Thread: Hibernation?

trbngropat

Default Hibernation?

Hello all, I posted a few weeks back with some starter questions with a toad I was given. He/She (Raul) is a bufo alvarius my buddy gave me and things have been going great, my son loves to look at him and call him a bug. Yesterday I went to feed him his crickets and came back later and noticed he only ate one when he usually eats at least 5 right away. Then today I came to check on him and he was burried so well I couldnt find him. I went to change his water dish and he was laying under it with his eyes closed, but still breathing and all...kinda gave me a stern look when I touched him to make sure he was still alive lol. Is he starting to hibernate now and should just let him be or is there something I need to look into? He's a cool little guy and I would hate to mistake hibernation with something serious, any input is greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

wesleybrouwer

Default Re: Hibernation?

Hibernation is a possibility ofcourse, did you let his enclosure cool down with the temperature outside?

trbngropat

Default Re: Hibernation?

He stays in his enclosure indoors most of the day, but I put him by the window to soak up the sun during the afternoon. Sometimes I'll let him out while I play guitar and let him hop around the room, he seems to like the amp and hangs out by it (pretty cool to me). He usually burrows during the day time but just enough to cover his head while his eyes still poke out. We keep the house around 70-74 degrees day and night so there wasnt a sudden change in temperature. It's getting colder outside of course (we're in North Dakota) but I didn't think he could pick up on that. Thanks for the quick response!

Thread Information