Thread: how big is the normal pacman frog when you get it from a store?

mafoo

Default how big is the normal pacman frog when you get it from a store?

gonna get a pacman soon and i dont wanna get it to small. people are saying getting theres the size of a dollar and im just wondering how big they usualy are from petsmart and big stores like that. dont really wanna deal with crickets so can i feed it nightcrawlers right away after i buy it? and also when can i feed it a pinky mouse for the first time?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: how big is the normal pacman frog when you get it from a store?

Hi. Yes, I would not recomend getting a Pacman Frog for the first time any smaller than a half dollar. I see that you are from Canada, so I apologise for not knowing a similar sized Canadian Coin. A half dollar is a little bit more than an inch. That is a good size. If your pet store if friendly enough, you may try asking how regularly the particular one you are looking at eats. Crickets are probably the best eye-catcher for baby Pacman Frogs. I recomend starting with them. Some babies will become freaked out by Nightcrawlers, even if they are cut into smaller pieces. I recomend starting with crickets.

You probably aren't going to need to worry about Pinky mice, unless your pet store has some older Pacman Frogs that were born this spring. The minimum recomeded size for a Pacman Frog to be (from snout to vent) before being fed a pinky mouse is 2". Alot of people recomend waiting until they are 6 months, but if the Pacman Frog is over 2", then usually it isn't a problem. You need to be very careful with feeding mice, however. They can be terrible on a Pacman Frog's health if fed in excess. I don't recomend any more than 1 pinky mouse a month for babies. As they grow, you may start introducing 2 pinkies, or a (one) slightly larger mouse. If fed in excess it can cause blindness and even death, so keep that in mind, and don't go overboard.

Also, I don't know if you have Walmarts in Canada, but you need to make sure your Nightcrawlers are coming from a reputable source, not the downtown baitshop. You don't want anything with parasites, chemicals, or dyes. Feel free to ask questions.

I also recomend reading the forum Pacman Care article if you haven't already. It contains lots of information on housing, feeding, etc. It also contains information on supplies you need, and gives lots of helpful pointers that are important for caring for Pacman Frogs.

Good luck with your research! Pacman Frogs are awesome pets if properly cared for!

mafoo

Default Re: how big is the normal pacman frog when you get it from a store?

ok ill try and feed the pacman frog when i first get it the 3 week old crickets i always feed my firebellys. yes there's a Walmart here, but im probably going to get my nightcrawlers from Canadian Feeders - Your One Stop Feeder Shop! so i know there good and i should get a good deal on them! im only planning on feeding my pac a pinky mouse ever 2 months since thats whats suggested. would rather feed it one every month but gotta do what is good for my pacman and not what i wanna do i guess! also at the petsmart i plan on getting my pacman from they always have there animals a bit longer and let them grow up more so there healthier and more active and not so easy to get sick. on top of that they got a moneyback garentee so im sure they wont take the chance of giving me a sick one! im going to go over that care sheet again since ive already skimmed through it but never really read it.

Thread Information