Thread: surinam horned frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default surinam horned frog

hi all,
    just wonder where's all the surnam horned frogs went. some members here have mention their will be some available around this time of the year.but i didn't heard nothing about them.any body know anything about this?

phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Capojames

Default Re: surinam horned frog

They aren't around any where. I swear people are hiding them. I been looking all year. I cant find them if my life depended on it

Sidius

Now please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read and heard it's mostly got to do with their habitat loss. It's like with plecos... when I got into them 8 years ago, many many different species were available, and now some that I have, for example the L260 (Queen Arabesque Pleco) are on a banned list due to habitat loss from existing/planned dam construction, unavailable to import, and breeders that raise them charge to much for pet stores to want to buy them, so they are sold privately for the most part. I have seen some breeders for Surinam Horned Frogs online, prices on average around 40-80 bucks for little ones and I would imagine that price will only go up.

Sprout

I have heard of none in the UK whatsoever, a shame as I would love to keep looking for one of these guys! If US breeders could ship them safely to these shores I'd be really interested.

Sidius

Well I don't know about over in the UK, but here your best bet is to go to those little 'corner mom and pop (local fish store)' pet stores sort of speak. For example theres a little privately owned pet store I go to and if I'm looking for something the owner doesn't have.. he can usually tell me who/where to go to get it, also if I need something ordered I just tell him(owner) what I need and he'll have it in the next shipment, I've spent A LOT of money at his shop so he helps me out in return for my business. Not something you can do with big name retail stores like Petsmart/Petco for example. Which is why I very very seldom shop at the big name pet stores. I give all my business to the small pet shops. Just an idea I thought I'd share.

Deejay Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    I have heard of none in the UK whatsoever, a shame as I would love to keep looking for one of these guys! If US breeders could ship them safely to these shores I'd be really interested.
    I have surinams available but i will not ship to london or use couriers so depending how much you really want some, Feel free to drive to manchester. Limited numbers for sale has most are being held back for breeding; Mixed greens/browns available im not selling any full greens. Pop me a pm if you want any as im in germany at the moment trading a few.

thanks

Thread Information