Thread: Hmm... Safe?

ToadieMarie

Default Hmm... Safe?

So, I have an American toad, and I have had him for a couple of months now. This would be my first toad, so I will probably have many questions in the future.
    I usually feed him crickets, mealworms, and ’rolly pollies’ (Which are his favorite...).
    Anyway,
    My little sisters like to catch the rolly pollies for him and watch him eat; but today, they brought me a jar full of these weird bugs to feed him. I had never seen them before so I told them I would make sure they were okay to feed him before putting them in. Upon further research, I learned they are called ’Boxelder Bugs’ they are about the size of a rolly pollie, are black and red, and kind of look like little beetles. So my question is, do you think they are safe? Does anyone know where I could find a list of dangerous bugs so I can avoid them? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the bugs for more information:
    Boxelder Bug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lisaann177

Default Re: Hmm... Safe?

Quote Originally Posted by toadiemarie View Post
    so, i have an american toad, and i have had him for a couple of months now. This would be my first toad, so i will probably have many questions in the future.
    I usually feed him crickets, mealworms, and ’rolly pollies’ (which are his favorite...).
    Anyway,
    my little sisters like to catch the rolly pollies for him and watch him eat; but today, they brought me a jar full of these weird bugs to feed him. I had never seen them before so i told them i would make sure they were okay to feed him before putting them in. Upon further research, i learned they are called ’boxelder bugs’ they are about the size of a rolly pollie, are black and red, and kind of look like little beetles. So my question is, do you think they are safe? Does anyone know where i could find a list of dangerous bugs so i can avoid them? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the bugs for more information:
    boxelder bug

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hello! I just googled box elder bugs and using them for feeder insects for frogs. It said the only thing that you need to worry about it over feeding your frogs...but if your frog wants to eat it..then let it. Also, it is better for you to find a male and female box elder bugs, keep them till they lay eggs, let the adults go and start raising your own "fresh farm" of box elder bugs. Reason is that they would be healthier bugs and would be raised only on the food that you give them. Meaning you will know for sure what your frog is eating at all time.
    I have african black clawed albino frogs. An adult mom & dad and their babies(now). For the last two years i have had my own red worm farm. It is very easy to do, not messy at all and it is a lot cheaper than buying worms or food all the time. Plus in the off seasons you can't buy them. It works great. If you want any more ideas just let me know.
    I hope that this helps you out! And good luck with your frog. I love all 15 of mine!!!!!!!!!!! Lol

sincerely,
    lisaann177

Kurt

Those bright colours to me say "no". The rule of thumb is that small, brightly coloured creatures advertise their toxicity to avoid predation. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, small brightly coloured creatures who are mimicing toxic ones. Just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't use them as feeders.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

NO! Ok, so I don't have any proof that they're poisonous, but I was a bug nerd as a kid (still am) and our yard was infested with these. I once caught whole assortment of bugs and put them in a jar. One of the bugs was a daddy long legs (it didn't occur to me at the time that spiders eat other bugs). That daddy long legs systematically went around that jar and bit and killed every bug in it, except for the boxelder bugs. Another time, I put one in a venus fly trap and the whole uh...trappy part (?), turned black. After about a week, I opened it up and the bug was still alive.

Thread Information