Thread: Glow-in-the-dark Mushroom Habitat Growing Kit

forestorganics68

Default Glow-in-the-dark Mushroom Habitat Growing Kit

For millennium, people have referred to it as Foxfire, "Cold Fire," "Will-o'-the-Wisp" or Faerie Fire,"

Name:  glowing mushroom on log pic.jpg
Views: 18116
Size:  61.8 KBName:  Picture 031.jpg
Views: 6887
Size:  120.7 KB

Your Glow-in-the-dark Mushroom Kit has many natural functions and is not only cool but plays a very important role in the terrarium's micro-climate by releasing humidity and purifying the environment.

Now YOU can grow Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms at home in your terrarium, vivariums, or backyard on a real log with this simple mushroom growing kit. Your kit includes everything you need (except the log!) to grow your own faerie Fire. You also get a wonderful booklet that tells you more about the science behind bioluminescence, its lore, other species, and its place in nature.
    This product is an exciting project for the whole family or the classroom.

$24.95 FREE SHIPPING US ONLY
    NON US ADD $13.95 SHIPPING
    http://www.forestorganics.net

foragedandfound@yahoo.com
    Name:  paypal-cc-pay-now.gif
Views: 655
Size:  5.7 KB

MonsterPyxie

Default Re: Glow-in-the-dark Mushroom Habitat Growing Kit

Very cool product you have. I will have to buy some!

Are you able to "harvest" these after there grown, and make more? such as farming them to create more mushrooms?

Thanks!
    Rob

forestorganics68

Hi, Yes you can harvest them off the log, dry them out and keep them for years, bring them out at a later date mist them with water and the glowing returns.<br><br>Once the log is growing mushrooms you don't have to reseed it, it will continue to grow mushrooms for many years until the mushrooms eat up all the cellulose and nutrients in the log.

MonsterPyxie

excellent, thank you for the quick reply. I have a few stumps in my yard these would be awesome for! Going to put in my order now!

Grrrit

very neat! is this the only mushroom product you have? and are these 100% safe for frogs? ive read some threads elsewhere about whether or not theey were OK to have in with them. and what are the sizes of the caps on them when full grown?

SiNi5T3R

Quote Originally Posted by Grrrit View Post
    very neat! is this the only mushroom product you have? and are these 100% safe for frogs? ive read some threads elsewhere about whether or not theey were OK to have in with them. and what are the sizes of the caps on them when full grown?
    Would love to know the same thing.

forestorganics68

Hello, I do sell other mushroom growing kits on my website at Forest Organics - Home They are absolutly 100% safe for all frogs and reptiles.....The caps can differ in size, but generally about 1" in diameter or smaller.

Grrrit

Excellent! Would you suggest seeding the tank before introducing the frogs?
    Thank you!

MonsterPyxie

Received my mushroom's. and although I am happy with the product, it should be known that in the manual it says that it can take upto 8 months before seeing any sprouts, the logs that you put the "plugs" in, are recommend to have 73 ish degress, moist, and soak the log.

It also says while safe to eat, there is thought that the mushroom could thin the blood.

I'm still happy with my perchance. was able to go into a dark room at night, and hold the plugs to my face with my hands cupped around them, and see them glow, so that has me excited for them to grow!

I will be keeping my log in a mildly ventilated tub, with a mat on the bottom to hold moisture, that way i can more easily control the temperature and humidity.... being that its about to start snowing here, and humidity is around 10% in our house!

10. This member thanks MonsterPyxie for this post:

Grrrit

Keep us posted

forestorganics68

Hello,

Thank you for your purchase. I have a few questions for you. Did you order the Habitat Kit or our larger Glow Kit?. The habitat kit is labeled habitat kit on the front package. The reason I ask is that changes the information that's contained in the kit. The habitat kit that's listed in this ade has a colonization (incubation) time of 1-2 months not 8 months, that's the larger kit we sell, that kit inoculates a 40" long log. So you either bought the larger kit or I gave you different instructions. really it dosen't matter the only thing different is the incubation time in the larger kit and we give you more spores.

I do need to make a correction in your review of the information. In the booklet it states that Medicinally the mushrooms are known as a styptic (staunch bleeding)- thus stipticus. [NB: a styptic stops or slows blood flow, as in a cut.] This doe's not thin the blood, and this information is talking about human uses for the mushroom. It will not thin the blood of your frogs or reptiles.

Note: that this kit is not an instant gratification product, it will take between 1-2 months after impregnating the log before the log will start growing mushrooms.

13. This member thanks forestorganics68 for this post:

MonsterPyxie

Quote Originally Posted by forestorganics68 View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for your purchase. I have a few questions for you. Did you order the Habitat Kit or our larger Glow Kit?. The habitat kit is labeled habitat kit on the front package. The reason I ask is that changes the information that's contained in the kit. The habitat kit that's listed in this ade has a colonization (incubation) time of 1-2 months not 8 months, that's the larger kit we sell, that kit inoculates a 40" long log. So you either bought the larger kit or I gave you different instructions. really it dosen't matter the only thing different is the incubation time in the larger kit and we give you more spores.

I do need to make a correction in your review of the information. In the booklet it states that Medicinally the mushrooms are known as a styptic (staunch bleeding)- thus stipticus. [NB: a styptic stops or slows blood flow, as in a cut.] This doe's not thin the blood, and this information is talking about human uses for the mushroom. It will not thin the blood of your frogs or reptiles.

Note: that this kit is not an instant gratification product, it will take between 1-2 months after impregnating the log before the log will start growing mushrooms.
    Well let me start by saying I apologize for speaking off the top of my head. I did not mean to offend, or give out false information. I read the booklet the day I received the kit, and must have got mixed up. I think I need to stop trying to post at 4am, haha.

I did purchase the habitat kit, and the booklet is for the habitat kit.

Since I goofed up..... I will quote the booklet verbatim.

"...Your log must go through an incubation period of 1 to 3 months. Keep the log in a warm preferably humid environment with a 74 degree temperature out of direct sun, and wind is the optimal incubation environment, or you can just place the log right into your terrarium and let it incubate there. For Moisture management soak your log in room temp water for 6 to 8 hours every 2 weeks if needed, until spawn run is complete (incubation). You will know your log is close to growing mushrooms when you see white mycelium on the ends of your log. This is white and fuzzy. This resembles white mold, as the mycelium continues to grow it will build up around the inoculation holes and you will see it glowing more and more as time goes on."

Again I apoligize. Maybe I am slightly dyslexic or something, as I remember from the top of my head I thought it read that It would take 8 months. I even told my wife that.

I hope this clears everything up, and I encourage the members of the board to purchase this "product" if even mildly interested. The kit is high quality, shipping is fast, the information is great, and obviously they stand behind there product, haha.

Rob

Grrrit

Sorry I'm not trying to nit pick your product, I'm just attempting to learn about it. When you say log, would corkbark fall in that category? Or other more readily available woods like mopani, malaysian, grape vine also work? I spent a little time on your site and read that hard wood was used. I'm just curious is all. Thank you for confirming the info on here.

Garrett

forestorganics68

Hello,

Thank you for the question. Really you can use any wood with this kit, with the exception of pines and cedars because of the sap contained in those are not condusive to mycelium growth. We recommend hardwood for the following reasons. The sapwood is what the mushroom fungus feeds on during the life of the log. The sapwood is the portion of the log that surrounds the hartwood, that's the dark core which is located in the very center of a log, the bark surrounds that. In hardwoods the sapwood is very dense and takes the fugus longer to consume it. In soft woods the sapwood is less dense and the fungus consumes it more rapidly cutting the life of the log in some cases by 50%. Softwoods include elm, birtch, cottonwood, maple, etc. A premium harwood to use is oak.
    For example lets say you use a hardwood log 12" long and 4" in diameter (by the way we give you enough spores in this kit to do a log this size if you want) Your general incubation time would be 2-3 months, and the life of your log would be 4-8 years.

If you did the same size log with a softwood your incubation time would be 1-2 months and the life of the log would be around 3-5 years.
    Hope this helps.

Bengbeng

Do you post to the UK/europe? Thanks in advance

forestorganics68

Quote Originally Posted by Bengbeng View Post
    Do you post to the UK/europe? Thanks in advance
    Yes we ship worldwide, there is a shipping charge for non US orders of 15.95. If you go to my website you can easily order from there
    Forest Organics - Home

Pezsas

hey I know you said that the mushrooms are 100% safe to both amphibians and Reptiles, but I just want to make sure. Are these safe if my reptiles (more specific my box turtle) maybe ingest them? and are the spores safe for people if they are breathed in?

Orlauskas

Very good but shiping to UK cost 60 dollars OMG, so expensive cannot afford that . Will try find some in UK .

Thread Information