Thread: Burrowing

Sprout

Default Burrowing

Hi everyone,

May seem like a trivial question but do all your Pacs burrow? Mine has never attempted to despite having plenty of substrate and space. He's a healthy, contented frog who likes sitting in his bowl or under his plant staring at me, never below the surface. Maybe he is just lazy?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Burrowing

I have heard of afew instances where people have owned Pacman Frogs that simply just never burrowed. It could be related to temps (they are less likely to burrow if the temps are alittle below the prefered range), but that sounds more like a personality deal to me.

Nationality
    [United States]

They generally burrow, but like MeTree said I've heard of some that don't. Occasionally it can be a sign that something is irritating their skin. Or sometimes they won't burrow if the substrate is too wet or dry. It is hard to get the balance right. Last week, the humidity kept dropping in my little pacman's terrarium so I sprayed several times. But the poor little thing unburried itself in the middle of the day, sat on top of the soil, and wouldn't rebury. I had accidentally made the soil too wet. When I sprayed the water was all going to the bottom for some reason, so even though the gauge said the humidity was low, the soil was way too wet. Just something to watch out for. What kind of substrate do you use?

Sprout

Thanks for the help guys!

The substrate I use is called Reptile Coco Fibre Brick.that I get from my local Pets At Home store. The humidity is ususlly beteeen 75-80 and I clean his tank weekly. I give him enough to bury in but hes always just sat there. You may be onto something about the substrate being too wet sometimes though, he moves around a lot in his water bowl a lit with causrs splashes that soak the surrounding area. Maybe it all seeps to the bottom in his tank too!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    Thanks for the help guys!

The substrate I use is called Reptile Coco Fibre Brick.that I get from my local Pets At Home store. The humidity is ususlly beteeen 75-80 and I clean his tank weekly. I give him enough to bury in but hes always just sat there. You may be onto something about the substrate being too wet sometimes though, he moves around a lot in his water bowl a lit with causrs splashes that soak the surrounding area. Maybe it all seeps to the bottom in his tank too!
    I always buy the green tank liners. I put them in the tank and then put the substrate on top of them. I noticed my baby Cranwelli unbury itself when the substrate was too wet once. They do not like muddy soil. Just damp moist soil. I believe it could be a personality trate as well. Like how some love to use their water dishes and some don't use them at all.

7. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Sprout

Thanks for the help! I'll give tank liners a go would like to see him at least try to burrow, haha.

I changed his substrate yesterday, so far still no burrowing from Sprout but a lot of loafing about in his water bowl (and splashing everywhere!) Starting to think it is just a personality thing, he sure loves spreading out in his bowl!

Thread Information