Thread: Humidity problem

2oh1

Default Humidity problem

so i sprayed my tank a hole lot today even mad a lil puddle in one spot and i filled the waterfowl to the top yet the humidity won't go up its been at 60 all day -_- is my meter wrong or is it because the heating pad is behind both the thermometer and the hygrometer?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: humididty problem

Many issues could be either causing a bad reading or the levels not going up. Most hydrometer are really not that accurate. I usually compare a few at the store before I buy and if a few are reading similar I go with one of them.

Lighting burns off humidity as will the heat pad. Placement of the hydrometer will also have an effect. I usually place the hydrometer near where my frogs spend most of the time. I also have part of my top covered with a piece of glass (plastic wrap will also work) to help retain the humidity. You should notice your humidity slightly rise once the lights have been out for a little while.

What frogs are you keeping and a pic of the tank may help in finding out whats going on.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

2oh1

I have a Pacman frog.I diddnt have a problem before it just started happening today maybe its because the temperature dropped so much outside? idk but heres the picture of the tank Name:  IMG_20110928_215635.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  65.9 KB

IvoryReptiles

That's a Critter Keeper, so maybe try placing a strip of packing tape over one side of the vent slits........temps will affect the humidity and so will air flow. One side of vent slits will be fine and covering one side of them will help hold in the humidity.
    What are the temps in the enclosure normally?

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    That's a Critter Keeper, so maybe try placing a strip of packing tape over one side of the vent slits........temps will affect the humidity and so will air flow. One side of vent slits will be fine and covering one side of them will help hold in the humidity.
    What are the temps in the enclosure normally?
    mid to high 80s

2oh1

dropped down to 50's now but the lil plastic screen at the top is all fogged up? doesn't really make sense to me wouldn't that mean that its humid in there

wesleybrouwer

That is not a proper homing to any pet bigger then an insect if you would ask me,
    but you don't, so well.......

If you take out the hygrometer,

make a towel damp and wrap it good around the hygrometer,
    let it sit for about 10 minutes before reading the humidity.
    It should say it is 100% or close to it.

Don't know wich brand you have, but some can be adjusted on the back by a screw.
    Otherwise just note what the deviation is and you know what to add to you're readings.

And please, consider a proper viv. for you're frog.

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybrouwer View Post
    That is not a proper homing to any pet bigger then an insect if you would ask me,
    but you don't, so well.......

If you take out the hygrometer,

make a towel damp and wrap it good around the hygrometer,
    let it sit for about 10 minutes before reading the humidity.
    It should say it is 100% or close to it.

Don't know wich brand you have, but some can be adjusted on the back by a screw.
    Otherwise just note what the deviation is and you know what to add to you're readings.

And please, consider a proper viv. for you're frog.
    my frogs like is only an inch that tank is a foot and a half long and like 8 inches wide its not his permanent cage its just temp. till he gets bigger i heard to much space for these pacman frogs and they'll get stressed out. ill try the towel trick see if that works thanks

wesleybrouwer

Yes, in nature they seem to be stressed out permanently

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybrouwer View Post
    Yes, in nature they seem to be stressed out permanently
    Most breeders of these frogs reccomend keeping the babies and small Pacs in a critter keeper. A large critter keeper is just fine. The wild is not the issue. Its to help the baby be able to get food easily because ther won't be a lot of space for the food to get away from the baby. Catching food is crutial during the first stages of growth for these frogs. The more food they can easilt aquire the stronger and healthier the frog will be. Saying it is not a proper home for anything larger than an insect is an overstatement. A keeper that size also makes it easier for the owner to keep the frog warm. Humidity usually isn't a problem either. I assume that the persons gauge is malfuntioning which I have had problems with in the past. I used a setup the same way to allow my little baby Pac to adjust to me and feeding before moving him/her to a larger home. This is a perfectly fine setup for a very small baby Pac.

BG

I agree with Jessica and Grif. The critter keepers have to many vents to begin with. even if you mist every day ,you loose the humidity. I have a baby pacman in a critter keeper and i spray more, then the containers that have 1/8 holes drilled on the side. I have it perfect where i don't get mold. Even when the room gets 60-75 % humid. Just cover the top with tape about 3/4 closed.

2oh1

it seems that having the gauges by the heating pad was what was messing everything up. i switched the gauges to the other side and now the humidity went up to 70 I'm planning to tape all the side vents on the cage crickets could escape from there anyways so i was planning to do it either way

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
    it seems that having the gauges by the heating pad was what was messing everything up. i switched the gauges to the other side and now the humidity went up to 70 I'm planning to tape all the side vents on the cage crickets could escape from there anyways so i was planning to do it either way
    Yes, having the gauges directly over the heating pad will definitely throw the readings off. It's best to have them in the center of the back wall. Your terrarium should have a temperature gradient- the side with the heating pad should be the hot and drier side and the opposite end should be cooler and wetter (and should have the water dish, like you have). Having the gauges in the middle will give you the best reading. Also, make sure you leave about 1/3 of the vents uncovered so your frog will get proper air flow.

BG

I was going to tell you that too lol they just didn't look right. I'm against the plastic heater thing all together due all respect. Its too risky for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
    it seems that having the gages by the heating pad was what was messing everything up. i switched the gages to the other side and now the humidity went up to 70 I'm planning to tape all the side vents on the cage crickets could escape from there anyways so i was planning to do it either way

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    I was going to tell you that too lol they just didn't look right. I'm against the plastic heater thing all together due all respect. Its too risky for me.
    completely understand only resason I'm using this heater is because i did a ton looking around on the internet and its basically the safest heater to use, every time i searched for recommended plastic heaters the 5-10 gallon zoo med heater always popped up because it only uses like 4 wats and doesn't bring the cage higher then 10 degrees of room temperature which is perfect cuz in the winter time my radiator is always on so his cage should stay at around 75-80 degrees..well i hope i think this is going to be one of the worst winters yet tri-state area for u lol

Thread Information