Thread: How can i tell if my frogs are dwarf or clawed frogs?

mafoo

Default How can i tell if my frogs are dwarf or clawed frogs?

im just wondering if my frogs are a dwarf frog or a clawed frog because i have a beta fish with them and i do not want the beta fish to get eaten by them when there big. the reason im thinking this is because one of my frogs has just about doubled in size since i bought him and ive only had him for 2-3 weeks. some advice on identification of these to frogs would help a bunch!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bobert

Default Re: how can i tell if my frogs are dwarf or clawed frogs?

well he is probably a african clawed frog because dwarf frogs are much smaller and i have had a african clawed frog for 2 years and she is really big she eats gold fish now

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Look that the hands - - if there is webbing between the hands then it is a dwarf. If there is no webbing and only 4 fingers then it is a clawed which can and will eat your betta and will need a much bigger tank than a dwarf.

Please, in the future research your pets before you buy them. Most frog owners do not encourage even dwarfs to be kept with fish, even bettas, due to the fact the frog is often not fed enough or the proper diet. These frogs have such poor vision that they are nearly blind, as a result they have to find their food by scent - - hard to do with a fast moving betta with keen eyesight in the tank. Bettas are known pigs and chances are your frog might not get his fair share of food.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    well he is probably a african clawed frog because dwarf frogs are much smaller and i have had a african clawed frog for 2 years and she is really big she eats gold fish now
    Please, do not intentionally feed your ACF goldfish.

For a few reasons
    1) it blocks the frogs ability to absorb B-Enzymes
    2) feeder fish are known disease carriers - you risk potentially killing your frog every time you feed her because of diseases the feeders can carry. Feeders make little to no profit for the store and are often in such overcrowded and under maintained conditions that it only takes one sick fish to infect the rest.
    3) it is not a balanced diet and offers little to no nutritional gain to the frog so it is not even worth feeding it anyways.
    4) there are readily available and inexpensive foods out there that are better tailored to your frog's dietary needs - - Reptomin, HBH/Zoomed frog and tadpole bites, frozen bloodworms, earthworms...
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Thread Information