Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red wigglers as a staple?

2oh1

Default Red wigglers as a staple?

anyone no if its alright to make red wigglers as a staple or are they to high in fat or something? also if i could make them the staple of my pacman should i dust them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red wigglers as a staple?

Quote Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
    anyone no if its alright to make red wigglers as a staple or are they to high in fat or something? also if i could make them the staple of my pacman should i dust them?
    I've heard that you can use night crawlers as a staple so I would assume that you could use red wigglers which are a type of earth worm as a staple. You would have to dust them though as they won't contain enough vitamins and calcium to sustain your frogs needs.

2oh1

I'm going to try them out it seems like my frog doesn't really like crickets too much

BG

What type of pacman do you have. They do get fed up with the same food. Wigglers are great dusted. Yes you can feed them as a staple,with the occasional insect,and wax worm.

2oh1

honestly i don't even no exactly what kind of pacman i have Name:  IMG_20110928_215821.jpg
Views: 2105
Size:  26.2 KB

all i no is he's not the aggressive kind...i never seen him eat in front of me. but i fed him a goliath worm he ate it that same night, but when it comes to crickets he just sits there so now I'm trying to find a different staple for him

Nationality
    [United States]

honestly i don't even no exactly what kind of pacman i have Name:  IMG_20110928_215821.jpg

all i no is he's not the aggressive kind...i never seen him eat in front of me. but i fed him a goliath worm he ate it that same night, but when it comes to crickets he just sits there so now I'm trying to find a different staple for him
    Congrtulations! You have a Ceratophrys Cranwelli. Nice one too. Try hornworms or dubia cockroaches.

Nationality
    [United States]

The issue could be that your frog is just having trouble catching the crickets. If you damage the crickets jumping hind legs by crushing the knee or just remove the hind legs completely it makes the crickets much slower and easier for you frog to catch. Try doing this and see if it works before switching staples.

9. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

BG

He's a nicely colored brown Cranwelli. If you live him alone with the crickets he wont eat them. Some are not chasers. Some are lazy and will wait for ever for a cricket to come to their nose so they can eat them.

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    He's a nicely colored brown Cranwelli. If you live him alone with the crickets he wont eat them. Some are not chasers. Some are lazy and will wait for ever for a cricket to come to their nose so they can eat them.
    so with that being said what should i do break there back legs and put them in front of his face? I'm planning on buying tongs after i get my paycheck...i would like to try dubias but my mom has a phobia for roaches if she saw them shed freak the hell out lmfao

BG

Yup yup yup,lol break there back legs. Then you dust them and put them in front of him with tongs .

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Yup yup yup,lol break there back legs. Then you dust them and put them in front of him with tongs .
    now i just gotta find where to buys one good tongs lol. u said they get bored of there food real easily and now thinking about it he was at the pet store for about a month just eating crickets the hole time so that might be why he's bored of them? I'm tryna jump start his growth spurt lol feels like he's the same size since I've gotten him. over the night tho he did change colors he's getting more green

Sublime

now i just gotta find where to buys one good tongs lol. u said they get bored of there food real easily and now thinking about it he was at the pet store for about a month just eating crickets the hole time so that might be why he's bored of them? I'm tryna jump start his growth spurt lol feels like he's the same size since I've gotten him. over the night tho he did change colors he's getting more green
    Exo-Terra Feeding Tongs | Josh's Frogs. Soft-coated tips are the best option for you, your pac won't damage his mouth lunging or biting down on the stainless steel forceps. You can also find this model made by exo terra in reptile shops locally if you don't want to pay shipping online. Where you getting your red wigglers from? Walmart sells them pretty cheap, cheaper than pet stores price.

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Exo-Terra Feeding Tongs | Josh's Frogs. Soft-coated tips are the best option for you, your pac won't damage his mouth lunging or biting down on the stainless steel forceps. You can also find this model made by exo terra in reptile shops locally if you don't want to pay shipping online. Where you getting your red wigglers from? Walmart sells them pretty cheap, cheaper than pet stores price.
    my brother works for a pet supply company so basically any food i need for my pacman i call him up and he brings them to me for free only thing they don't have are the roaches

Sublime

my brother works for a pet supply company so basically any food i need for my pacman i call him up and he brings them to me for free only thing they don't have are the roaches
    Oh ok cool, yeah most places don't carry feeder roaches (dubia, blatta latteralis, madagascar hissing roaches, etc.) and if they do very limited supply. Might have to buy them online if your interested in them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Don't. Buy worms from wal mart. It has been known that the soil that the worms are kept in is toxic for frogs and kills them. Ask Jessica of Ivory Reptiles. She said they lost several frogs because the soil the worms were kept in was toxic. She even had a friend test the soil and the test came back positive for toxins. DO not buy from wal mart. Just letting you guys know to save you any grief later on down the road.

2oh1

has any of ur frogs gone into a sudden shock? mine just did while i was cleaning his cage and i let him soak when i took him out i almost thought he was dead let him sit in the critter cage i keep my crickets in and put the heater on and now he's ok again not moving as much as before tho ...scared the living **** out of me

Nationality
    [United States]

has any of ur frogs gone into a sudden shock? mine just did while i was cleaning his cage and i let him soak when i took him out i almost thought he was dead let him sit in the critter cage i keep my crickets in and put the heater on and now he's ok again not moving as much as before tho ...scared the living **** out of me
    The only time it seemed like Grif ever went into sudden shock was when I had a vet give him a shot for tape worm. He suddenly became really sluggish and then was unresponsive and I thought it killed him. He didn't move at all. After I got him home I imediately soaked him in luke warm water then put him back in his warm enclosure. After a few minutes he became his old self again and is perfectly healthy now. You may have startled your frog and maybe it surprised him/her so much he went into a form of shock.

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Don't. Buy worms from wal mart. It has been known that the soil that the worms are kept in is toxic for frogs and kills them. Ask Jessica of Ivory Reptiles. She said they lost several frogs because the soil the worms were kept in was toxic. She even had a friend test the soil and the test came back positive for toxins. DO not buy from wal mart. Just letting you guys know to save you any grief later on down the road.
    I buy the all natural 25 count large night crawler Bait Connection tub at Walmart. No additives (Dyes, flavorings, etc.), just says 25 count large night crawlers. The soil or compost their kept in I'm sure doesn't contain any type of chemicals. It would kill off the night crawlers? Does Jessica know for sure the cause of her frogs deaths were leading to that? Petco or reptile shops sells the same brand of night crawlers in the tub, Bait Connection. Walmart just sells them cheaper. You would have to link me to an article confirming that the soil contains toxins before I stop buying them, everything has worked out fine. A lot of people on this forum recommend getting them from their, including John I'm pretty sure. Thanks for your concern.

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    The only time it seemed like Grif ever went into sudden shock was when I had a vet give him a shot for tape worm. He suddenly became really sluggish and then was unresponsive and I thought it killed him. He didn't move at all. After I got him home I imediately soaked him in luke warm water then put him back in his warm enclosure. After a few minutes he became his old self again and is perfectly healthy now. You may have startled your frog and maybe it surprised him/her so much he went into a form of shock.
    he's ok now i wanna take him to the vet soon for a check up

IvoryReptiles

The shock symptom sounds alot like toxing out. Just saying.
    Sublime, I will dig up the lab paperwork we have on the analysis of the soils in the nightcrawler containers. Our Walmart does NOT use the same supplier that Petsmart or Petco use in our city. We usually get ours from the local Academy Sports store ..... they use a different supplier and we have never lost any frogs due to those worms.

We breed the frogs and lost quite a few when we used Walmart worms at one point. We first thought it might be the water so we had it tested and it was fine. Then we had the coco fiber & the paper towels we use tested as well....no problems. The Worms from Walmart came back with results that were proving to be toxic to the frogs. It may have been an isolated incident, but I'm not willing to use our animals as a test for it. I just thought I'd share the information so that others could avoid the heartache themselves.........but again, I only have results for the ONE store here in Corpus that we had issues with, and it could be isolated.
    I will advise that you open the containers and take a good whiff......if it smells bad, even a little bit, AVOID it. When the worms start to die & decompose, they ARE lethal to anything you feed them to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information