Thread: Please help!!! I think he is sick....

ToadieMarie

Default Please help!!! I think he is sick....

Hey guys, so I have an American toad that I have owned for about four or five months... He is in a 10 gallon tank; he has adequate water, and I feed him about 5-6 crickets about twice a week, and mealworms on occasion. I have a couple live plants in there for hiding, and I have a spray bottle in which I mist the whole tank gently twice a day. I have made sure the water is chlorine free, and his crickets are dusted with calcium when I buy them.
    ^^I just wanted to give you guys as much information as possible..

Anyway, my issue is... I think my little buddy is sick!!! He(I think it might be a girl, but I could be wrong...) has always been super lively, hunting and hiding and climbing all about; he would lean up against the glass when he saw me, waiting for treats. But yesterday... he started acting super weird. He doesn't move, he has just been laying in one spot in the middle of the tank.. I tried to hand feed him, and he just kind of hid his face. When he was laying there, his sides looked kind of sunken in, and he just seemed... sick. I misted him with water and he opened his mouth and raised up his front legs, but he seems to be dragging his back legs. I felt his skin and he felt super dry, so I cleaned out his bowl good, and put a little bit of water, and moved him there. I have been spraying his back with the bottle, and he almost seemed to liven up a little, but he is still having issues moving...

Anyone know what is wrong with him?? I love him very much, I really don't want him to die... Any advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ToadieMarie

Default Re: Please help!!! I think he is sick....

Nevermind, guys... he passed away in the middle of the night.

Poly

So sorry to hear that!!! Really sorry for your loss! I'm reading your post now to see if I could even give a little input...

Poly

Sounds like he was a healthy, happy toad! How large was he? You may have wanted to feed him 3 crickets every day, rather than feeding him every other day, growing toads require food every day, it's adult toads that you feed every other day. Another tip is that you could have tried feeding him a little more variety of foods, such as "night crawlers" (worms), these are much more healthy than crickets.

How frequently did he soak? Sounds like he was a little dehydrated. What did you keep his humidity & temperature at? He should have soaked at least every other day. Another thing that might have helped was taking him out, and putting him in a dish of warm water in sunlight to soak, he would have stayed in there for a long time because the warm water relaxes them.

Once again, verry sorry for your loss!

~Royce

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

So sorry to hear of your loss. So sad when we lose them.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Thread Information