Thread: UVB for Albinos?

cvBon1

Default UVB for Albinos?

So, I recently checked, while cleaning Hurley's tank, (my pacman) that his lighting wasn't a UVB light. I thought, oh my god, that's not good. That was yesterday, So today I was looking into getting him a new light fixture and UVB lights, making sure I got the right UVB spectrum, 2.0 I believe, but then I came across word that albino's cannot have UVB lighting due to burns. Is this true? I have always given my frogs D3 and Calcium supplements because I'm terrified of bone diseases but I never thought about his albinism before. It would make sense, but I figured I'd ask the experts first. So should I buy him a UVB or stick with a day bulb?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: UVB for Albinos?

Quote Originally Posted by cvBon1 View Post
    So, I recently checked, while cleaning Hurley's tank, (my pacman) that his lighting wasn't a UVB light. I thought, oh my god, that's not good. That was yesterday, So today I was looking into getting him a new light fixture and UVB lights, making sure I got the right UVB spectrum, 2.0 I believe, but then I came across word that albino's cannot have UVB lighting due to burns. Is this true? I have always given my frogs D3 and Calcium supplements because I'm terrified of bone diseases but I never thought about his albinism before. It would make sense, but I figured I'd ask the experts first. So should I buy him a UVB or stick with a day bulb?
    Albino pacman aren't true albinos. They are a color morph of the Ceratophrys Cranwelli. The UVB light is not needed for Pacmans. UVB lighting is to help reptiles and amphibians to produce D3 on there own. It can possibly hurt their eyes. You aren't supposed to use fluorescent lights which is what most UVB lights are. They are extremely bright most of the time and can possibly harm their eyes. If you are going to use a light for heat use an incandescent light with a lamp that has a dimmer switch like a dial. This way you can adjust the heat and brightness of the light. Dusting the Pacs food with a calcium supplement that contains D3 is sufficient.

BG

Lights are no good for pacman frogs .They live on the forrest floor burried in dirt in the day. They come out at night to eat.

cvBon1

Well, I have a light on him, not directly, but around the tank, because he's in a room that's dark. My apartment doesn't see much sun. Which is why I figured he should have a low watt low uv light on because I know the tropical frogs like himself don't get exposed to much int he wild. However what I thought was a reptile lighting hood was a fish lighting hood. The light IS currently incandescent, but I thought it was a UV fluorescent. Thanks for the info I didn't realize all UVB lights, as it looks, are fluorescent. Mine have always been on the dim side. I guess that's a good thing.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by cvBon1 View Post
    Well, I have a light on him, not directly, but around the tank, because he's in a room that's dark. My apartment doesn't see much sun. Which is why I figured he should have a low watt low uv light on because I know the tropical frogs like himself don't get exposed to much int he wild. However what I thought was a reptile lighting hood was a fish lighting hood. The light IS currently incandescent, but I thought it was a UV fluorescent. Thanks for the info I didn't realize all UVB lights, as it looks, are fluorescent. Mine have always been on the dim side. I guess that's a good thing.
    Yeah some are dim. The jungle UVB lights aren't terribly bright, but are still have fairly high output. Another con of fluorescents is that you aren't supposed to use them with the lamps with a dimmer switch so you can't adjust the brightness.

Thread Information