Thanks for the input. I want my frogs to be as happy as can be :]

Mattiez

I've never kept whites, but 65 is definitely in the dangerously low end if they stay that way for extended periods of time. Also, are the woodchips small enough to fit in their mouths? If so, they pose a great risk for impaction. Even if they're generally big, they may break and some of the smaller pieces may be ingested. Perhaps switch to coco dirt?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
    I've never kept whites, but 65 is definitely in the dangerously low end if they stay that way for extended periods of time.
    That's a very interesting statement to make. If you've never kept White's Tree Frogs, how do you know that "65 is definitely in the dangerously low end" ?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Trohr View Post
    Aaaaah, blue could be awesome- definitely going with blue :]
    I would at least recommend green and blue mixed because it brings out more of the color of your frog.

Trohr

I actually just went and bought a night light that gives off a really light, warm yellow glow- they don't seem to mind it at all.

I've also fixed the temperature problem. Lower half of the tank hovers around 82 degrees during the day, 70 at night. Upper half of the tank is always about 65-70.

No condensation on the glass either, but the humidity bounces between 40-50%.

Amphibians

That's much better, my White's don't seem to like the humidity dipping below 50%. 50-60 is a good range, a water dish or feature would help with this. got pictures?

Trohr

Since taking this picture I've thrown a few more thermometers in, hygrometer, more shrubbery to hide in, a slab of cork bark, wrapped the back and sides in a green cloth with insulation to hold more heat in, and got a nice stand to put everything on :]

i use a 25 wait red heat bulb on my white tree frogs it puts out alot of light and the frogs cant see it it puts enough heat out for them.

Thread Information