Thread: Mystery solved!

Kurt

Default Mystery solved!

I finally figured out who has been making all the noise in the frog collection. My suspects up until yesterday were the clown treefrogs and the western green toad.

Yesterday, I was just out side the room when I heard a call that I had not heard before. Upon, checking the collection I came across a few frogs that were active. They were the dart frogs, the western green toad, the tomato frogs, and oddly enough one of the red-eyes. Red-eyes are not normally active during the day, but we had overcasts yesterday and the over head light was not on. Well, I ruled out the darts as they are all very young. That left me with the toad, the tomatoes and the red-eye.

That night I tried to do a search on-line for frog calls. Easier said than done, as most calls you find are of North American species. Well I managed to find a site that had some red-eye calls. I played them and one of the calls matched what I had heard. And just a little while ago I got him singing, I actually caught him in the act this time. Mystery solved, it has been one of my red-eyes singing and yesterday he added a few new notes to his call.

I do plan to breed my red-eyes and now I am sure that I have at least one male and one female. I have really large one that out grew my original red-eye. She is huge, so I am assuming she is female.

Other frogs that call in my collection are my fire-bellied toads, one will even call when I pick him up. Amazing! Most frogs will shut up when you look at them, not this little guy. I plan to breed them too. Occasionally, I hear one of the White's sing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Mystery solved!

Kurt, do you have a link to the frog call? I've never heard a redeye call. Congratulations on your little singer .

Kurt

Thanks. Here is the link http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/redeye.html its the second one you want to listen to.

justin shockey

that is crazzy

Thread Information